Mosquito Mk.VI Wet Transfer Stencils (for Tamiya 1:32)

Mike

Mosquito Mk.VI Wet Transfer Stencils (for Tamiya)
1:32 HGW Models

boxtop.jpg

Decals or transfers as they're sometimes referred to are printed inks that are covered by a transparent carrier-film that protects the delicate ink layers against handling. They're a great way of adding detailed markings to any model (or anything else for that matter), but they have one inherent drawback, which is the thickness of the carrier film, which must also extend beyond the ink to offer complete protection. This can lead to ridges around decals unless you are pro-active and use a combination of layers of clear varnish and delicate sanding, which takes a lot of time as I found when I built my recent Mig-31. Other than painting your own markings using masks, which lends itself only to the larger, simpler shapes, you couldn't really escape decaling for many years.

Enter Wet Transfers. These use a similar method to decals, but have a removable carrier film, which leaves only the inks after drying. How do they work? In much the same manner as traditional decals, actually. Simply cut the decal (we'll call them that for ease) from the backing along with its transparent carrier foil, wet it in hot water and apply the decal and carrier film to your model as usual, pressing it down in the usual manner to expel bubbles and to make it conform to the model's surface. Three to four hours later, remove the carrier foil and clean up any watermarks with plain old water. The result should be an incredibly thin layer of ink that is almost indistinguishable from the surrounding paint in terms of thickness. This reduces the need for any ameliorating of thick carrier film ridges, and speeds the modelling process.

decals.jpg

This set has been produced using Wet Transfer technology for the fabulous Tamiya Mosquito, to replace those myriad of tiny decals, the carrier film for which is most difficult to hide. The National Markings aren't included, as you'll probably use commercially available masks for those if you don't fancy hiding the kit decal carrier film, but the set includes everything else from nose to tail of the model. It also includes those NO STEP crosses in red that can be prone to horrible silvering due to the expanse of carrier film in the middle. No such drama with Wet Transfers!

The stencils are provided in black, with a number of them also printed in red for schemes where contrast with black is poor, and every single word is legible if your eyesight is good enough. The stencils even include the visible parts of the aircraft interior, such as the gear bays; gun bay; mudguards; fuel and oil tanks; bombs; prop bosses; bay doors; crew access door and the throttle quadrant.

Conclusion
I'm sold! Having tried one as a demonstration to see if the process is as easy as it's made out to be, I can confirm that they weren't telling fibs! The carrier foil almost disappears into the paint itself, so take care when you are picking at the edge, but when it peels back, it's as if the ink has melded with the surrounding paint. Just be patient enough not to try to have a pick at the foil too early, or you run the risk of pulling off the ink, as I did with a "can I remove this now?" test I ran after half an hour or so. Patience is the watchword at this final stage.

Very highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review samples courtesy of
logo.jpg