1/72 Tamiya Mk.Vb Supermarine Spitfire - Spitfire Collection Expansion Project - Finished and in the Gallery - 16/05/16

Sorry stix I haven't been along for a while. Your progress looks excellent. Well done on the little bits of PE. As others have said very cunning way of sorting the wing join, I will have to give it a crack some time

Rob

• Like 1

Looking good Stix. Its hard not to have over thick canopies in this scale, all part of the injection process limitations. Well done! Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

Just found your thread again. The progress in your build is excellent, showing your usual care and attention to detail :goodjob:

The idea of glueing the top parts of the wings first is very interesting, as I always get problems with the wing roots when glueing the wings parts first and then glueing the complete wing to the fuselage. However, how do you make sure you get the correct dihedral? Do you use the lower wing part as a guide?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Some great progress !

Regarding the canopy, it may not be too easy to have it open as the thickness of the plastic may play against it... however an open canopy is a great way to show the good cockpit

• Like 1

Looking very nice Stix - good job!

Thank you Ced.

Sorry stix I haven't been along for a while. Your progress looks excellent. Well done on the little bits of PE. As others have said very cunning way of sorting the wing join, I will have to give it a crack some time

Rob

No problem Rob. I know you're a busy man and there's only so much time for looking through all the threads on BM. The PE was quite fiddly in places but I'm pleased I used it. With regards the wings - I have used the top wing join method a few times now - but only if it looks like the join won't be good.

Looking good Stix. Its hard not to have over thick canopies in this scale, all part of the injection process limitations. Well done! Cheers Greg

Thank you Greg. Yes the main canopy section is quite thick - see below - but I'm going to live with it because I do want to have it open.

Excellent canopy detail work Stix, will be worth it on the finished model.

Thank you very much Cookie.

Hi Stix,

Just found your thread again. The progress in your build is excellent, showing your usual care and attention to detail :goodjob:

The idea of glueing the top parts of the wings first is very interesting, as I always get problems with the wing roots when glueing the wings parts first and then glueing the complete wing to the fuselage. However, how do you make sure you get the correct dihedral? Do you use the lower wing part as a guide?

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime and thank you very much. In this case; the angle on the joint sections gave what appeared to be a suitable angle. But I suppose, if there had been some issue with joining the fuselage together, the angle may end up not being correct. I have had it on one kit where the angle was too flat when I dry fitted it so I ended up, when I glued it, stretching masking tape from under one wing tip, over the front of the fuselage to under the other wing tip and pulling it tight enough to get the right angle. Once the glue had set it kept the correct angle. Hope that helps.

Some great progress !

Regarding the canopy, it may not be too easy to have it open as the thickness of the plastic may play against it... however an open canopy is a great way to show the good cockpit

Hi Giorgio and thank you too. The canopy is thick but I think it goes over well enough to look okay - not perfect - but okay. You can see the test I did below in the photos.

Great progress Stix, brave man with cutting the canopies :worthy:

Ciao

Thank you giemme but the first one I did I managed to crack a little - luckily Tamiya provide three!

I did manage to get some more work done on this project on Sunday and Monday but I've just not had any time to post the photos.

First off, on Sunday morning, I did the final bits of filling, filing and sanding. Then it was time to start painting. First off I applied the pre-shading by brush using very thinned Revell Anthracite:

26747245895_efa690922a_c.jpg

26143132443_6e9a5547ac_c.jpg

This seemed to take forever to do!

Then I applied thinned Revell Light Grey to the undersides using flat brushes:

26149860444_41758b8461_c.jpg

.....and Humbrol's Ocean Grey to the upper surfaces - again thinned with water:

26662270912_583411e8f0_c.jpg

There are about three coats of each.

I then decided to do a test fit of the central canopy section in the open position:

26701980721_bb1f189500_c.jpg

As I mentioned above it does sit a little high but I can live with that.

Then, once the grey had had time to set, I started adding the camouflage green using thinned Humbrol US Dark Green. I applied this using the small Humbrol flat brush:

26163476814_9c846ddbf3_c.jpg

26165436303_d6c85278f1_c.jpg

26768889155_7871db8cc2_c.jpg

I took the photos above after two coats of the three I apply so you can see the effect after the two.

On Monday it was time to start adding the detail painting - walkway lines, yellow strips along the front of the wings, red patches and sky band around the rear fuselage:

26749785726_2b0c13fe7e_c.jpg

26707694701_89c0e62b7a_c.jpg

26749780636_6ce5c0a46f_c.jpg

26169346164_2bc3797a16_c.jpg

26681078332_19c8d98128_c.jpg

I find it easier to paint the above detail rather than use the supplied decals. All of them just require a bit of masking and then I sort of dry-brush the paint on.

Finally a quick photo of all the additional parts that are ready to be fitted once the decals are on and the weathering is complete - hopefully next weekend:

26749754186_b2de40f18e_c.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 9

All in all, you had a very productive long weekend! :thumbsup:

First off, with paint on this kit looks definitely like it's in 1:48; secondly, your pre-shading shows through the Ocean Grey in a way that is just perfect (to my taste, of course). I'm surprised I can see the effect better on the upper surface than on the lower, painted with Light Grey (but probably it's due to the picture).

Third, the canopy looks very good to me; and finally your camouflage and detail painting is, as always, impeccable. :clap::worthy:

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

Thanks for the tips on the wing assembly.

Your week-end work is, as always, impeccable and the pre-shading turned-out very well.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Bloody hell stix you are nearly finished! Looks like you made the most of your weekend, and got a very nice result. You also appear to have made pre shading work in 1/72 using a brush, something I am yet to master

Rob

• Like 1

Good afternoon Stix

Very good job , this time you are are ahead of me ..

Patrice

Thank you Patrice. Yes the three day weekend meant I got a lot more done on this than I normally do. I also managed some time on it during the afternoons - which is a bit of a luxury! Back to only two days of weekend this coming weekend.

All in all, you had a very productive long weekend! :thumbsup:

First off, with paint on this kit looks definitely like it's in 1:48; secondly, your pre-shading shows through the Ocean Grey in a way that is just perfect (to my taste, of course). I'm surprised I can see the effect better on the upper surface than on the lower, painted with Light Grey (but probably it's due to the picture).

Third, the canopy looks very good to me; and finally your camouflage and detail painting is, as always, impeccable. :clap::worthy:

Ciao

Hi giemme and thank you. Yes I did enjoy the three days off - it meant I got a lot further than anticipated. With regards the pre-shading - I think it may just be on the photo it looks washed out on the underside - the lighting in our kitchen isn't great and on flat, light surfaces of models I have to take the photos at a bit of an angle to stop the surface just being all shine. I think this has reduced the effect of the pre-shading. Thank you as well for your comments about the canopy and painting. The canopy sat a bit higher than it currently does but I managed to file off some of the insides of the bottom edges which seemed to do the trick.

Hi Stix,

Thanks for the tips on the wing assembly.

Your week-end work is, as always, impeccable and the pre-shading turned-out very well.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime and thank you. And no problem - hope it helps if you ever find the wing root join isn't as good as it could be.

Bloody hell stix you are nearly finished! Looks like you made the most of your weekend, and got a very nice result. You also appear to have made pre shading work in 1/72 using a brush, something I am yet to master

Rob

Hi Rob and not quite! I can make these last few stages last weeks.......usually because I missed something! Thank you.

Your brush painting skills never cease to amaze, Stix. How did you go about painting the yellow leading edge stripes?

Hi Cookie and thank you too. For the leading edge yellow strips I usually cut some Tamiya masking into thin strips - about 2 or 3mm wide. Because it's in thin strips it is easier to get it to follow the curve of the front of the wing. I then look at a combination of the decals provided and the diagrams in the instructions to try and get an idea of how wide the space is I need to leave clear from the front edge - from where the yellow strips start near the canon to where it ends towards the wing tips. I then carefully apply the strips of masking tape - lining them up by eye - to the top and bottom of the wing. I then put a strip of masking tape at each end of where the painted yellow wing strip starts and finishes. I then apply additional masking tape around the strips of masking tape to stop any over-painting going onto the rest of the wing. To paint the area I slightly thin some yellow acrylic paint with water and then, using a fairly old flat brush, I get some paint on the brush - dry it a little on a paper towel and then dry brush the areas. On the first application the yellow doesn't hardly show up at all over the painted areas. Once that layer has dried I just keep building the thinned layers of paint up until I get the look I require. Towards the end I use less thinned paint, but again I keep dry-brushing it until the yellow is deep enough in colour. If you decide to try this method my advice would be be to practice on something else - I practiced on several bits of scrap before doing it on any of my planes. HTH.

The paintwork is up to your usual high standard Stix. It's surprising what you can achieve with an extra day.

Cheers

John

Hi John and thank you. Yes that extra day was a real bonus!

Beautiful work Stix and a beautiful result. Good job! :)

Hi Ced and thank you very much.

It's looking very tidy.

Thank you Beard.

Blimey Stix - You've been busy!!

She's looking lovelier which each photo :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you Nigel - yes I have been busy and it was good fun too! You are too kind.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to comment.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

Hi Stix,

Your Spitfire is looking excellent. The paint work is immaculate as ever! The sliding section of the canopy has turned out well, I recall trying the same thing with the old 1/48 Airfix kit, the only problem being that it did sit a bit high once reattached in the open position. It doesn't look at all noticeable in the Tamiya kit. The Italieri 1/72 vb kit came with 3 piece canopies that were nice and thin if you were looking for a replacement, not that you need it now. I look forward to seeing the finished article. Congrats on another fantastic build :clap: Cheers, Greg.

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

Your Spitfire is looking excellent. The paint work is immaculate as ever! The sliding section of the canopy has turned out well, I recall trying the same thing with the old 1/48 Airfix kit, the only problem being that it did sit a bit high once reattached in the open position. It doesn't look at all noticeable in the Tamiya kit. The Italieri 1/72 vb kit came with 3 piece canopies that were nice and thin if you were looking for a replacement, not that you need it now. I look forward to seeing the finished article. Congrats on another fantastic build :clap: Cheers, Greg.

Hi Greg and thank you very much for your comments and suggestions. Funny you should mention Italeri's Vb because I have made one a year or so ago and I know I used one of the canopies on it and one on another Spitfire build - leaving, I thought, one spare - but I can't find it anywhere. I had thought about using it after you had mentioned how thick these may be but a search through all my leftovers revealed nothing. Hopefully when this one is all together it will be less noticeable that it sits a bit high.

Looking good Stix :coolio: You've got a solid yellow down there using your method.

Hi Col and thank you too. I am always a little surprised how well Revell's yellow paint goes over the other colours!

Today has seen some more progress. I decided to change from what I normally do once the main painting is done - which is to apply a coat of Pledge (modern version of Klear) and then apply the decals. This time I decided to try and do the panel line washes first and some light, base weathering. The reason for this is that I normally do the weathering on my tank projects before I do any varnishing of any kind so I thought I'd try it with this.......so panel line washes and light weathering using Revell's Gunship Grey on the underside - heavily thinned with water:

26772725862_db1d5f3481_c.jpg

Then I did the washes and some light weathering on the upper surfaces with well thinned Revell's Anthracite:

26832684026_3d76e34810_c.jpg

26866466075_e7a095647c_c.jpg

Once this had had chance to dry thoroughly I gave everything a coat of Pledge:

26866463515_78bdcf7801_c.jpg

While this was drying I started to cut out all the decals - I try to cut away as much of the clear carrier film as possible to reduce the amount of silvering:

26866461075_623f577521_c.jpg

Then, this afternoon, I started to apply the decals to the undersides and gave them a coat of Pledge to seal them on:

26871466845_e9468fd645_c.jpg

More tomorrow.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 9

Hi Stix,

The weathering and decaling turned out very well. Did you apply the wash just along the panel lines? I usually apply a sludge wash, so a previous gloss coat is mandatory, otherwise I fear I won't be able to remove the excess wash. How does it work in your tank builds?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

I like the effect, not too stark. Regarding a wash before or after the gloss coat, guess a lot depends on the materials used. One thing about a wash before the decals though: you may have to follow on after decalling as otherwise there's the risk of a nicely weathered airframe with accentuated panel lines and decals that don't show any of this...

• Like 1