Recommended grey primer

Lightning1968

Everyone (especially me) seems to be happy with Badger Stynylrez, now being sold under the Ultimate brand too.

Big discussion thread here.

HTH.

I use halford's grey plastic primer decanted. Or Mr surfacer 500 or 1000 thinned with leveling thinner. Or just use alclads grey primer if you don't want to faff about.

If you don't mind a bit of faffing, Tamiya's fine grey primer decanted into a jar & left to de-gas is excellent, especially if thinned with Mr Color self levelling thinners. Never had a problem with the airbrush blocking or spitting, and the finish is tough &a super smooth.

• Like 1

I second Edge's suggestion for Tamiya's primer decanted, also Nigel's Alclad suggestion although it takes a little work to get it smooth after applying. I have also used Mr Surfacer 1000 and 1200 from the rattle-cans, again could be decanted. I have recently tried Mr Paint's (from Slovakia) grey primer and was very pleased, it comes thinned ready for spraying, only down side is the small size of the bottle compared to some of the other brands.

It is worth the small effort required to decant the aerosol type primers into paint pots for the airbrush as they provide the smoothest surface after spraying.

Duncan B

• Like 1

I have just received a new type bottle of Alclad grey primer, dont know if they have changed the formula but it seems to dry a lot smoother than the old.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for some really great answers. I have just purchased a bottle of ultimate grey primer so I will see how I get on with that. I think I might also try decanting the rattle tins primer sometime in the future also.

Cheers all

Mark.

I've not been able to succesfully decant Halfords grey primer for some reason, but I've had some succes with Tamiya. The process is a bit time consuming in my opinion as you've got to wait for all the gas to evaporate.

I use Humbrol/Revell/WEM or MM enamel paint thinned with laquer thinner to prime. Does it need to be grey ??

I use paint that I've had a while and have no intention of using it in the near future, so instead of it going to waste, you might as well use it as a primer. Perfect coverage and dry to the touch within minutes.

David.

• Like 1

What problem do you have with the halford's cans, it seems ok for me.

When it's been decanted into a jar I just hold it in my hand to warm it while stiring it with a brush for about 30 min until its degassed then use it

Duncan B, on 09 Mar 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

I second Edge's suggestion for Tamiya's primer decanted, also Nigel's Alclad suggestion although it takes a little work to get it smooth after applying. I have also used Mr Surfacer 1000 and 1200 from the rattle-cans, again could be decanted. I have recently tried Mr Paint's (from Slovakia) grey primer and was very pleased, it comes thinned ready for spraying, only down side is the small size of the bottle compared to some of the other brands.

It is worth the small effort required to decant the aerosol type primers into paint pots for the airbrush as they provide the smoothest surface after spraying.

Duncan B

Hey Duncan, speaking as decanting fool myself, its a lot, lot easier (and cheaper) to get Mr Surfacer in bottles before they put it into cans and then decanting it! The 1500 is a thing of joy...BTW the Tamiya is also available in bottles.

That said watching someone attempt to decant an aerosol for the first time can be more entertaining than a Simpsons episode.

A

• Like 2

I would recommend Mr Surface Primer. I love that you can get different colors. I use black a lot. One thing is that I would steer away from Vallejo primer for big model parts such as fuselage or wing because it can't sanded.

Hey Duncan, speaking as decanting fool myself, its a lot, lot easier (and cheaper) to get Mr Surfacer in bottles before they put it into cans and then decanting it! The 1500 is a thing of joy...BTW the Tamiya is also available in bottles.

That said watching someone attempt to decant an aerosol for the first time can be more entertaining than a Simpsons episode.

A

I have the bottles of Mr Surfacer but didn't know Tamiya did bottles of their primer, thanks for that.

I don't find it a hassle to decant but have been doing it for a while so guess I've got the knack of it now.

Duncan B

What problem do you have with the halford's cans, it seems ok for me.

When it's been decanted into a jar I just hold it in my hand to warm it while stiring it with a brush for about 30 min until its degassed then use it

When I've tried to decant Halfords, it comes out rather thick and dries/hardens very quickly. I've tried it with a few cans, but always the same thing happens. Strange thing is though, when I spray directly from the can, no problem. I use Halfords red for spraying ship hulls and that works just fine.

When I've tried to decant Halfords, it comes out rather thick and dries/hardens very quickly. I've tried it with a few cans, but always the same thing happens. Strange thing is though, when I spray directly from the can, no problem. I use Halfords red for spraying ship hulls and that works just fine.

very strange :shrug:

Halfords Grey Primer for me (Yellow Filler Primer on major reshaping jobs) - straight from the can - and a quick 'polish' with 3600 Micro-Mesh before paint.

I've found the Halfords Plastic Primer a little 'hot' on some plastics - I believe it's designed to bond itself to ABS bumpers etc - so overkill for a model kit IMHO.

Iain