Cold War Aircraft Modeller Issue 3 - Cover Redesign 2.0

Spence

Hello everyone!

Three years ago I created a couple of my own books and then two editions of an independent magazine that I designed and then had printed in town. The plan was always to try and release some more magazines, but time has never been on my side and though constantly asked when I would, only two issues have so far seen the light of day. So, as this is an itch that I can't seem to scratch, I've decided to work on a third edition of Cold War Aircraft Modeller and though I have no concrete plans regarding content, have spent a few days getting to grips with what I need to do, to reproduce the look and feel of issues 1 & 2. As before, I've gone for a really clean look, using non-modelling titles as my inspiration. These are not set in stone - nor are they representative of actual content - being simply my own practice pages to learn the program and are most likely to change - but at least I've made a start! As for when this will see the light of day, we'll have to wait and see...

Spence :)

Screen%252520Shot%2525202016-03-06%25252

Screen%252520Shot%2525202016-03-06%25252

Edited by Spence
  • Like 12

so I'm looking forward to the next one when its gestation period is over :D.

Me too - it's taking an age to rebuild all of the templates! Hopefully, it will look smarter this time around as well...

Thanks for the comment!

• Like 1

I enjoyed the first two issues Spence, still have them and always wondered what happened to the third, when you started you're new job I thought that would be the end of it. Looking forward to another issue when it's ready to go!

Muzz

Hey everyone!

So, following on from the weekend's shenanigans, I've spent a few hours this evening working on the cover template. Though I had this on my laptop, it was proving troublesome to export it onto my desktop, so I took the opportunity to completely rebuild the file, clean up the logo and all of the text. As before, the cover is simple and in-keeping with the looking of the contents. Once again, this is a practice run, but I'm happy with it - see what you think.

Screen%252520Shot%2525202016-03-07%25252

• Like 6

Well, at the risk of sounding picky... (what, on Britmodeller? ;-)) IMHO (absolutely...) the logotype looks confused to me. The sans-serif fonts make the letters more like shapes, ramming them together with no leading like that hampers the readability no end, and you don't know whether to read the W and M as two letters or a reflection. It's not like it ends up with a particularly striking shape either -- the "COLD WAR MOD" is a big jagged-edged block. If it were me (which I completely accept that it ain't) I'd use the dark blue for "Cold War" and see how that looks, or risk building the odd tank and drop the "AIRCRAFT" bit for a nice solid COLD WAR MODELLER block...

None of which will stop me welcoming Issue 3 to add to my shelf with the other two, obviously...

bestest,

M.

• Like 2

I have No. 1, missed No. 2 and am looking forward to No. 3.

Cover looks fine to me, though the mirror W and M did make me stop and double take. But, perhaps, that is the intention...

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

Well, at the risk of sounding picky... (what, on Britmodeller? ;-)) IMHO (absolutely...) the logotype looks confused to me. The sans-serif fonts make the letters more like shapes, ramming them together with no leading like that hampers the readability no end, and you don't know whether to read the W and M as two letters or a reflection. It's not like it ends up with a particularly striking shape either -- the "COLD WAR MOD" is a big jagged-edged block. If it were me (which I completely accept that it ain't) I'd use the dark blue for "Cold War" and see how that looks, or risk building the odd tank and drop the "AIRCRAFT" bit for a nice solid COLD WAR MODELLER block...

None of which will stop me welcoming Issue 3 to add to my shelf with the other two, obviously...

bestest,

M.

Thanks for the comments - most interesting. Having read what you wrote, I've taken another look and simplified it further. Here's what I came up with - I won't keep tweaking it, but maybe now it's easier to read... :)

Spence

Screen%252520Shot%2525202016-03-08%25252

• Like 1

I preferred the original look/font/cover. But I would buy a copy as its the contents I enjoyed most the last time, though missed out on the printed first edition. :weep:

Glad your picking this up again.

Roger.

• Like 3

I hadn't got back into modelling three years ago so missed the first two but, as my modelling interests lean more and more towards Cold War reconnaissance aircraft, I'd hate to miss #3. How will it be sold?

My two cents: Cold War smaller and in a lighter blue (ice blue? :winkgrin: ), Aircraft Modeller larger, same line.

Cheers

Interesting - so do I! I'm still at the early stages of designing this, so may well go back to what I started with. Who knows!

Thanks for the comment.

Yup, I did too. I liked the 'reflected' character - made it look more like a logo than just type :).

With apologies to Spence for messing with his artwork, this is what I was trying to get at:

CWAM.jpg

Again, design is a very subjective thing, so YMMV muchly. Anyway, whatever direction the cover goes, I shall be looking forward very much to the informative articles, beautiful models and excellent photography within. I'd say "with bated breath", but I might asphyxiate, and I don't want to add deadline pressure to the stew...

bestest,

M.

• Like 3