A Trio Too Far (2 x Mk XII's, Mk 21 - 1/72)

Thanks everybody!

I got the decals on the Mk 21, they're a little darker than the painted stripes, but close enough.

Phooey, just noticed that 'kink' in front of the tail. I'll have to do my best to fill that somehow.

PIC LOST TO PHOTOBUCKET

Don't worry, I took this pic before wiping away the excess ink wash from the cowl fasteners.

Overwing bumps gone.

PIC LOST TO PHOTOBUCKET

• Like 11

Hi Patrice, I had seven Spitfires on the go at one point, but the three Mk XIV's are complete, so now it's down to four: the Mk 21 and Mk XII's in this thread, and a Whif Mk 26 in the What-if section. It's madness.

I'm trying really hard not to start three Mk V's that are sitting on the bench: an Airfix Mk I/II kit that can be built as a MK VA, a KP Mk VB, and a Sword Mk VC, all in 303 Sqn markings.

I filled the 'kink' with some Perfect Plastic Putty, and primed it with some Lifecolor Light grey.

PIC LOST TO PHOTOBUCKET

The grey blended in better than the Vallejo Metal Color Aluminum - that stuff is shiny.

PIC LOST TO PHOTOBUCKET

A few coats of matt varnish will be required to blend it in.

Counter rotating prop construction started.

I think that SH has done a wonderful job of making a rather complicated prop fit together easily and intuitively. It would be such a great kit if the fuselage and wings weren't a little funny looking.

PIC LOST TO PHOTOBUCKET

• Like 11

Good save Cookie :)

Can I ask how you get the separate prop blades at the same angle please? Do you do this by eye or are those bits of plastic / resin a cunning jig? I always have problems but yours look spot on.

• Like 2

I guess they're like that to allow 'precise' modellers to vary the pitch.

I certainly do that but not necessarily the same on all the blades :(

• Like 1

Good morning Cookie

Seven Spitfires at the same time :wow:I must say that I am very impressed , if I where you I wouldn't hesitate to start 3 more :winkgrin: ..

Very :goodjob: on the prop

Patrice

• Like 1

IIRC chaps, the SH prop blades have square pegs, so they fit in the spinner at the proper incidence out of the gate. I seem to recall stealing the SH contraprop for my resin Seafire 47 build, much easier to work with.

• Like 2

Yes, as PC says, the pegs are square, the fit is precise and the instructions are clear. I know I keep saying this, but SH kit is well worth it, even if the actual kit is never built.

You are a bad influence Patrice! Well, maybe it wouldn't hurt to get the cockpits started...

• Like 1

You are a bad influence Patrice! Well, maybe it wouldn't hurt to get the cockpits started...

Here he goes again ... :frantic::D :d :D

• Like 1

This looks great - I just wonder about the question mark. In my memory this looked to be painted above / inside a yellow (?) circle. I cannot find my reference pic and can be wrong but maybe you want to check before you apply the clear cote.

René

• Like 1

Your very skilled cookie, very nice work!

Love the i sea of the A,B,C spitfire mk v.... But maybe get these tucked away before your head explodes or you paint a mk v a as a mk xii by mistake!

Rob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rene, here's the reference picture I'm using. I don't see any circles, although the 'space' in the racing stripe for the "?" seems to be circular.

Good advice Rob. I fully intended to start on the MK V's last night, but thought I'd add a few bits and bobs to the Mk 21 first and ended up finishing it.

Neither the Airfix or SH kits seem to come with a rear view mirror, so I did my best to scratch one from plastic rod.

PIC LOST TO PHOTOBUCKET

Then cleaned up the canopy a little, and reluctantly added some grime to the wheel wells and wing roots as at least a nod to the dirty appearance in the reference pic.

PIC LOST TO PHOTOBUCKET

PIC LOST TO PHOTOBUCKET

I'll try and get some gallery pics up soon, and try and refrain from starting three more Spitfires, but there is more room on the bench now...

• Like 10