Airfix 1/24 Typhoon

Hi all

After 30 years I've decided to give model making another go.

If I'm honest one of the reasons I've not done it before is the unbelievable standard that some people are capable of turning out ( like most of you on here!) however once I started looking into it I became aware of all the amazing products that are now available.

So here's the result of 2 months of work, the main focus was to produce a heavily ( perhaps too heavily?) weathered aircraft and get used to using the various products.

I used maskol for the paint chips, worn effects for the heavily worn areas on the wings, dark dirt wash, some weathering powders and oil paints.

I did study a lot of photos and tried to recreate the wear in the right areas, such as the heavy wear on leading edges and the foot traffic over the wings by pilots and ground crew.7F81F3B8-A46A-4697-B1E6-14BE93A57926_zps

Anyway here's the photos and be gentle with me.....A50B2C96-0BB4-4E65-9D76-5AD952AE0A85_zps

For those with eagle eyes I've got an exhaust missing and Airfix don't know when they can supply one.6F423D35-E5D7-4C29-A481-738C2AB49513_zps164EE686-3620-41CF-B0EE-D83495C6C1A2_zps042A4CB6-8D92-4573-BF10-C9544C00AFF0_zps7E41F96E-47D8-407A-A4EF-228BAB686F72_zpsFB3A4FDF-1A8C-44BF-B322-AA215D9339AB_zps9C709442-EA7E-474B-B61A-3952FB714FF5_zpsAF57331A-4E1D-430B-A487-F7821823CADD_zps

• Like 57

2 Months work????

I'm very glad that you made a (triumphant) return to scale modelling!

You are obviously a very good artist as well as an accomplished modeller, to build and weather that Typhoon so realistically.

Weathering applied in the right places and only just enough as well. Just as rough as some of the aircraft I've seen in b& w photos, a lot of them weren't all spic & span.

I wish I could reach that standard in 6 months let alone 2!

Martin.

• Like 2

We don't need to be gentle with you. You have done well. If that's your minimum standard then I look forward to your next step. You've done what I've always wanted to achieve.

That's a great model.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

First after 30 years!! Wow! Wish my models looked like that after a break since yesterday!

Beautifully made and weathered!

Well done. Looking forward to your next build!

And welcome to Britmodeller - what a debut!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Yup, great modeling there. What she deserves is some improvement of the photography. Would make it easier to appreciate the good modeling workmanship.

Have to agree here. The model looks stunning, impeccable and heavily weathered (and I'm all for a well beaten AC :winkgrin: ) But while it's easier to perceive this through the close-up pics, the other ones look a bit blurry, which is a bit of shame, seen the masterpiece you have produced! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everyone

I'm not quite sure what to say, I wasn't expecting feedback like this, so thank you all for taking the trouble to comment.

I made an awful lot of kits in my childhood, but the only weathering I did was dry brushing and like I said it's the unbelievable quality of some of the models I've seen that put me off to a certain extent, thinking I couldn't do anything like that.

So your kind comments have certainly inspired me, but having seen some of the stuff on here I know I'll never achieve that sort of standard.

But it's going to be fun trying and I have to say I've really enjoyed my return to the hobby.

The Typhoon is a bit on the big side so my next project is a 1/35 Achillies tank, needless to say it will be heavily weathered. Depending on how it comes out I'll pop it on here as well.

Have to say I'm glad I've found such a great forum, thanks again.

• Like 2