Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk1 2007 release

This build took place late June to early July 2015 after residing in my stash since 2007/8 (can't remember exactly when I bought it)

After the Tamiya 109E3 I wanted to try something that was not so shake 'n' bake and, as I wanted a Spitfire to go with the 109, I dug this one out.

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic01_zpst

Work began with spraying the interior a custom mix of RAF interior green using Tamiya paints and then a light wash of burnt umber oils

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic03_zps9

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic02_zpso

And then threw some paint in the general direction of the pilot figure

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic04_zpsk

Oh BTW can anyone tell me how to scale the picture sizes within the post? Whatever size the picture is it comes out enormous.

Instrument panel painted up and dial markings scratched in to the faces.

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic05_zps8

Interior assembled and pilot in place

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic06_zpsn

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic07_zpsl

I had heard that the trailing edges on the flying surface were a little thick in this kit...no kidding! I think they were a scale 6 inches :analintruder:

After much sanding, checking, sanding, checking....... I got the thicknesses to where I no longer cared.

Closed up the fuselage added the wings and tailplanes, filled, sanded, refilled, resanded.......added canopy and arrived at the stage below

Oh and I also thinned out the oversized cockpit door hinge.

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic08_zps7

Canopy masked.. a bit harder than masking the 109 canopy

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic09_zpso

And sprayed interior colour

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic11_zpsh

A nice coat of Halfords grey primer later...

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic12_zpsy

Some Tamiya flat aluminium toned down with Tamiya smoke in all the relevant places

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic13_zpse

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic14_zpsz

A bit of preshading

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic15_zpsu

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic16_zpsi

After careful and strategic application of masking fluid a nice coat of RAF Sky (another custom mix of Tamiya paints) being careful not to completely obliterate all signs of the preshade.

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic17_zpsv

I decided I would try a something new (to me) and spray the camo freehand. I feel that the edges could have more definition but quite pleased with the result.

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic18_zpsb

At this point I think I had a rush of blood and completed the build without any further photo's

But here it is. I used Xtradecal sheet X48145 as the kit sheet was rubbish.

I think I only used the kit decal sheet's stencils

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic19_zps8

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic20_zpsp

Airfix48SptfrMkIWIP-05-03-16basic21_zpsu

And there it is. My second full build after a lengthy hiatus.

You can find this aircraft accosting Adolph Galland's Bf109E3 in this RFI

Comments and criticisms always welcome.

Edited by Phil Lewis
  • Like 2

really good job Phil.

caught the oil and exhaust stains really well.

the old tool Airfix can be improved even more, but requires more work, and a few leftover parts from other Spitfire kits really help

see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59537-the-definitive-spitfire-mk1-thread/

Just in case you have another stashed (or for anyone else)

cheers

T

really good job Phil.

caught the oil and exhaust stains really well.

the old tool Airfix can be improved even more, but requires more work, and a few leftover parts from other Spitfire kits really help

see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59537-the-definitive-spitfire-mk1-thread/

Just in case you have another stashed (or for anyone else)

cheers

T

Thank you for your kind comments.

I don't have any more of that particular release but I have invested in the Tamiya Mk1 which I have heard has issues and I also have the new mould 1/48 Airfix Mk1.

I may do a side by side build with these but I have no plans to revisit the older Airfix kit.

I do have the 1:24 scale one on the shelf though.... :fight:

Thank you for your kind comments.

I don't have any more of that particular release but I have invested in the Tamiya Mk1 which I have heard has issues and I also have the new mould 1/48 Airfix Mk1.

I may do a side by side build with these but I have no plans to revisit the older Airfix kit.

I do have the 1:24 scale one on the shelf though.... :fight:

HI Phil

Plastix dual build of the Airfix and Tamiya Vb kits (apart from cannon B wings the rest is same as Mk I) is well worth a read

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-finished-photos-now-in-the-rfi-section-080615/

Has me showing some fixes for the Tamiya kit, if you can be bothered. The wing needs work as well, if you compare to the Airfix wing you will see it's to broad in chord.

Fix requires removing ailerons, trimming back wing and filling and rescribing flap line. I've part done mine but no pics as yet.

The new tool Airfix kit has a couple of potential pitfalls.

The fit of the kit is very precise, a layer of paint or missed sprue nib in the wrong place can throw out alignments later, for example, the fit of the fuel tank cover.

The UC leg attachment is badly designed, and it worth drilling and pinning from above, before closing up the wing. These are dealt with in link above, and below.

Basilisk did a really good upgrade of the new tool Airfix

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234986185-148-airfix-new-tool-spitfire-mki-x4382-from-no602-squadron-completed-on-31-10-at-1150-pm/

hope of interest and use.

cheers

T

HI Phil

Plastix dual build of the Airfix and Tamiya Vb kits (apart from cannon B wings the rest is same as Mk I) is well worth a read

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-finished-photos-now-in-the-rfi-section-080615/

Has me showing some fixes for the Tamiya kit, if you can be bothered. The wing needs work as well, if you compare to the Airfix wing you will see it's to broad in chord.

Fix requires removing ailerons, trimming back wing and filling and rescribing flap line. I've part done mine but no pics as yet.

The new tool Airfix kit has a couple of potential pitfalls.

The fit of the kit is very precise, a layer of paint or missed sprue nib in the wrong place can throw out alignments later, for example, the fit of the fuel tank cover.

The UC leg attachment is badly designed, and it worth drilling and pinning from above, before closing up the wing. These are dealt with in link above, and below.

Basilisk did a really good upgrade of the new tool Airfix

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234986185-148-airfix-new-tool-spitfire-mki-x4382-from-no602-squadron-completed-on-31-10-at-1150-pm/

hope of interest and use.

cheers

T

Ok now I want to do the Airfix new tool.

Basilisk's build is simply stunning.