Star Wars model scale and size comparison

Something I've been playing with over the last couple of days. A poster to show the relative size and scale of some of the 1/72 Star Wars models out there. This is very much incomplete, as it only covers the ones I've built. I'll add further Bandai ones to it as and when I build them, but it's unlikely I'll be adding any more Finemolds subjects (regular TIE, Naboo Starfighter, Falcon etc.) as they're obviously going to be hard to get hold of.

25539651415_2af32546ad_k.jpg

If you can't read the small text, you can see the full size version here.

The full size dimensions are based on the upscaled dimensions of the models, assuming that they are 1/72 ( which, in the case of the Finemolds kits, many aren't). The photos are accurately scaled, so this is how big the models are in relation to each other.

There are various listed dimensions for the "real" versions of these ships, so non of them could conclusively be called wrong, but some are certainly more out than others.

One of the worse ones in regard to scale accuracy is Vader's TIE from Finemolds. There's more than one quoted size for the real one, depending on what source you use, but starwars.com and the incredible cross-sections book both list the length as 9.2m, which seems reasonable (around the length of a Spitfire). Based on that length, the Finemolds kit actually scales out at 1/123.

Anyway, I've done the poster for anyone interested in seeing how these kits scale up next to each other. I've got the Bandai X and Y Wings to build (and the upcoming A-Wing) and I'll rework the poster to include them.

Note: I didn't add my Snowspeeder as it's 1/48, but I could scale it to match the others, so I could add that one too.

Andy

• Like 16

it's unlikely I'll be adding any more Finemolds subjects (regular TIE, Naboo Starfighter, Falcon etc.) as they're obviously going to be hard to get hold of.

The FM are being re-released by Revell, FWIW. The 1/72 TIE, X-Wing and Falcon have already been released (and 1/48 X-Wing and TIE), with others presumably to follow.

Also, it would be really interesting to see the Bandai kits on there, too. The TIEs in particular are remarkably different sizes.

• Like 1

That's brill Andy, might just pinch it for my wallpaper on my laptop!!

Thanks Warren, feel free to use it. I'll do some re-scales of the image to regular monitor sizes if anyone would care for them.

I've done a couple more size/scale comparisons. These aren't meant to be criticisms of the kits, just a bit of fun. As I said above, any quoted size, whether it be for the real one, the studio model, or the kit can be taken with a pinch of salt.

The first one shows the Finemolds TIE Advanced compared to the size it would be based on the "official" dimensions. Personally, I'd say somewhere between the two would look right from a purely subjective point of view (full size image here)

25532830716_69b5187e87_h.jpg

The second shows the TIE against something more relatable, in this case the Airfix Spit Mk.I (full size image)

25313503880_805f75c707_h.jpg

Andy

• Like 4

Scale has caused me all sorts of fun. I have been I suppose its scratch building in steel... I did a tie fighter based on the sized of sphere I could get (120mm) and then scaled it to fit that. Then wanted to do an X wing to go with, but its all so random... I've just started on an AT-AT and had a silly thought of having a snowspeeder buzzing round it, but the AT-AT is being built around a BBQ so its a bit large scale for any kits so I'll have to scratch that too... As far as the actual scale of the finished thing I'd love to say its 1/6th or 1/12 or whatever but the starting point for working out a scale is pretty random... What scale is a 1.4 metre tall AT-AT? :banghead: As long as the proportions are right I'm not overly bothered, TBH.

12802907_10154047972974744_2053807058897

Edited by Chillitt
  • Like 1

The first one shows the Finemolds TIE Advanced compared to the size it would be based on the "official" dimensions.

What are you using as 'official' dimensions, though? Because there have been many, conflicting dimensions over the years.

• Like 1

What are you using as 'official' dimensions, though? Because there have been many, conflicting dimensions over the years.

Hence my use of inverted commas around official. There are no truly official sizes for the TIE. I was using the quoted length of 9.2 m which appears in the incredible cross-sections book and also on the official Star Wars website (although I wouldn't be surprised if whoever compiled the page for starwars.com simply took the measurement from the book)

Andy

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice comparison! Love your builds.

Sorry for digging out this old thread - I only noticed because I remembered you did some other kits (like B-Wing) as well which are missing in the comparision above. Maybe an update would be nice?

Regarding Darth Vaders TIE - I seem to remember that comparing the spheres of the Vader and other TIE from Fine Molds were in the same ball park. I did not find the kit obviously underscale. But the small Revell "Pocket" Dart Vader TIE is about the same size as the Fine Molds one (and detail is also good). Revell claims a scale of 1:121 as scale 🙂

Still my math was to keep the FM kit MINT in box and build the Revell version thinking this is by far closer to 1:72 than the given 1:121.

Do you have the FM and Bandai Darth Vader TIE? How do they compare in dimensions?

• Thanks 1

On 08/03/2023 at 11:54, Caerbannog said:

Sorry for digging out this old thread - I only noticed because I remembered you did some other kits (like B-Wing) as well which are missing in the comparision above. Maybe an update would be nice?

There is a newer version of the scale comparison poster in a different thread with the B-Wing on it, although I should probably redo the whole thing now to add the Razor Crest.

On 08/03/2023 at 11:54, Caerbannog said:

Regarding Darth Vaders TIE - I seem to remember that comparing the spheres of the Vader and other TIE from Fine Molds were in the same ball park. I did not find the kit obviously underscale. But the small Revell "Pocket" Dart Vader TIE is about the same size as the Fine Molds one (and detail is also good). Revell claims a scale of 1:121 as scale 🙂

Still my math was to keep the FM kit MINT in box and build the Revell version thinking this is by far closer to 1:72 than the given 1:121.

Do you have the FM and Bandai Darth Vader TIE? How do they compare in dimensions?

I don't have the Bandai Vader's TIE to make a comparison, but I know it's a little larger than the Finemolds version. It's funny you should mention the Revell one being listed as 1/121, as the Finemolds kit actually scales out to around 1/124 if using the quoted (DK Complete Vehicles book, Star Wars.com, Wookieepedia) length of 9.2 meters. That's also roughly the length of a Spitfire, which is why I used it in the comparison shot above. Of course, scales and sizes in Star Wars are open to a large degree of interpretation, but subjectively the Finemolds X1 does seem far too small to my eyes to be considered 1/72. Having said that, it's still a very nice kit - I wish they'd reissue them again.

Andy:cat:

• Like 2

On 3/8/2023 at 1:54 PM, Caerbannog said:

Revell's pocket TIE Advanced was listed as c. 1/90 in scale, if I remember correctly. It looks nice next to their own 1/90 TIE Interceptor and the old 1/89 MPC Y-Wing.

Revell's pocket TIE Fighter is listed as 1/121 but it's nothing close to that. I have both it and the Bandai 1/72 TIEs, the cockpit ball is exactly the same size and proportions, the solar panels/wings are about 1,5mm shorter and a bit thicker. They look great next to one another and, even if you spot minor differences, can easily be brushed off as differences between factories/subseries etc.

The detail is softer buts by no means bad, though the pilot figure is way oversized and needs to be replaced (ironically, the pilot from the 1/90 Interceptor is in 1/72 scale, so you can swap them out). It's a very cheap kit and with some effort can turn into an excellent model. I'll see if I can get good photos of it next to the Bandai TIE Fighter.

• Like 2