Tamiya's new masking tape for curves. Thumbs up!

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Hi all - got some of this last weekend, and having had a chance to try it - I'd say its pretty darn good

It will curve nicely, gives a good edge and comes away cleanly ( so far). Its thicker than their normal "kabuki" style stuff ( feels like a thin vinyl of some sort).

I masked the rear curved portion of my Yak 9 rear canopy with it in one go. I also used my tweezers to push it in to shape a little more with no ill affects.

Nice idea - and it works.

Jonners

• Like 3

Mine has just arrived from Frome Model Center (free postage and good service)

It feels and handles very like some I ordered from MicroMark USA over 15 years ago. Its a going to be a useful addition to the model box.

Thanks for the" heads up" Jonner s :thumbsup2:

I'm using 3M blue vinyl tape for this purpose, but I find it is a little too sticky and it's also quite thick. Has anybody compared the two?

IIRC the tape I mentioned in my reply could have been 3M. It was blue and just a little thick. The Tamiya one, is less dense and seems to stretch easier,its not as sticky in my opinion ,but I havent tried it on a model as yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I got some in 3mm from modelsforsale just to experiment with and from using it for some bits and pieces on the lanc I'm slowly finishing it gets a hearty thumbs up from the man cave, as Jon says above you can nudge and shape it with no dramas

• 2 weeks later...

I like it and have used it recently for Spitfire canopies - you know, the back of the main canopy where normal tape creases - and I've found applying a warm finger helps settle it down. It does seem to stick more than Kabuki and needs more 'tug' to remove but I've had no creep so far.

Good stuff IMHO.

Brilliant news then. I picked up 2 packs of the 2mm stuff at Cosford recently. I wondered how it would fair for hard edge raf camo. I will make a test model to see how it goes.

• 1 year later...

Just to add a different view, I was as enthused as most about this stuff, but am now less so. I find the adhesion poor and making tighter curves with, say, a radius of 1 cm can be trying as I get kinks (using 1mm tape). You can smooth down the kinks, but you'd best do what you will quickly because they can pop back up. Also found they do creep a bit.

Caveat being perhaps I'm not using it properly, but it should be straightforward and has been frustrating to work with at times.