Dragon He 219

Hi All,

Please find below my interpretation of Dragon's He 219. I chose to complete her 'in flight' as I love the shape of this aircraft. Completed oob with the exception of airfix aircrew.

I based the scheme loosely on the one at NASM (http://www.warbirdsnews.com/uncategorized/nasms-heinkel-he-219-restoration-update.html) and some images from the internet. Weathering was kept to a minimum as they were still very new when the war ended. Paints are all Italeri Acrylics.

Hope that you enjoy.

IMG_0670_zpsrxk73jgy.jpg

IMG_0676_zpsujl6ctx8.jpg

IMG_0675_zpsqng2kkn2.jpg

IMG_0674_zpszztdqkk4.jpg

IMG_0673_zpseojzqrm7.jpg

IMG_0672_zpstg3rjopk.jpg

IMG_0671_zpsvlzpytbi.jpg

IMG_0667_zpsnfzdlo2g.jpg

IMG_0676_zpsujl6ctx8.jpg

IMG_0675_zpsqng2kkn2.jpg

And with a little photoshop (actually GIMP) magic....

He%20219%20in%20flight%203_zpsgmt6voym.j

He%20219%20in%20flight%203%20Background_

He%20219%20in%20flight%201_zpsp1iemz4b.j

He%20219%20in%20flight%201%20Background_

He%20219%20in%20flight%202_zpsjakxxjhv.j

Thanks for looking

Shane

• Like 27

One of my top favourite aircraft, and what a lovely build!

The authentic light grey squiggle, the refined radar array and the inflight posing all look very convincing. And the photoshopped action pics are very evocative, especially the first one. (You may have to work a bit on the outlines of the tail and wings of the second one ;-).)

Excellent modelling – bravo!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Well done indeed, it is a fine looking aircraft and your model really does it justice.

I haven't been able to finish mine, I made a mistake fitting the tailplane and now they are at an odd angle so I'll need to hack them off and try sorting that out.

Duncan B

Thanks guys for your kind words.

awesome squiggle work! did you apply the camo with a brush?

:analintruder::thumbsup:

Agree abpout the awesomeness of your squiggles . Please explain your technique.

Alistair

Reini and Alistair,

I spent a lot of time thinking about how to do this and tried a number of techniques out on my poor old test model.

My initial thoughts were to try and mask it with blutak or string but neither worked out at all. I nearly gave up but really wanted to do her in wellenmuster (squiggle) camo.

I had recently bought a cheap brush with long bristles (almost like a pinstriping brush) and, after a lot of practice, was able to reasonably quickly apply the squiggles.

The trick I found was to thin the paint to airbrush consistency, load the brush the touch it on a piece of paper to remove the excess then apply. With the long bristles it holds a lot of paint and allows for long strokes and nice curves.

My initial plan was to use oil paints because of the longer drying time but ended up using Italeri Acrylics and, I almost forgot to mention, this was applied over a gloss varnish. Sorry to waffle on but hope that this explains the way I did it.

One of my top favourite aircraft, and what a lovely build!

The authentic light grey squiggle, the refined radar array and the inflight posing all look very convincing. And the photoshopped action pics are very evocative, especially the first one. (You may have to work a bit on the outlines of the tail and wings of the second one ;-).)

Excellent modelling – bravo!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, really appreciate your kind words.

The radar array from the kit is an etched thing of beauty and the easiest to fit out of all the Nachtjagers I have done. I was concerned it would look 2d but because it is so fine it looks just right in 1/72.

My first real go at 'photoshopping' and yeah that second one does look like my son cut it out with a pair of scissors and pasted it on to the background :banghead:Might have another go if I find time.

Thanks again guys.

Shane