Dassault Mirage 2000-1/72 Airfix

Of late, I've been experimenting with new ways in the way I'm modelling,

different paints, a vac form kit, trying etch,( that went well :confused: ) and so on.

Well this is none of that... just a good old fashioned oob, with kit decals and brush

painted with Humbrol enamels, like I usually do.

The kit is a 1990 Airfix boxing (that looks suspiciously like the Heller kit?)

It went together with no major problems other than the canopy is a bit dodgy, and the

load out is a bit vague looking regarding what it actually should be, Matra missiles, but which?

The only real problem came with the decals. Other than the walk way lines, all went on well.

The red walk way lines broke up into many, many pieces, but thanks to WARDOG, (cheers buddy :thumbsup: ),

it didn't take long for new ones to arrive from Texas so I could finish this off.

There's also a new nose pitot on the nose, as this broke umpteen times and finally got lost,

so I've utilised one from the spares box in it's stead.

If you've got through all that, here's the pics:

25182574120_cdbe27b4c9_c.jpg

25478197905_529168730f_c.jpg

24851498493_ff71e6f0d9_c.jpg

25452102996_578c1cbec1_c.jpg

25359843432_379ab639d4_c.jpg

25452228376_d226d31079_c.jpg

Painted and finished as specified in the instructions and finished in W&N Matte.

Thanks for your interest,

Regards,

Sean

• Like 11

Well done. The old Heller mould is IMHO still the best looking (and I think most accurate) 1/72 Mirage 2000 and you've done a lovely job on her. The loadout looks right to me too.

David

• Like 1

A great looking Mirage and just goes to show what can be done in the more 'traditional' modelling manner. I have always built models this way until relatively recently when I was bought an airbrush kit for my birthday. I love the results (when it goes right) but it hasn't half slowed down my productivity.

There's something about the Mirage family, a certain je ne sais quoi, that has always appealed to me. Probably something to do with watching the Aeronauts during the summer holidays back in the 70s.

• Like 1

That is superb Sean,I can't say I've ever seen this kit but it looks good to me :winkgrin:

Thanks Steve, I'm nearly sure this is the Heller kit, more chance of seeing that boxing. I haven't seen

too many Airfix boxings myself, not even on the 'bay.

Well done. The old Heller mould is IMHO still the best looking (and I think most accurate) 1/72 Mirage 2000 and you've done a lovely job on her. The loadout looks right to me too.

David

Thanks David, there was a thread running not so long ago about Mirage kits, and I recall this

kit was looked upon favourably.

That does indeed look superb Sean. Wonderfully brush painted enamels. Excellent work! :goodjob::goodjob:

Cheers Stix, means a lot coming from someone with your talent with the brush.

That looks lovely. It's encouraging to see what can be achieved with a brush, and without additional faffery. Not that I mind the faffery, but it's still nice to see a really good OOB build. Something to aim for. :thumbsup:

Thanks CB, faffery is not really part of my skill set, and I find brush painting very satisfying, especially with a half decent result.

A great looking Mirage and just goes to show what can be done in the more 'traditional' modelling manner. I have always built models this way until relatively recently when I was bought an airbrush kit for my birthday. I love the results (when it goes right) but it hasn't half slowed down my productivity.

There's something about the Mirage family, a certain je ne sais quoi, that has always appealed to me. Probably something to do with watching the Aeronauts during the summer holidays back in the 70s.

Traditional, I like the sound of that indeed, it'll do me lovely. I do like Mirages myself, they are very elegant I find.

Although I reckon the Dassault designers got lazy and just add something slightly different to the design every couple of years,

a bit like the guys who do 911s.

Hello,Sean - That's a beautiful build of your 'Mirage'.A very elegant scheme on a very elegant type.All the best,Paul.

Thank you Paul, I like the scheme myself, it's one of those that just looks right.

Sean

• Like 3

Sean,

As I said before, she is an absolute beauty! Glad the decals were useful but your talent with the paint brush is what makes her look so good!

The weapons load is correct, I've been contemplating using the better Italeri/Revell weapons on mine whenever I finally purchase a Pavla cockpit to get her started. I'll also probably convert her into a 2000-5 bird by moving the pitot tube to the vertical stabilizer. Lastly, I have a "Spirale" set to add on to make her a little more up-to-date. I only wish she looks half as good as yours does when she's done!

Excellent work Mate,

WARDOG

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, I'm nearly sure this is the Heller kit, more chance of seeing that boxing. I haven't seen

too many Airfix boxings myself, not even on the 'bay.

Thanks David, there was a thread running not so long ago about Mirage kits, and I recall this

kit was looked upon favourably.

Cheers Stix, means a lot coming from someone with your talent with the brush.

Thanks CB, faffery is not really part of my skill set, and I find brush painting very satisfying, especially with a half decent result.

Traditional, I like the sound of that indeed, it'll do me lovely. I do like Mirages myself, they are very elegant I find.

Although I reckon the Dassault designers got lazy and just add something slightly different to the design every couple of years,

a bit like the guys who do 911s.

Thank you Paul, I like the scheme myself, it's one of those that just looks right.

Sean

Yes, you can certainly see the lineage even in the Rafale.

Sean,

As I said before, she is an absolute beauty! Glad the decals were useful but your talent with the paint brush is what makes her look so good!

The weapons load is correct, I've been contemplating using the better Italeri/Revell weapons on mine whenever I finally purchase a Pavla cockpit to get her started. I'll also probably convert her into a 2000-5 bird by moving the pitot tube to the vertical stabilizer. Lastly, I have a "Spirale" set to add on to make her a little more up-to-date. I only wish she looks half as good as yours does when she's done!

Excellent work Mate,

WARDOG

Thanks WARDOG,

I'm sure your Mirage will be even better, look forward to seeing it on BM in the near future.

Once again many thanks for the decals, she looks "properly dressed" now.

Yes, you can certainly see the lineage even in the Rafale.

Indeed M8, gorgeous lines on the Rafale.

Sean