METAL CASTING WORK

krow113

Production problems arising and being dealt with , mould problems and the metal flow mostly.

Halfway there with an acceptable rear rim and front hub:

IMG_0524_zpshlkpwis8.jpg

|Rear hub after 4 tries:

IMG_0525_zpsgfhapnft.jpg

Nice when the rim you just cast fits the kit tire perfectly:

IMG_0530_zps2mlvktap.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 3

Expect the first few pours of each session to be failures.

The mould is cold.

Once it has heated up the pours should flow faster before starting to harden and castings should be better.

• Like 1

For first attempts the results are excellent!

On top of Black Knights comments, I'd suggest also experimenting with dusting the moulds with talc, if you not tried it yet. I tends to help the metal flow. It's worked for me in the past, but I'm not why it helps air drive out of the moulds.

• Like 1

Pre-heated the molds , as well as used talc.

Experience pouring the metal helped as well.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I have 2 - 4 bladed props for the Gotha piece , and rims and hubs for the Hillclimber piece.

I'm a little drained by the stress of this, guys who do this for a living dont have it easy.

Thank you.

Needed the hubs first so I went at them with a rough cut file , then down to needle files here they are in somewhat rough but moving towards final finish. The metal is easy to work with and smooths out nicely. Wheel spacing and the chain run is what these are needed for :

IMG_0541_zpsiupsnycd.jpg

And cleaned , drilled , deburred , sanded , etc , ready for finish paint :

IMG_0547_zpsxwlaeyes.jpg

And into Alclad flat black priimer filler , to be finished in cast aluminum from the same manufacturer:

IMG_0549_zpsttpwv7ir.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll try some assy today...:

IMG_0851_zpswunbdnya.jpg

First row in , a little fudging as the relationship between the rim and hub gets sorted:

IMG_0853_zps0z5qosge.jpg

Second row in:

IMG_0856_zpswvpcc4hv.jpg

Flipped , third row in:

IMG_0859_zpskdmfvntx.jpg[/URL

Fourth and final:

IMG_0864_zpszrebhj9f.jpg

Went ok , nary a whimper from the rim or hub, I was able to tweak spokes in situ to take out curves and fix placement. A few treatments to go and onto the model.

Edited by krow113
adding pic
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Fazer said:

Looking forward to this, Steve, pulled my chair up & popped a beer cap! :P

Mark D;) 

Thanks Mark!

First row in, watch my posting above, if the edit feature lasts long enough I should be able to get the whole procedure in the one post.

• Like 1

Front rim and hub installed in the high-tech jig, with precision spacers keeping everything properly centered:

IMG_0867_zpsjsqu00mp.jpg

Next update right now!

The front wheel is .3 mm , the rear wheel is .4 mm silver nichrome wire for the spokes with RB Motion washers and cut aluminum tube for the nipple.

Here the front gets its first and second rows, way fiddly , but once they are in place some cyano wicked in will hold them. The protruding spoke ends get 5 minute epoxy to hold them:

IMG_0871_zpsc0lc7qng.jpg

IMG_0875_zpszlttcgxn.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

Hi Steve, the high tech jig looks like it works a treat! :P 

what size wire are you using for the spokes as I use 0.48 stainless steel bridal dress pins for my 1/9th Manx & Norton commando wheels.

watching for the next update,

Mark D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vontrips said:

Very nice job! I'd have had a hard time resisting temptation to polish those rims though! ;-)

I herd dat!

Would love to have them polished. But for the first attempt at casting metal , as well as the mould work , masters , etc, it was enough to get them to this point.

Really would like to re-inforce the kudos owed for the help here. You know who you are, I would not have been able to do this work without the links , suggestions , steering , advice , etc , etc.

I note the thread has done a brisk view count as well, hope some of you other watchers got some good out of it as well.

Thanks to all of you.

The Hillclimber will be in IPMS competition this Saturday Oct 8 , I will get back home the following Monday and post the results.

• Like 2

Now, don't forget to put the rim tape on before inner tubes and tyres.

Best of luck in the comp.

We're relying on you.

Would you care to respoke some of my Austin 7 wheels?

A job I hate doing and some need a few new spokes

• Like 1

Saturday model show!!! No pressure then, Steve :huh:

the hill climber looks the part standing still & no worries on the competition, you have them beat!!! B)

keep us up to date &good luck....

Mark D ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Mark

Yes an extended swingarm can look 'wacky'

I cant even imagine what a 100" plus , nitro burning , straight pipe shovelhead sounds like, oh wait , I do know what that sounds like! Real effing cool!

Check out those crazy pipes Daddio!

862bde87-adba-4a8b-90e5-5fd3b88f06c5_zps

A little controversy at a model show isn't anything new.

The judges felt my Hillclimber to be a second place model , yet gave it a trophy as well.

Most times a second place model won't make the trophy round. I was packed up and leaving when I heard my name called during the tRophy hand-outs, go figger!

IMG_0966_zpsdfiey7g8.jpg

IMG_0965_zpsdmbrjryi.jpg

First place went to an oob wartime sidecar unit.

• Like 1