Looks great - especially with the lights on showing of the figures :)

I'd be interested to see how you did the lighting and those magnetic closures etc., to give me ideas for when I do mine if the Grim Reaper doesn't take me first :lol:

Copyright reasons? What a ridiculous excuse! I've seen Eagle 1 numerous times and taken loads of photos and so have lots of others.

Whoever told you that is being obstreperous and selfish - they will not be the copyright owners, even if they own the model. Copyright resides with ITV and they've not shown any efforts to prevent taking a picture of the models.

In fact taking a photo of a model will not be a breach of copyright in any sensible reading of copyright laws. Its trying to use that photo to make money for yourself when you are in breach of copyright laws.

It happened twice.

Once at Fanderson, there was a big sign up saying ITC banned the taking of photos for that reason, even though the Eagle & Interceptor were in private hands! There were a lot of unhappy people there (I sneaked a couple of shots with a telephoto lens from another room!).

The second time was at a toy museum. They had a display of the replicas made for the Thunderbirds and Stingray comics released after the BBC featured the shows. The models were made by Martin Bower so were exceptional replicas, and again people were not happy. The museum was free, but a fee was charged to enter the Thunderbirds exhibition. Again ITC was quoted as the reason for the ban.

Mike, I will take some pics of my arrangements and post them up. :)

This is how I lighted the cockpit of the Eagle.

I'm no whiz with electronics so I purchased a cheap set of battery powered lights from a well know high street retailer:

E1.jpgupload image online free

I cut away the unneeded lights, its not a waste as I can just about solder them up to another power pack for other projects.

The battery pack was fitted into the pod, and as the kit supplies the roof separately, it was secured with magnets, and that in turn was secured to the spine frame with more magnets.

E7.jpgupload image online free

E6.jpgupload image online free

I cut a hole in the base of the pod to access the on/off switch, then the LED and it's wiring was fed through the forward corridor section and out through the back of the cockpit.

E5.jpgupload image online free

E4.jpgupload image online free

To ensure there were no light leaks and to maximise the light in the cockpit I lined the interior with self adhesive aluminium foil.

E3.jpgupload image online free

Everything fits together with no hint to the modifications. At the Modelkraft show at Milton Keynes I left it switched on for the whole show.

The final pic is from the unseen episode "Attack of the giant idiot cat!" :)

E2.jpgupload image online free

• Like 3

Nice approach. In my experience when using AA or AAA batteries to power a handful of LEDs, you can get over 24 hours of light power without much of a loss in intensity. The beauty of the CR-123A battery I used in mine is it is about half the size and weight of AAAs, yet it has more milliamp hour capacity. It is gradually becoming my battery of choice for these light projects where I am space restricted for storage.

• Like 2

I use CR2032 "coin" batteries a lot now however they do only have about 225 mAh as opposed to 2700 for an alkaline AA battery, but for a small number of LEDs (5 or less), they are great. they are 3v each so two take up much less room that a 4xAA battery pack!

• Like 1