1/72 Seafire XV

Thankfully the waiting for the Edgar Spitfire Group Build is over, and we are up and running as of yesterday, "K5054 Day" (which I'm starting to think should be a Public Holiday - petition to No 10 anyone?).

But what's a man to do whilst waiting for 5 March to arrive? I can now reassure you that I have not been idle, and here's the proof: it's the little Sword Seafire XV (late version), which I've had in the stash for a year but kept getting it out, giving it a good looking at and then putting it away, concerned at the amout of work required.

Anyway I've taken the plunge, and I'm pleased I did. Yes, I have moaned about the wings of Sword kits being a bit short. But the rest of the kit is beautiful so I've got back in my box and started work. As it's a short-run kit it needs patience and care: the cockpit detail is very nice and whilst there's no reassuring click as the parts fit in, fit they do and the internals look convincing. Care needs to be taken too with the upper cowlings and with the tailplanes to get them aligned properly. And the wing/fuselage join works if you dont rush it. Anyway here's how far I've got, all primed up and waiting for paint:

IMG_1421_zpsicrgfcrb.jpg

IMG_1420_zpsqjbyskxm.jpg

The only real modification I have made is to the propeller: for me the Sword spinner is a little short, so I sawed the tip off and grafted on the front end of a spare Special Hobby Griffon spinner. It needed some fettling but I think it looks better now. The blades also needed some shaping and I think they're just about there (I'll post more pictures soon).

In terms of colour scheme I'm keen to do something similar to PR503 which has been restored in the States (see my profile image). For me it's Seafire elegance at its best.

I must say that I'm now converted to the Sword kits. I've ordered a Mk III Seafire and the excellent work of other BMers such as Procopius and Tony O'T inspires me to do a Vc too.

I'll try to finish a couple of less advanced Spitfire projects in the Group Build. In the meantime I hope to provide more updates on this Seafire soon.

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 8

Very nice work! I have the early version, and I may get back to it seeing what excellent results you can get with a little care, on what is basically the same kit. I do plan on buying this very version also.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

I must say that I'm now converted to the Sword kits. I've ordered a Mk III Seafire and the excellent work of other BMers such as Procopius and Tony O'T inspires me to do a Vc too.

Swoon!

I had no idea the wings were short -- knowledge really does only bring pain.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I've had this on the go for ages, but progress has been glacial. For two years it looked like this:

49169418-ae2c-45eb-a583-1970dfb62b29.jpg

ff7ab313-0754-4069-9967-2f7e9ac39424.jpg

And then I painted the spinner...

resized_76372967-6e06-4b9c-9029-bf07dc7f

All the while I was mulling over (i) what paint scheme to do and (ii) a problem that I'd noticed with having too much dihedral on the wings. Eventually, and recently, I bit the bullet and took steps to resolve the dihedral issue by cracking open the wing-root joins, inserting a bit of plastic on each side, re-glueing, filling, sanding and re-priming. It's not perfect, but it's better, so I'm pushing ahead. 

On the paint-scheme issue, I have long thought this to be one of the best-looking schemes on any Spitfire or Seafire:

aa37695d-3862-419a-ac27-bf9d4310b63b.jpg

c94cfc6f-43d6-4cc2-bbb8-5144999c5e99.jpg

Only problem was, I was unsure what colours they actually are. Some say dark blue over silver, or black over silver, or black over sky, or dark blue over sky. A further photo in this book:

resized_f3373330-d207-4a1c-a551-6d3835a0

119aac8f-5e1d-4d0e-b893-0fe324fb1b55.JPG

and many hours of pondering, led me to conclude that it's black over sky, with a silver spinner. I'm guessing that serials and stencils are light grey (having considered also white, sky, red and silver). There are no serials under the wings, as shown by the above photo.

That having been decided, it was time to commit to paint. I used Mr Hobby matt black for the uppers, and Tamiya Sky for the unders. The spinner is Xtracolour High Speed Silver enamel, thinned with cellulose thinners which cut the drying time by more than half. As protection and in preparation for decals, I gently brushed on some Alclad Aqua Gloss, which works pretty well for me. 

Decalling was another conundrum. I started creating thin strips of white decal for the walkways, and applied those using the microscale solutions. So here's where we are now:

resized_8ee4ac85-b425-4c48-a621-71a02613

resized_fcabc2aa-a023-476c-96e0-fcc64cab

The next step is to tone down the white with washes to get to an approximate light grey tone...

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 8

Beautiful scheme Justin, wow.

I couldn't help but notice how the paint has been chipped off the cowl fasteners and various panels on the pic showing the Mk XV in the air, while the two pics taken on the ground show a 'fresher' paint scheme.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I couldn't help but notice how the paint has been chipped off the cowl fasteners and various panels on the pic showing the Mk XV in the air,

That's not paint chipping, Cookie - each fastener has an alignment mark painted along the screwdriver slot and out beyond the slot each end onto the cowling. The line is approx twice the length of the screwdriver slot, and the slot should line up with the marks at each end when the fastener is locked. The fasteners are predominantly aligned so that when closed/locked the slot is in a fore/aft position (except those on the lower cowling panel which align  with the lower panel edge). The marks are for a quick visual check that all cowling fasteners are colsed/locked.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 6/2/2018 at 11:37 AM, Dave Swindell said:

each fastener has an alignment mark painted along the screwdriver slot and out beyond the slot each end onto the cowling

Oh, interesting, so the 'clean' version in the photos just hasn't had the alignment marks painted on yet? I had always assumed it was the paint getting chipped off by the screwdriver each time the cowl was removed. You learn something new everyday on Britmodeller! Thanks Dave.

10 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Oh, interesting, so the 'clean' version in the photos just hasn't had the alignment marks painted on yet?

I'd say yes to that, the photo's on the ground look pristine, the airborne shot shows paint wear round the cockpit entry door, canopy rails, radio hatch, fuel tank cover and especially on the wing root. Why the markings are so prominent I don't know, but the white really stands out.

• Like 1

Decals done. Apologies for rubbish photos...!

resized_db290624-785d-4eeb-bf1b-f508bb37

resized_a69954ec-9780-42d1-bd58-236b89a3

resized_1e7e65e5-cf3d-4697-b32f-31b4f6f7

I'm finally getting used to the Sword decals. If you treat them with respect, they behave themselves! The Royal Navy scripts are from the Sword Mk XVII kit, and I toned them down with black washes as I have with the walkway lines. The grey serials are from the Ventura sheet. I applied all the stencils on the bottom, but only those on the top (as hand-painted representations) where I could see them in the photos. So no 'Walkway Forward' etc. Does that sound sensible? Hope so, as I'll need to hand paint them otherwise...

Justin

• Like 10

• 3 months later...

Nice model. I think I put one on RFI last year. Sword kits are deceptive. They are, by and large, nicely detailed and well presented and it can lull you into a false sense of security and then you suddenly realise it is a short run kit after all. I was quite pleased with mine, but it did some effort around the wing fuselage joint, which seems to be an issue with a lot of Spitfire kits in the past. 

Edited by Mr T
Making more sense
  • Like 2

Nice to see this finished Justin, looks really smart. :goodjob:

11 hours ago, Mr T said:

Sword kits are deceptive. They are, by and large, nicely detailed and well presented and it can lull you into a false sense of security and then you suddenly realise it is a short run kit after all.

We are modellers after all, let's model...:wink:

Stuart

• Like 3