***3 finished*** PBS MkIX Spitfires

Ordered myself an AZ joypack, so far thinking of doing

1. MKIXc using airfix Johnson markings

2. MkIXc using airfix Skalski decals

what to do with the 3rd I don't know, guessing if I order another variant of the kit I can do something different with spares

Will also be doing some other mks, will give them separate threads, hope this will be fitting tribute to Edgar even with my no doubt error strewn creations, didn't know him well but answered a few of my questions on the spitfire thread.

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

Good choices, the AZ kit also includes all the parts to properly represent Skalski's aircraft, parts that are not included in the Airfix kit.

Finding an interesting option for your 3rd kit is not difficult, but will depend on what decals you have in your stash

P.S. where did you get the joypack ? Thought they were all gone by now

Good choices, the AZ kit also includes all the parts to properly represent Skalski's aircraft, parts that are not included in the Airfix kit.

Finding an interesting option for your 3rd kit is not difficult, but will depend on what decals you have in your stash

P.S. where did you get the joypack ? Thought they were all gone by now

Thinking of actually doing something different with the 3rd, I do have the later rudder, going to see what spare bits come with the other AZ spits, see what I can cook up. Anyway I ordered it from hannants stock listed as 10+, also MJW'S still have some slightly cheaper than hannants

That was good and fast progress.

One small note of caution: I compared the Airfix and AZ kits yesterday and noticed how the rear fuselage in the Airfix kit is a bit longer than the AZ part. Don't want to go into a discussion on the relative accuracy of the two kits, however it's a difference worth keeping in mind if you plan on using the Airfix decals on the AZ kit. The decals may be a bit large if they are designed for the longer Airfix fuselage, might be worth checking if they fit fine on the shorter AZ kit

Thanks Giorgio, just compared it to the airfix mk1 so looks like the airfix is inaccurate (figures given the wings are two broad as well), hopefully the decals will be fine

I actually quite like the Airfix Mk IX (I've bought five) but I've formed the impression for what it's worth that the fuselage is 2.5-3mm too long, due to the wings being a mm or so too broad in chord and a similar amount too far forward, thus giving the fuselage extra length in the area of the forward fuselage fuel tank.

I actually quite like the Airfix Mk IX (I've bought five) but I've formed the impression for what it's worth that the fuselage is 2.5-3mm too long, due to the wings being a mm or so too broad in chord and a similar amount too far forward, thus giving the fuselage extra length in the area of the forward fuselage fuel tank.

My understanding is that this is not the case, and that it matches the Monforten Spitfire book dimensions quite well. The AZ IXs are slightly short by 1-2mm, unlike their VIIIs, which are spot on.

• Like 1

very unproductive weekend modelling, ddin't get much down friday afternoon as I decided to do what I been putting of for weeks and go into the loft to sort out my diecast boxes. Then woke up saturday to find my left hip region had gone into some sort of spasm and hurt like hell, which made doing much modelling a no no. Still was able to do a little, and painted this up in a few coats of desert colours. Next step isto fill and sand the gaps, and scratchbuild the bar between the bulkhead and the fuselage, got to think about how as will need to repeat it on the other two

06FFB320-AF5C-45C1-AECF-7EF190C7E682_zps

773DA874-1DB0-4739-A39B-62A8B3A01F8E_zps

• Like 4

Thanks Giorgio, just compared it to the airfix mk1 so looks like the airfix is inaccurate (figures given the wings are two broad as well), hopefully the decals will be fine

As Procopius said, the Airfix kit seems to be the most correct around when compared to measurements of the real thing. Mind, it's probably a bit on the long side, but the AZ one is sure too short. I compared the rear fuselage of the AZ kit with the Sword Seafire I'm building and the Sword part is longer, as is the Airfix one. I agree that the Airfix kit is likely to be too long in the tank area, this shows when compared to pictures. It is curious how such a well known aircraft like the Spitfire IX has yet to be treated properly by the plastic kit manufacuterers, although the Sword kit seems to be pretty close to ideal, apart from its short run nature. Eduard fortunately has announced a scaled down version of their 1/48 kit, this will likely be the definitive 1/72 Spit IX

• Like 1

frustating afternoon trying to paint the camo, I know its just the A type camo with mid stone instead of dark green, but its so confusing having done a base coat of mid stone as the light colour first, my brain wants to paint the dark earth as I would dark green.....

also found out the intake in the kit is a wider and shorter than the one airfix show for skalskis IXc....

frustating afternoon trying to paint the camo, I know its just the A type camo with mid stone instead of dark green, but its so confusing having done a base coat of mid stone as the light colour first, my brain wants to paint the dark earth as I would dark green.....

Well, that's what a number of painters actually did at MU level in the MTO on several Spitfires and other types, resulting in schemes where the two colours were transposed... :D

... and late to this one too, but now in :popcorn:

I'm building a couple of IXs next so I shall watch with interest :)

Hope your hip's better?

cheers Ced, yep my hibs find, was one of those weird things, was much so better in the morning, so much so I went to play with my football team, had cancelled, so strange. Anyway back to modelling watching your ixs with interest, build both the airfix and italeri myself before, and onto mine, almost ready for gloss coat, just got to fit the wheels in place, was unable to scratch the cockpit bar, well was able to make the thing, but impossible to get it in place, just not the room.

• Like 1

Decals are on, turned out the codes were way too light, but turned out I had a 2nd copy of them in a more suitable shade, also turned out the wing roundels were oversized so spares box to the rescue again. Couldn't find out if the real thing was a delivered in desert colours or repaint, assumed it was a repaint so I could save the stencils for my the final joypack spit.

807FA396-7415-4E97-BCAB-091100A2F7AF_zps

• Like 2

Judging from some discussions on the relative shapes of this and other Spitfire kits when compared to the real thing, it may very well be that it's not the roundel to be oversized but the AZ wing that is undersized... In any case, good to see that you sorted the problem. Having a good spare decals box always helps ! :thumbsup:

perhaps but my understanding is the roundel was 40 inches on a spit, which gives decal of 1.4cm, the ones airfix were closer to 2cm, notebly bigger than the ones proved with other spit sets, including airfix own mkI where the replacements came from. In my rush, seems I failed to note I hadn't fitted the cannon bulges...quite obvious really, so fitted the wide bugles, also fitted the smaller chin intake

• Like 1

In my rush, seems I failed to note I hadn't fitted the cannon bulges...quite obvious really, so fitted the wide bugles, also fitted the smaller chin intake

If I had a Spitfire kit for every time I failed to do this, I'd have even more Spitfire kits than I already do.

• Like 1

Roundels on the Spitfire from June 1942 were 56" above the wings, 32" below the wings and 36" on the fuselage. There were exceptions but these sizes would have been seen on the vast majority of Spitfires. Upperwing roundels were 56" also before June 1942 (but early ones were different) while the other were different (and of a different type).

From your measurement of almost 20mm, the Airfix roundel seem to be the right size

• Like 1

Oh, so I've used the wrong ones, oops, thought they looked too big, didn't know they got bigger after 42. will fix them

Wait before correcting, I'll try to see if there are pictures around of your aircraft !

Speaking of upper wing roundels, they roughly extend from the wing leading edge to the leading edge of the aileron. They were quite large, more so compared to other aircrafts of the day where they much smaller

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that this is not the case, and that it matches the Monforten Spitfire book dimensions quite well. The AZ IXs are slightly short by 1-2mm, unlike their VIIIs, which are spot on.

I don't have access to Monforten but I've checked my Airfix Mk IX fuselage against Olav Hungnes' measurements of Mk VIII MT418, and I have to say my impression's wrong and you and Graham Boak are right.