Revell 1/72 Avro Shackleton AEW.2 (Shackleton number 3)

Well, it has finally come, the Revell 1/72 Avro Shackleton AEW.2.

Those of you that may have followed my previous builds of the Airfix Shackletons you will be aware of my family history around the aircraft and will get to see my 3rd Shack in progress and those that haven't seen my two previous builds & the history the links are below.

DSC_3074_zpsnlmn9ypz.jpg

http://goo.gl/tCiY7A and http://goo.gl/TPMBck

I want to start talking about the Revell kit, I think it is obvious that a MR.3 is planned due to the breakdown of the fuselage and there are some areas that shouldn't be present on the AEW.2 but are on the MR.3, but I will not go into too much detail there.

What I do wish to focus on is the quality of the kit, it is insanely good, the Shackleton/Growler was also know are 10000 loose rivets flying in close formation, and just look at those rivets on the kit.

DSC_3073_zps7tbfg3yg.jpg

This is something that Airfix did not do as they went with the standard panel lines on their kit, Airfix kit also suffered with some occasional warping on the wings, which seemed to be luck based as some kits did have the issue while others didn't, there was also some sink marks on the upper fuselage which required filling. The Revell kit do not have any of these issues.

Here are the sprue shots

8e7196d9-70bb-4bb7-99c5-0f06c80807ae_zps

4b483adb-ef19-4582-b597-1b64de573808_zps

Clear parts look good

DSC_3070_zpsacgipzvx.jpg

DSC_3071_zps6nkrptts.jpg

Decals printed in Italy, look good and hope they are as good as Airfix's decals as their's were done by cartograph.

Anyways, I'm going OOB with this one, I do plan on a 4th Shackleton to complete my set, that one I may good with aftermarket, but this one is OOB.

Some lucky chaps have managed to get there test shot builds already finished, but I don't think we have a WIP yet, so here we go.

Enjoy everyone

• Like 11

I will stop by to watch your progress , looking forward to it.

Guy

I've started some test fitting on the fuselage, I've glued a couple of cockpit parts together, just so I can use them for the test fit. Those that might be worried about the fit with the fuselage being split into nose and rear sections should not worry at all, the fit is good and the radome fits in nicely too.

DSC_3076_zpspneasglr.jpg

DSC_3075_zpsfvygp2gt.jpg

I'm just holding these in place at the moment, once glued it will look so much better

• Like 5

I'll be following this one closely, hopefully you'll be able to give us your comparison views of the two kits. I'll be starting my Revell AEW Mk.2 when I've finished my FROG Mk.3 Phase 3 , must pull my finger out and get it finished!

I've decided to start trying to get a dark sea gray I'm happy with, with my own experience, I only use Tamiya acrylics as I simply can't get on with any other paints I've tried that I can easily get hold of.

So I've got a spare fuselage half of the airfix shack and I've just experimenting with the colors.

I've got 2 tons here, a lighter version on the nose, a darker shade in the centre and a split between the two on the rear

DSC_3077_zpsa3dgrbiq.jpg

I'm pushing more towards the shade are the rear of the fuselage

Hmm

Shouldnt it be Extra Dark Sea Grey?

A bluer shade for the AEW2

I used the old Humbrol Authentics EDSG for this old one back in 1982

I'd do a few things differently now but I was happy with this THEN :)

Wessexday2010.jpg

I can whip this out if you like, it's just intended to give a shade to compare with

b

• Like 2

The Revell kit looks superb, starting with the box and continuing with the sprues, which is really what matters. I'll be very interested in following your build.

I'm tempted to build one of these with the scheme on the box top.

Cheers

Jaime

You are tempting me to get the Revell kit to go with the Airfix. The way it is broken down, it looks like they may have an MR3 in mind. Now that would be a definite purchase!

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what you make of this one.

Martin

I thought EDSG was the choice of colour but Perdu's Shack looks pretty close to me, details don't look to bad I'm not worried about interior as it won't be seen so I might invest in one in these a bit later on in the year.

Guy

It is extra dark sea gray, my typo there.

Such a hard colour to get right without using humbrol and xtracolor but I just don't get on with them. I've settled with a slightly darkened mix of Tamiya XF-77 using a little XF -63 to darken it, we shall see.

The correct colour for Shackleton AEW.2s (and MR.2/3s in all over grey, and with the white roof scheme) is gloss dark sea grey BS381C/638.

Extra dark sea grey was the darker shade used by the Fleet Air Arm.

• Like 1

So peeps, on with the build here. I have been quiet here, but only because I've been doing little amounts in short stints at the workbench.

This is where i am so far, and yes I know i'm not painting it 100% correct inside, but not much is going to be seen

Pit and control panel with decal used as detail

DSC_3088_zpsqehazj5k.jpg

Some other painting and sub assembling

29671c41-b3ed-46bb-82c4-c3f133b724b9_zps

Now I'm a little bit of a situation as I can't pick which of the 2 options in the box, so I had a little idea.

This is the idea below

DSC_3089_zpsuszoqwbj.jpg

Now, should I build them at the same time?

• Like 3