Spitfire IIa 1690 BDTF Metheringham 1944

Revell's 1/32nd scale Spitfire finished as P8177 of 1690 Bomber Defence Training Flight, Metheringham, Lincs. The pilot unfortunately has undercart problems so is going round again to try to shake the port leg loose!

DSCN9723_zpsfeq1afx3.jpg

DSCN9721_zpsqkxwmaxj.jpg
DSCN9719_zpsv8htpdss.jpg
DSCN9711_zpsyqkhxgvb.jpg
DSCN9710_zpscnbhbrls.jpg
DSCN9709_zpscpz3firb.jpg
DSCN9704_zpsbu4ulmpg.jpg
DSCN9729_zpsv7jnzqep.jpg
Max
  • Like 16

Turned out well Max. That's the best effect I've seen with the etched prop, much more realistic than plain black.

Thank you all. A short explanation about the display stand and the auspicious date: on 3 March 1945 a very young and inexperienced crew set off from RAF Waddington (the home of 467 and 463 squadrons RAAF) to bomb the Dortmund-Ems canal viaduct at Ladbergen, NW Germany, it was their third op. since arriving on the Station one day short of a month before. They were flying Lancaster III ME453 PO-L, as new to Waddington as they were. The flight engineer, and my namesake was Max Venton. Their plane was shot down 3kms short of the target, all the crew perished. Fast forward to 2005 and I make my first visit to the Reichswald War Cemetery to pay my respects to Max and the rest of the crew; what has followed is 10 years of research taking me from Ireland, Belgium, Holland and Germany to Australia as well as numerous visits to the National Archives (both London and Canberra), RAF Waddington and including my discovery of the crash site. I placed a commemorative plaque on a tree facing the field but the plaque was vandalised two weeks later, the local family contacted the police and Press. From the Press report an aviation fan, Martin Muller went over the field with his metal detector and found many fragments of the Lancaster which he sent me - on the base of the model is an hydraulic junction and an exploded .303 shell, the Lancaster having gone down in flames. I don't have conclusive evidence but it is highly likely that Spitfire P8177 was involved in Fighter Affiliation exercises with Max and his crew during their brief stay at Waddington, so the circle is closed, today being the 71st anniversary of the crew's death.

• Like 6

That's a great Spitfire and the 'moving' prop is the first time I've seen one of those etched things really work, thanks to the painting being spot on.

A question to Spitfore experts – would you open up to go around with your flaps deployed?

Superb modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Joachim, I'm sure you wouldn't but it's a question of timing (he's only just got the red Verry light and he's reaching for the flap lever!! :) ) and dramatic licence whilst not trying to be too technical! :)

Max

• 6 months later...