1/48 Beaufighter from Airfix? or maybe not?

Black Knight

I bought the Airfix 1/72 Beaufighter TF.X kit last week.

On one long side of the box is this;

Beaufighter%20box%2001s_zpsxbcrblp4.jpg

The pictures are of the 1/72 kit ~ its what is written.

Is this a hint of things to come?

Is it just a typo from bad copy & paste of the box artwork?

• Like 1

I'd guess at a simple error on the box, but having said that I wouldn't be surprised if they did bring 1/48 scale Beaufighters out next year given that they seemed to do 1/72 spitfires, hurricanes, defiants, and then bring 1/48 versions out. Be nice if they did, I'd buy some!!

• Like 2

Both Beaufighter and Blenheim should be on Airfix to do list in 1/48, Tamiya as nice as it was, is a bit outdated tooling compared to what we are seeing today,

and Classic Airframes Blenheim, well its time for proper tooling.

Just please Beaufighter Mk.Ic..........

Theres a vicious rumour circulating on LSP that Airfix are about to break into 1/32 with the Beaufighter........?

Hi

I would have thought a 1:32 blenheim would have been a better sales plan for airfix

cheers

jerry

No chance. They don't do 1/32 aeroplanes, and have fairly recently said they don't want to.

If i was a big business, i wouldnt let anyone know my plans,lest i get pipped to the post, regardless of how enthusiastic i appeared to the customers , so i would imagine EVEN IF they were halfway through some tooling, they would continue to deny it......?

Whilst i do agree, the comments on LSP are quite persuasive and whilst they corrently DONT do 32nd that means they dont earn profit on 32nd, and there is money out there for the right aircraft in the right scale, i think a Blenheim is a better choice personally, i would buy it in 32nd, as would many, not in 48th or 72 nd though.(although many will and not consider 24th or 32nd)

24th is the best scale, i await the Sea Fury, Swordfish, and Corsair with great anticipation ;)

1/24 is Airfix niche, and has always been very very good seller, both in good and bad times for the brand. Today they can produce 1/24 kit for a fraction

of cost it took to tool similar kit even decade ago. More importantly 1/24 scale had/has special allure to far wider customer base than more conventional scales,

But single engined is the way to go, Mosquito sales have not been stellar, and for vast majority of European households twin engined bombers in 1/24 are way too big ( as are 1/32 jets )

If I were to pick, I would replace sale leaders of the range- Spitfire Mk.I , Hurricane MK.I and Bertha Stuka with new toolings,

aside from before mentioned

------------------------------------------

Hawker Fury Mk.I

Gloster Gladiator Mk.I/II

D.H.Vampire Mk ?

D.H Tiger Moth

Hawker Tempest Mk.V ( majority of Sabre parts already tooled )

I'd still put money on a 1:32 Beaufighter from Tamiya in the not too distant future ...

Totally Agree…..I'm surprised someone like Zoukei-Mura hasn't done it rather than insist on issuing kits of subjects that have already been covered.

I'd guess at a simple error on the box, but having said that I wouldn't be surprised if they did bring 1/48 scale Beaufighters out next year given that they seemed to do 1/72 spitfires, hurricanes, defiants, and then bring 1/48 versions out. Be nice if they did, I'd buy some!!

I wonder if Bill Bosworth is still in circulation? Such a project was I believe in planning with his Accurate Miniatures range and supposedly 'imminent' when matters went T.U,

• Like 1

Such a project was I believe in planning with his Accurate Miniatures range and supposedly 'imminent' when matters went T.U,

I don't think it was that far advanced. It was dropped when Tamiya announced their Beaufighter, which was some years before AM's demise.

Cheers,

Bill.