***3 finished*** PBS MkIX Spitfires

Well I decided to use this build as an opportunity to test out printing my own decals, so I naturally needed a subject, after much thinking I decided I wanted to do either a clipped LFIXc or a full span IXC with the pointed rudder, and after several days of searching and surprisingly coming up with very little in both categories, I have a clipped LF as subject, of couse I had already cut of the clipped tips on the spit by then. No biggie, had spares from the italeri mkix so fitted them. Now going to be painted in the DFS, whilst I attempt to print the decals. Also not clear as only one photo of my subject whether it had early or late elevators, so I guessed given the serial it was likely to be the later type

40FBE376-BE83-406E-A0AA-182C769DABE2_zps

• Like 3

Actually no need to check, turns out my hosen subject is not going to happen, it has a badge on the tail I'm unable to print off myself so back to the research to find a new spit....and ironcially I now have spitfire ready for decalling almost like it painted itself....where was the paint fairy when I'm building with the decals to hand? 26F207CF-F07D-41CF-821A-5D203507A831_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Isn't MJ532 that famous aircraft serving in Italy with 601 Sqn ?
If so, you should have no problem in printing that badge as long as you can find the artwork... and 601 Sqn insignia can be easily found on the web.

The badge is on a white disc so I would recommend to print the badge on clear decal paper and apply this on top of a white decal circle. The best way I found to obtain small circles with decal paper is by using a punch, be it one of those punchwheels used for leather (available in most DIY shops for 5-10 bucks) or a steel punch of the type used with a hammer.

• Like 1

Isn't MJ532 that famous aircraft serving in Italy with 601 Sqn ?

If so, you should have no problem in printing that badge as long as you can find the artwork... and 601 Sqn insignia can be easily found on the web.

The badge is on a white disc so I would recommend to print the badge on clear decal paper and apply this on top of a white decal circle. The best way I found to obtain small circles with decal paper is by using a punch, be it one of those punchwheels used for leather (available in most DIY shops for 5-10 bucks) or a steel punch of the type used with a hammer.

thanks for the reply, yes indeed it is a 601sqn spit and having found a closeup image of the xtradecal sheet it indeed just a white circle with the 601sqn insignia inside, but as I don't have any clear decal paper probably just as cost effective to buy the xtradecal sheet and save the printing experiment for the future, though as I can't find another clipped mkIXc aside from one where the codes and serial is unknown looks like I will have to get the xtradecal sheet

well thought this might not make it with my f15 taking over, but looking good, all ready for decalling, with little to do once there on, only problem is mr postie didn't bring them this morn, still can't believe I had to buy some.....

C7446994-B2E3-477E-A116-CD7FD64E5D7F_zps

003E0D00-42B5-46AB-A8AE-0E9D01EC8D7E_zps

• Like 2

Five finished Spitfires... you're a machine.☺

easy when you don't do any complex modelling stuff like weathering/shading etc......scary thing is I could have done a lot more had I been better organised and indeed not had 1000 other builds going at the same time...had in fact planned more but forgot to actually buy the kits in time, had a KP mkv and sword seafire in mind, even brought decals for the V....no doubt Ill find a vendor at RIAT selling them.... :)

anyway few hour delay thanks to those pesky stripes, top decals all on

14B722F0-C030-46F9-9A30-4220179E7CC6_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

and evaporation has occurred so I can now post the pics

2BDC567C-1BC8-4B1C-81FF-0FB0F6889511_zps

BE0BE364-C790-4EA5-A31C-0D3DE2499419_zps

A1871C93-5EA5-4F70-BCD8-0E7478EB4B30_zps

team photo

D092F307-B834-4FD1-8630-8D09DA24B5A2_zps

though I add the other spits I've done over the past 12 months, once from before then were not up to the standard so been struck off charge, 3 airfix mk1s I did during last years BoB GB, and airfix PR19

4D31C798-91C6-4BF8-98CA-95317F2C670F_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 4

Very happy to see that you've managed to receive the decals in time and complete the model, looks good together with the previous ones, good collection of Spitfires !

I'm also noticing that each of your model looks better than the previous one, you should be proud of your improvements

Stu, the three mk Ias and the XIX look fine in the photo. Maybe stripping and a little remedial work before a respray? If you've any plans for binning, I'll take them off your hands.

I really need to proof read my posts.....lol should be ones from before, the older builds were already binned many moons ago :)