Marineflieger F-104G

She looks absolutely fantastic David, hard to believe she is only 1/72 scale.

The wash you applied has toned down the weathering beautifully, it looks very realistic. Good job on the decals too, they've blended in nicely.

I look forward to seeing the finished model on Monday's update :winkgrin: .

• Like 1

thank you and glad you like it guys, one of my favourite models for sure :)

Ok this is The Last WIP update for the little one. Also if anyone can suggest what might be going wrong with my camera (everything is reset and on auto but tries to whitewash everything) I would love to hear it! :)

The seat, a little frustrating to make but the PE belts do a good '3D' effort,

L1050542_zpshsc1t015.jpg

some landing gear things,

L1050565_zpsflncl9rq.jpg

The little infrared sensor was replaced after fitting the canopy

L1050567_zpsmq48j0s4.jpg

And a semi-matt finish, some areas are more gloss which seems quite common on these sea goers (not that it can be seen in this pic however)

L1050573_zpsidfzruuz.jpg

Some of the normal last little details to do and then it will be ready. As soon as I sort my camera I'll do a RFI with this and an F-16 I finished a while back, actually these will be the first finished for me this year.

Again thanks very much fellas for all the encouragement!

BTW Gary, that is some impressive line up in your sig, hopefully my finished pile will look something like that a few years down the line :)

David.

• Like 12

Excellent work!

Theyre addictive little kits, I do hope you build some more. Maybe a TF-104 next time? :)

• Like 1

Thank you IIan and RMP2! I have quite a few Starfighters (TFs too) planned, probably will take me years to get through what I want to build! :D A 1/48 S, 1/48 TF, 3 more 1/72 Gs and a few more 1/32 Gs too from the newer Italeri kit, even then there are so many more options left from the DACO sheets. I think my next one will be an S as the Hase 1/48 kit looks like it will build up with little fuss. For me the F-104 is much like the F-16 and Tornado, so many interesting schemes and variants to do.

Anyways I failed miserably trying to finish the 1/72 kit this weekend :D, I always massive underestimate how long it takes to do all the fiddly bits. It does however stand,

L1050591_zpsczbxhhix.jpg

i did some more subtle weathering for oil streaking etc..mainly on the undersides but the RFI pictures will cover everything.

L1050593_zpsosukmjzh.jpg

Still a long list left to but most of the time was spent on detailing the final cockpit add ons. I'm going to stick a few RBF tags for the live weapons, not the full cover set like the 1/32 model, so I tried these, new to me, decal types. The instructions suggest using some clear thin plastic (the bag they came in) and wrap the decal either side. I tired this and also some decal cover paper as it gives a more textured appearance to the tag, then weathered some with oils. All thats left is to cut them out, crinkle them a bit then work out how to make some micro pins to attach them, any suggestions on that would be very helpful! I'm thinking of just very very thin stretched spruce going into a hole made with a needle.

L1050624_zpsxk7zg2db.jpg

Hopefully they will bring a bit of colour :)

Ok onto the 1/32 model. Hopefully I'm not disappointing anyone but I decided to paint this too in a tradition camo scheme. After painting the blue over the (still tacky) white I wasn't fond of it tbh, it just kinda looked toy like and maybe in fact the scheme would look better in 1/72 after all. It was one of those moments where if you think the model will not turn out how you want it, best change the plan before it is too late!

So I painted the topside grey with a mix of Gunze colours. I didn't want to strip the model as that would have waisted all the work on the cockpit (and a lot of other headaches tbh) but luckily Gunze paint is very thin, the many layers of paint have only slightly softened the panel lines.

L1050616_zpsidunraoj.jpg

Not sure if this will another Marine jet or an Air Force jet in Norm 72 from JaBog 36.

L1050617_zpsevgsbbxy.jpg

Well thats it for this weekend, I'l try get the 1/72 one done soon :).

Thanks for looking in,

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 12

I asked the question a bit back about fixing RBF tags and I think the response was "fuse wire". I didnt have any so stripped some speaker cable and used a single strand of copper from that and added some black paint. Does the job.

Not too sure how to say this... but Im very pleased you changed the colour scheme on the big un! The grey tones look good and these and youve done a lovely job on both. Not tempted to go Italian?

Im rather biased, but I quite like my TF (Hase 1/48) :) -

P1100030%20Large.jpg

• Like 7

Looking forward to seeing the big jet in this scheme too, your 1/72 kit is simply gorgeous and has spurred me into starting mine too.

Great effort on the paintwork so far.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

David your 1/72 jet looks superb and those RBF tags will really add some colour, quite how you manage to do such fine work in 1/72 scale is beyond me.

Like RMP2 I am actually okay with the special scheme not working out as I am more of a fan of service schemes and I look forward to seeing which one you choose for your 1/32 jet, a Luftwaffe jet would make a nice companion to your Marineflieger jet, though as RMP2 also suggests an Italian bird would look nice.

• Like 1

Very nice David the weathering on your Marineflieger 104 looks superb and he baby 104 looks great to.

Guy

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice comments guys, I'm sure I got lucky on these!

RMP2- Thats a good tip, thank you. I'm just gonna sit down now and have a go with some tiny copper wire, all way too tiny for me but will give it a go :winkgrin: Thats a lovely TF-104 too, the single grey colour highlights the lines well imho. I won't build my jet as an Italian example though as its already planned in 1/48 and also I've got to get some use from that huge 1/32 DACO set. My TF will be a special scheme for sure :)

Eng- l look forward to your model, more 104s the better! :)

Craig-The grey/olive/silver scheme is really nice I agree, its just that I did a few mods in the cockpit and some others that are particular to the Marineflieger jets, pretty sure they can be overlooked with a bit of 'modellers interpretation' if I decide the other scheme however :)

Evert, Guy-Thank you, glad you like them :thumbsup:

cheers,

DAvid

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 4

Thank you Pete!

I masked off the big one and sprayed the undersides, well the initial coat anyway. That is an Alclad shade over the Aqueous Gunze paint with no reactions.

L1050627_zpsznh1ylxc.jpg

On recent builds I usually peel of a bit of masking tape to check the contrast between the colours looks ok, then put it back and continue weathering etc...hmm I noticed the paint had marked, or at least some residue was left from the Tamiya tape. So I pulled a little more off just to check it wasn't more serious.... :o:(:doh:

L1050630_zpsnpxcepon.jpg

L1050629_zpsgcgkg2ej.jpg

L1050631_zpsqz0fnqem.jpg

L1050634_zpshtlefisu.jpg

L1050637_zpswxguncff.jpg

:huh: hmm I think thats the last time I use Gunze Aqueous paints. The marks are all over and are not masking tape residue but reactions with the paint. I've tried soap and water, WD40 and a few other things to wipe it off, didn't do anything. Then I tried Mr.color thinner, it works but takes the paint off too. Finally I tried micro meshing it off which gave this,

L1050632_zpsghx0sk2i.jpg

Although looking a mess in the above pic the surface is quite smooth, the reaction has gone through the grey layer. Despite the previous post showing the grey layer painted, I actually did it when I painted the 1/72 kit, maybe 10-11 days ago. The previous white gunze layer had been left to dry for around 2 weeks or so before the grey layer, so not far off a month in total before masking tape. I had this on a previous F-16 build but it was minimal and a coat of clear sorted out most, this time however there are ridges and steps on the surface, the tape was only on for about an hour or so, masked then sprayed immediately. Surely nearly two weeks is long enough for these paints to not go crazy under masking, if this is the norm with these (second build using them) I won't use them again given the headache this has caused. Back to Tamiya and enamels in the future for sure!

Now I have to think how I'm going to strip it without destroying all the cockpit painting and glued/filled canopies. I've never done a whole model before so if anyone has experience on what to do here I would be very thankful. I've been lucky in the past and never had any dodgy reactions, guess my luck just ran out :D I might be able to carefully remove the paint with Gunze thinner, will have to have a think.

At least the 1/72 one is done, `I'll do a RFI this weekend :)

Thanks for looking and sorry for the rather ranting update, just a tad gutted on this one,

David.

edit, i think I want to completely strip everything including the Halfords white primer base.

Edited by mirageiv

That sucks.

Personally, Id be tempted to try a touch up before going for a strip (so to speak ;) ) but it does look rather widespread.

Regards stripping it I have zero experience or advice, just feeling your pain. But hey - live n learn I guess. :(

• Like 1

Its not just gunze colours, tamiya tape does this with Tamiya gloss if you mask too early, my method around it is to paint matt colours, do all masking and then gloss coat over that before decals .

• Like 1

Thanks guys! The problem is for whatever reason the marks left by the tape are raised above the normal paint surface with a noticeable, hard, step. I'll try sand/mircromesh these down and repaint but if that doesn't work only one option I guess. I read about people masking fine within a day over this paint, I left it for 10! It felt hard with no smell whatsoever. As I applied the masking tape too there was no marking at that stage. Ah well will see what I can do with it at the weekend :).

David

Edited by mirageiv

Condolences with respect to the setback. I hope it doesn't prove too much work/frustration to continue.

I am wondering whether markjames68's problem was with the Tamiya Acrylic range or Tamiya Enamel?

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem David maybe a gentle sanding of the problem areas and then repaint.

Guy

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem David maybe a gentle sanding of the problem areas and then repaint.

Guy

Squadrons "Fine" sanding sticks have saved my bottom with various bloopers in the past.

Good luck with it whichever way you go - Itll turn out great, dont give up on it!

• Like 1

Condolences with respect to the setback. I hope it doesn't prove too much work/frustration to continue.

I am wondering whether markjames68's problem was with the Tamiya Acrylic range or Tamiya Enamel?

Acrylic from Tamiya, i didnt know they did enamel...

• Like 2