1/72 Tamiya Mk.Vb Supermarine Spitfire - Spitfire Collection Expansion Project - Finished and in the Gallery - 16/05/16

Hi Stix,

The weathering and decaling turned out very well. Did you apply the wash just along the panel lines? I usually apply a sludge wash, so a previous gloss coat is mandatory, otherwise I fear I won't be able to remove the excess wash. How does it work in your tank builds?

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime and thank you for your comments. I used a very fine brush to apply the wash directly to the panels lines and details. If there was any over-spill I'd wipe it away quickly with my finger in the direction of the air-flow. The paint is very thinned so this wiping away doesn't usually leave much of a trace. On my tank builds I tend to do all the weathering onto the matt paints, I've used, before I give everything a coat of matt varnish. On a couple of occasions I've not bothered with the final coat of matt varnish because I've quite liked the look of the different effects the weathering paints have given - some a bit shiny, some a bit mottled, etc.

The effect of your grey washes is very nice, I like the lower contrast better than a stark dark wash.

Thanks for the proper yellow paint technique explanation Stix!

Hi Cookie and thank you too for your comments. It's a fair point about the starkness of the Anthracite wash. I did try using the Gunship Grey to do the upper surfaces too but it actually made the panel lines look lighter, especially on the green areas, so I switched to Anthracite. I can certainly see what you mean in the photos but the effect isn't quite a stark in real life.

I like the effect, not too stark. Regarding a wash before or after the gloss coat, guess a lot depends on the materials used. One thing about a wash before the decals though: you may have to follow on after decalling as otherwise there's the risk of a nicely weathered airframe with accentuated panel lines and decals that don't show any of this...

Hi Giorgio and than you for your comments. And thank you too for the tip about weathering the decals afterwards! :thumbsup:

Really bringing it to life now stix. Also can I mirror the views of above, the grey wash has worked very well indeed.

Looking forward to more

Rob

Hi Rob and thank you too for your comments. I always think decals help with the bringing to life of aircraft.

Looking really good...

Thank you Plasto!

Speaking of decals - yesterday was spent adding the decals to the upper surfaces. I still need to apply a coat of Pledge to the fuselage sides though.

26891355275_f7df0c8841_c.jpg

26797852412_f8f5af2cdc_c.jpg

26891336315_3615945bc6_c.jpg

If I get chance, before the weekend, I may try and give the fuselage sides a coat of Pledge so that on Saturday I can start straight away on the weathering.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 9

Very neat job with decals (as usual) :clap: What are your final thoughts about this experiment of changing the order for wash/clear coats? Looks good to me ...

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

Thanks for the details on the washes. The decals turned out very well. Like others, I only apply washes after the decals are on, so that I minimise the weathering steps and get a uniform look on the decals and the rest of the surface. But I'm sure you'll get a great result with your approach as well, as has already been proved by your previous builds :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Very neat job with decals (as usual) :clap: What are your final thoughts about this experiment of changing the order for wash/clear coats? Looks good to me ...

Ciao

Hi Giemme. Thank you for your comments and your question. I think I found I was better able to control the panel line washes on the matt paint than when I apply them to the gloss Pledge coats. I think, as Jaime mentioned earlier, if you are doing a sludge coat then you have to have to do it over a gloss finish. As I applied my washes with very fine hairy sticks I think having a matt surface stops the very thinned paint pulling away from the surface. I will probably do it this way in future.

Hi Stix,

Thanks for the details on the washes. The decals turned out very well. Like others, I only apply washes after the decals are on, so that I minimise the weathering steps and get a uniform look on the decals and the rest of the surface. But I'm sure you'll get a great result with your approach as well, as has already been proved by your previous builds :)

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime and thank you. I'm going to try and remember to add the line wash over the decals next weekend!

Good afternoon Stix

:goodjob: She looks great with the decals on

Patrice

Thank you very much Patrice.

Ah, found it :goodjob:

Coming along very nicely Stix.

Glad you managed to find your way here Julian and thank you.

Hi Stix,

Progress is brilliant - As is the build itself :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you Nigel, you are very kind!

Thank you all for taking the time to comment.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Hi Giemme. Thank you for your comments and your question. I think I found I was better able to control the panel line washes on the matt paint than when I apply them to the gloss Pledge coats. I think, as Jaime mentioned earlier, if you are doing a sludge coat then you have to have to do it over a gloss finish. As I applied my washes with very fine hairy sticks I think having a matt surface stops the very thinned paint pulling away from the surface. I will probably do it this way in future.

Thanks Stix, that makes perfectly sense. The whole point of working on a gloss coat is to facilitate the sludge wash to easily run in to seams and lines, while the matt coat would "absorb" it (if that makes sense to you); even the tempera wash I used on my current build, which can easily be removed with just some water from a glossy surface, is going to stick to a matt coat (found out the hard way on a specific detail I forgot to coat with Future :banghead: ).

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 3

Not a lot to show for this morning's efforts - mostly spent the time waiting for the Pledge, which I applied over the fuselage decals, to dry. So most of the time I was working on my Hurricane build - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235002201-airfix-172-mki-hurricane-eduard-pe-cmk-wheels-update-140516/?p=2353250

Once the Pledge was suitably dry I masked the cockpit area and then gave it a light coat of Humbrol's matt varnish from a rattlecan:

26909754742_201039940c_c.jpg

26909750772_1037d3f218_c.jpg

26909747012_ba2b410958_c.jpg

26730053860_cf14303b00_c.jpg

26970345906_8a66e960b0_c.jpg

26398190864_558a30ae53_c.jpg

27003933455_0733e352a9_c.jpg

More tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 8

That looks the business Stix! The Matt coat has really come out well and sealed the decals down nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished :goodjob: cheers, Greg

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

the matt coat turned out beautifully and highlights the superb decaling work you did, as the decals really seem to be painted on.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

It looks absolutely beautiful. Lovely paint job!

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim and thank you very much!

That looks the business Stix! The Matt coat has really come out well and sealed the decals down nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished :goodjob: cheers, Greg

Hi Greg and thank you very much too! I managed to get her finished yesterday and will post some photos in the Gallery soon.

Absolutely agree.

Cheers

John

Thank you John.

Great job Stix.

Thank you too Cookie!

I keep repeating myself, but this looks like 1/48, and a very good one! :frantic::clap::worthy:

Ciao

Thank you Giemme - you are very kind! :thumbsup:

Hi Stix,

Looks lovely but the underside is especially wonderful.

Can wait for the finished product!!

Cheers

Hi Nigel and thank you very much as well. Yes I was pleased with the underneath on this one. It may be that I swapped from using a Humbrol light grey paint to Revell's Light Grey. It did seem easier to apply.

Looks superb, really enjoying following this one!

Dermot

Thank you very much Dermot.

Hi Stix,

the matt coat turned out beautifully and highlights the superb decaling work you did, as the decals really seem to be painted on.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime and thank you. I think these decals were better than the ones Tamiya provide for use on their 1/48 version of this kit. I only had one split on this build - and not too badly.

As I mentioned above - I managed to get this aircraft finished yesterday. I did some weathering in a variety of places with a range of acrylic paints and then I gave it a final coat of Humbrol's spray can matt varnish. After that was dry it was a matter of assembling all the smaller parts, including adding some EZline for the wires.

26419309314_736f7cbd00_c.jpg

26930670482_4f8bae5a1f_c.jpg

26751039320_307ed9db4c_c.jpg

26991339226_cd88313e16_c.jpg

I'll post some photos, that I took yesterday, in the Gallery when I get chance.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 12

Really top work!

A fantastic finish. Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Jim

Beautiful finished project Stix :thumbsup:

Thank you Jim and Steve - you are very kind! :thumbsup:

I have now put some photos in the Gallery - here

....and there are more photos in the RFI section: here

A couple here:

26441375624_f74e4ee762_c.jpg

27013762646_738d499821_c.jpg

In the first post of this thread I posted a photo of my 1/48 version of this kit so I took a few of them both together - just one here:

26978500551_2b3a1da1ca_c.jpg

Thank you to the hosts for a great GB and to everyone who took the time to offer advice or comment.

Kind regards,

Stix

'For Edgar'

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 7

Hi Stix,

Congrats on another superbly finished build! And the photographs are impressive, as always!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1