AZ Spitfire IX family - extra parts in kits

PhantomBigStu

Heard the various boxing in the AZ spit range come with extra parts for other variants, so what are these spare parts?

I ask as I've ordered the IXc joypack, and whilst I am happy doing 2 of them as they are, I'd like to something different with the 3rd, so using spares from another variant seems ideal. plus gives me another kit do anyway.

The MkVII & VIII boxings (they're the same kit) have normal and long-span wingtips. Can't remember if there's anything else.

I don't own a MkXVI but think that it's the same as the MkIX but has a low-back fuselage.

If you really want a kit with plenty of spares, get the Sword Seafire III (the one with the aircraft with D-day markings. You get a spare VC, minus a cockpit, undercarriage and elevators.

• Like 2

You can pretty much make any high back Mk IX or XVI with the parts in the AZ Joypack. It has two types of: rudders, carburetor intakes, wing tips, and horizontal stabilizers. It has bumps for early and later C wings as well as the E wing.

The new KP triple boxing includes a new sprue with a corrected long carburetor intake, cannon fairing options, wing tips and external fuel tank. I hope that the new wing tips fit better than the AZ boxing's, but I haven't bought one yet to check it out.

• Like 1

Mks VII/VIII moulding just covers variations seen on these types: standard and pointed rudders; cropped, standard and extended wing tips; short and universal air intakes; optional, cannon bulges or compressor intake.

• 5 weeks later...

If you really want a kit with plenty of spares, get the Sword Seafire III (the one with the aircraft with D-day markings. You get a spare VC, minus a cockpit, undercarriage and elevators.

Thanks for that, I've just bought one that today. There is a slight problem with the "spare" Mk.Vc if you don't want a tropical intake, plus it lacks the pitot probe and canopy which you don't mention. I've lots of spare canopies, so that's no problem. You do also get three different props/spinners, three exhaust sets and spare short barrel cannons. The instructions talk about resin cannons but they come on a plastic sprue. On the other hand the wheel doors are flat, and last time we went round the houses it was decided that the Sword Spitfires were too short in span, although I'm a little confused by what ClaudioN is saying on his AZ Mk.IX thread so may have to get the ruler out again.

Edited by Graham Boak

The new KP triple boxing includes a new sprue with a corrected long carburetor intake, cannon fairing options, wing tips and external fuel tank. I hope that the new wing tips fit better than the AZ boxings, but I haven't bought one yet to check it out.

You really should rectify that mistake soon. I've got one but I'll be nabbing a few more as they're about the same price as the AZ mk IX Joypack and come with decals, nice box art and extra sprues. Well worth the candle.

The Sword "International" boxing of their XVI lowback sometimes has a complete mk IX fuselage.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, I've just bought one that today. There is a slight problem with the "spare" Mk.Vc if you don't want a tropical intake, plus it lacks the pitot probe and canopy which you don't mention. I've lots of spare canopies, so that's no problem. You do also get three different props/spinners, three exhaust sets and spare short barrel cannons. The instructions talk about resin cannons but they come on a plastic sprue. On the other hand the wheel doors are flat, and last time we went round the houses it was decided that the Sword Spitfires were too short in span, although I'm a little confused by what ClaudioN is saying on his AZ Mk.IX thread so may have to get the ruler out again.

Apologies for the omissions in my post, perhaps I should have said 'including'.

The pitot tube is easy to scratch-build (if I can do it, anyone can).

I, probably, have a spare 'normal chin' bit somewhere. If you pm me your address, I'll pop it in the post.

(Edited to correct statement, after re-reading my original post.)

Edited by Beard

Wooksta

Here are the sprues for my AZ international XVI (would that be the same as Sword?)

FC6D8102-70CF-468C-85B1-940021B58E6A_zps

Judging by the sprue layout you will always get the highback fuselage. For the record there are two types of exhaust, two sets of rudder pedals, round and pointed rudder, a highback fuselage frame to hang your seat onto and the original MkI-V tailplane. There may be other stuff there too that I've not noticed.

Trevor

Wooksta

Here are the sprues for my AZ international XVI (would that be the same as Sword?)

FC6D8102-70CF-468C-85B1-940021B58E6A_zps

Judging by the sprue layout you will always get the highback fuselage. For the record there are two types of exhaust, two sets of rudder pedals, round and pointed rudder, a highback fuselage frame to hang your seat onto and the original MkI-V tailplane. There may be other stuff there too that I've not noticed.

Trevor

As far as I'm aware the Sword and AZ Spitfires are different kits entirely but probably similar.

thanks

Mike

Hmm, that spare high back rear fuselage frame would come in useful for the "Sword spare", for anyone thinking that way. There was I thinking about plasticard being my friend... which it is, of course.

Thanks Beard, but I do have a spare nose underside - I think it comes in the kit. However the kit is aimed at fitting the tropical (both options) so if you go temperate there is a small gap at the leading edge, and the rear of the intake is a little wide for the spare temperate intakes I have. Something for further study when I eventually start the kit, other than just fondling it. I may yet throw at least one of my Tamiya and Italeri Spits away and use its undercarriage, interiors, etc., with the superior Sword hull.

On reflection, I think the Sword PR.IV kits have alternate lower cowlings which may give you the necessary spares.

The Sword and AZ mk XVI lowbacks are entirely separate tools which coincidentally are very cross-kitable - I have a spare Sword lowback fuselage which fits neatly onto an AZ wing.

• Like 1

Not exactly throw out, not all of it anyway. I disagree that the faults aren't noticeable - I noticed the wing pretty rapidly. However I've just taken a look at mine (one of each variant) and I've put too much work into improving them to abandon easily. Besides, I've found a lot of spare bits from other sources, so need little more than a floor and rear bulkhead to manufacture. No great problem. Maybe the right kind of tailwheel - but hopefully John Adams has a few of his Spitbits left.

[...] I've found a lot of spare bits from other sources, so need little more than a floor and rear bulkhead to manufacture.

I think there's a spare 'high-back' frame for the rear cockpit (and vice versa if you're building a low-back) in the Sword MkXVI.