Finucane Spitfire BM124

Flavio

Hi all,

surfing on net I came across this website and….WOW, no words!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1716227778623211.1073742269.1634742540105069&type=3

I hope you enjoy these pictures as I did.

Note the detail of the Shamrock and the absence of the writing “Queen of Salote” on the cowling and 602Sqn budge on the nose.

Cheers

Flavio

• Like 3

Yes, great pics and those flaps are interesting, I haven't seen then on a Spitfire before. Note that the modification is fitted on both sides.

Conjecturing about the reasons, I wonder if they'd had trouble with that particular canopy 'chattering' in its runners at high speeds, as that's the sort of thing I might try to fix it. They aren't stuck out enough to create any significant drag so are unlikely to be intended to make it easier to slide back the canopy in flight.

Yes aerodynamicly the flaps would push the canopy sides inward. We can only guess the reason. Better sealing in flight, or to keep the canopy better seated in the rails or reduce chatter at speed as suggested? The reason may be lost in the mists of time.

Great photos though, an absolute must for anyone making a model of BM124. One thing to note is that one shot appears to show a shamrock on the starboard side. The photo is clearly reversed.