P-51D Mustang from Forces of Valor...

Andre B

You say it has some shape issues (which are?) and some interesting parts. Looking at the rather amateur video, it looked like a very ordinary kit with nothing particular to note, apart from the very large attachment places, which I suspect is not what you meant. By itself, that's no reason not to play with it, of course.

I have the F of V Spitfire Mk IX, which I naively bought for (I suspect) the same reason as the OP is inquiring about the Mustang; that is, the "detailed" engine bay and removable cowling panels. The Spitfire is really just a toy; the cowling area is dimensionally closer to a Mk V, IIRC, but is far from accurate for either; I've hidden the thing away out of embarrassment that I actually paid money for it. Here are links which might make things clearer; I couldn't find decent sprue images of either kit:

Spitfire (photos are in a frame to the right of the text):

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=8547

Mustang (the guy who built it actually spent time detailing it!):

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/forces-of-valor-1-72-p-51d-mustang.32823/

John

Thanks John: those Spitfire wings do look terrible, far worse than the Tamiya ones. I can see a couple of problems with the P-51 - the fat dorsal strake, the way the canopy sits too wide for the fuselage. I don't think that I'll bother.

I especially like those three massive bomb shackles on the Spitfire - Typhoons, maybe even Lancasters, would tremble with envy!

John

Edited by John Thompson

Is the reviewer of the Spitfire being sarcastic in his review? The kit looks awful, I think the Airfix Mk IX looks simplistic and basic but it least it fit's together and looks like a Spitfire! The forces of valor one looks like bin fodder.

thanks

Mike

They'd be better off with some of the Hobby Boss easy builds (at least the fit properly) and some of the simpler Airfix kits like the Spitfire IX and Bf109G-6....

thanks

Mike

Yes the HB Easy kit builds up well.

51d%2004.JPG

• 3 years later...

Got the FoV P-51D today. For sure it has some interesting shape issues. But the first impression is that they wanted to make an "good quality kit' but lacked experience and knewledge. I be back with some photocomparison together with the Airfix and Tamiya kurs. Maybe I build it in the upcoming P-51 Mustang Group Build...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1