A new tool 1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk.I from the First of many Squadrons flying Spitfires in August 1938

I was fortunate in receiving some help from Edgar when I built my Spitfire for last year's Battle of Britain GB.

X4382-141b.jpg

As a tribute to his generosity, I would like to dedicate my build of a No. 19 Squadron Spitfire from August 1938 to him. Early Spitfires from No. 19 Squadron are well documented and the model will be a great companion to my No. 111 Squadron Hurricane when I get finally back onto it.

Even though in a stock standard colour scheme, the upper wing yellow roundels do give it a unique look.

B-Spit-3.jpg

B-Spit-2.jpg

I haven't made up my mind to do K9797 with a red 19

B-Spit-1.jpg

Or K9794 with a yellow 19

B-Spit-4.jpg

Or K9795 with a white 19...

I will build again the new tool Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I. Unfortunately the time frame for this GB is too short for me to finish this build as I like to use some additional accessories and incorporate some additional detail like RIVETS - and participating currently in another 4 GBs with 13 models doesn't help.

So I will take my time for this build and keep updating the build progress from time to time.

I am looking forward in getting started.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 4

Welcome to the GB Peter. The beauty of this one being an open ended tribute to Edgar is you can work at your own pace adding as much detail as you wish :)

I polished it as it had some scratches on it. I also dipped it in Alclad II Aqua Gloss clear after. But the stuff came off when I masked the canopy. So I striped it off by soaking the canopy in windex.

So I guess you can say it is polished. But the virgin Airfix canopy is very shiny.

Cheers, Peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

About time to progress a bit here. As you can see, I will add a selection of aftermarket stuff to enhance the model.

B-Spit-5b.jpg

I may not use all of it and I am undecided if I use the Brassin or Ultracast exhaust.

I started by building the Eduard Brassin cockpit set for the Spitfire Mk.I

B-Spit-6.jpg

It looks great, but like most Brassin stuff, it is poorly researched!

It has the early undercarriage leaver pump for an early Mk.I Spitfire, but has a resin (Bakelite/Paper) seat and the entry hatch has an integrated crowbar, both features introduced after the undercarriage pump was automated (and there is no later type undercarriage leaver in the set) - rather disappointing.

So I had to purchase the ultracast early type metal seat and entry hatch without the crow bar to replace the wrong Brassin parts which I should be able to use in a late Mk.I build one day.

I most likely also replace the IP with one from Yahu as I am not a great fan of the prepainted Eduard IPs. Or I may use the resin IP in the set with airscale instrument decals.

I prepared all the resin parts to be primed and painted by adding all the PE stuff.

B-Spit-7.jpg

Here is till the resin seat, but will be replaced with the Ultracast seat.

In regards to the early metal seat, I came across this old post from 2009. Here Edgar made an interesting comment:

"note there's no cut-out in the right side (that came later; I believe to stop any possibility of the Sutton strap fouling the raising/lowering lever.) Not visible from this angle, but the early seat had no cut-out (handhold) in the backrest, either; the first oval cut-out was in the newly-fitted armour plate."

Unfortunately the picture this text refers to is no longer showing. So no cutout on the right side and on the backrest on early metal seats. But without the cutout on the backrest, how was the Sutton harness used?

Does anyone have more information on this and maybe a picture showing an early metal seat without the cut-outs? - That would be great.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Nice selection of extras there Peter :coolio:

With regard to the early seat without cutouts; are you perhaps thinking of the head armour cutout for the harness to thread through? I don't think the cutout in the middle of the seat back was part of the harness operations.

Wow, there's a lot of accessories there, this will be a very detailed model !

One aspect of Spitfires that I always struggled to understand is the operation of the various types of seat belts! Edgar spent a lot of time investigating the various types used on the Spit and I believe that a lot of what is known among modellers today comes from his research.

Regarding the early Sutton harness operation, some info is here:

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/the-sutton-harness-on-the-spitfire.html

My understanding is that the cutout in the rear of the seat has nothing to do with the harness, the two sections of the shoulder harnesses pass above the seat, one is then linked to a cable and passes through the headrest armour while the other goes down behind the seat and is then attached to a frame there

Nice selection of extras there Peter :coolio:

With regard to the early seat without cutouts; are you perhaps thinking of the head armour cutout for the harness to thread through? I don't think the cutout in the middle of the seat back was part of the harness operations.

Early Spitfires had no head armour. So no, it is definitely the slot in the seat's back.

Wow, there's a lot of accessories there, this will be a very detailed model !

One aspect of Spitfires that I always struggled to understand is the operation of the various types of seat belts! Edgar spent a lot of time investigating the various types used on the Spit and I believe that a lot of what is known among modellers today comes from his research.

Yes Edgar did a lot of research regarding the different harnesses used in Spitfires and his information on this forum is a goldmine.

My understanding is that the cutout in the rear of the seat has nothing to do with the harness, the two sections of the shoulder harnesses pass above the seat, one is then linked to a cable and passes through the headrest armour while the other goes down behind the seat and is then attached to a frame there

Well, that is a point which has a lot of controversy. Edgar had the opinion you mentioned, others are off the opinion that one section of the shoulder harnesses was pass through the cut-out, enabling the pilot to lean forward. This was the norm in many other British fighters like the Hurricane.

SuttonHarness.jpg

See sketch top right.

Here is a lengthy discussion about this.

But this is not the issue here. I am after information on early metal seats used in the Spitfire which according to Edgar had no slot in the seat's back and on the side.

Cheers, Peter

• 2 months later...

I know it took its time, but I am still working on it :thumbsup:

A kind forum member located the photo in question where Edgar mentioned that early seats didn't had the cut-outs.

early-Spitfire-seat.jpg

I therefore "corrected" the Ultracast seat by closing the two cut-outs. I also removed the flare cartridge holder as it wouldn't have been fitted to this early spitfire. I used some Airfix and eduard PE parts for the mountings.

B-Spit-8.jpg

eduard's instruction for the cockpit installation are the same as Airfix by inserting the finished cockpit tub into the fuselage.

B-Spit-9.jpg

This was how I intended to assemble the cockpit originally, but I then had some second thoughts as the assembly in the front of the cockpit looks challenging with this one piece part.

So I cut the one piece part in two and attached each half to the relevant fuselage.

B-Spit-10.jpg

I filled the gaps with CA/talcum mix which provides some extra strength as well. I will sanding it off after the fuselage is glued together.

The cut width was 0.5mm wide, but after gluing the parts to the fuselage, I ended up with a 1mm gap :shrug:

B-Spit-11.jpg

The inside of the fuselage needed some thinning to accommodate the eduard resin parts.

B-Spit-12.jpg

Unfortunately, the eduard replacement part isn't the same length as the Airfix part, so I had to cut off the rear of the Airfix insert to fill the gap.

B-Spit-13.jpg

All the parts - eduard, Airfix, PE and scratched are now in place.

And the other side.

B-Spit-14.jpg

The undercarriage pump leaver still needs to be fitted, but I do this after painting.

Here all together.

B-Spit-15.jpg

Having two complete sides made the fitting of the PE parts much easier.

B-Spit-16.jpg

And with the 1mm shim in place, the fuselage should go together nicely.

Hopefully my next update won't take as long as this one took.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

Hi Peter, good to see you back with this. That's an interesting approach to the upper fuselage part, I didn't have any real problems with mine but I didn't use an aftermarket cockpit.

If you are intending to use the two blade or early variable pitch propeller you won't need the outer lever ( pitch control ) on the throttle quadrant by the way, something you probably already know but I just thought I'd mention it.

Cheers

John

That's really a great level of detail, pity that the parts need so much fettling.

Good to see that picture again, I'd better save it for my own reference now..

Thanks Giorgio. Eduard could indeed have done a better job with this cockpit set. But the challenge to make it work was a satisfying task.

Hi Peter, good to see you back with this. That's an interesting approach to the upper fuselage part, I didn't have any real problems with mine but I didn't use an aftermarket cockpit.

If you are intending to use the two blade or early variable pitch propeller you won't need the outer lever ( pitch control ) on the throttle quadrant by the way, something you probably already know but I just thought I'd mention it.

Cheers

John

John, the main reason I cut the upper fuselage part in half wan mainly to make attaching the various parts there ab it easier.

Thanks to point out the difference in the throttle quadrant for a two bladed prop which mine will be. I wasn't aware of this and I think not many people know all the cockpit variations of a Spitfire like you do.

Now that you pointed it out, I would like to correct it. Is there a picture available showing the throttle quadrant without the pitch control? If not, which leaver has to be removed - would hate to remove the wrong one :banghead:

Thanks, Peter

Hello again, at the time of the Battle of Britain GB last year there were some very good photos of an early Mk 1 rebuild which now seem to have been removed. If you look at any picture of the throttle quadrant you will see a lever marked "propeller control " and this is the one to remove. In your picture in post 10 of the PE parts in place, it is the one pointing forward and attached to a circular plate, remove the lever only as the circular part represents the throttle friction tightening device. Hope this helps.

Cheers John

PS I havn't looked but there might be something on one of the " all the Spitfire questions " threads.

Me again I have found a photo and this is the link

http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi169.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fu229%2Fcolinsstuff_photos%2FDuxford%252520Airshow%252520Sept%2525202011%2FSpitfireMK1cockpittall.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.keypublishing.com%2Farchive%2Findex.php%2Ft-110762-p-2.html&h=1024&w=768&tbnid=BVUzpk6eIZRY-M%3A&docid=IZrjz7XfCjd8vM&ei=ZsheV_nkCcyxaunzu7AK&tbm=isch&client=safari&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=3570&page=2&start=27&ndsp=36&ved=0ahUKEwj5r-OqoKXNAhXMmBoKHen5DqYQMwhiKB0wHQ&bih=876&biw=1565

If the above does not work put into a search engine - early spitfire mark1 cockpit showing engine controls port side - make sure you indicate images on the search

The aircraft concerned is actually a later mark 1 with a two pitch airscrew the control for which can be seen immediately behind the throttle quadrant.

Regards

John

Edit. There's a better one here on BM look for Spitfire MK I/II instrument panel colour in the WW II era

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

Hi John. Ah, the picture is of P9374. You are correct, the website covering the restoration www.markonepartners.co.uk is no longer on-line since the aircraft was auctioned. Fortunately I saved all the pictures when I was building my BoB Spitfire. I used these pictures to detail this build, but didn't spot the throttle discrepancy :banghead:This was one of them.

B-Spit-19.jpg

And this picture is from the book on P9374 (great read).

B-Spit-18.jpg

I would assume that the pitch control pully isn't in a spit with a two blade fix pitch propeller.

And here the in the model.

B-Spit-17.jpg

I remodeled the throttle a bit and it has now two leavers behind each other.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Cheers, Peter

PS, this link has some good footage of P9374

• Like 2

Hi Peter, glad you found the pictures, and thanks for the other link. You're right about the push/pull pitch control, it was used on the early three bladed props. There are also good close ups of the landing lamps control and it's mounting should you be tempted to build it.

Cheers

John

Thanks Giorgio. As a tribute to Edgar, I feel I have to make this build to my best ability.

I added some Mr. Surfacer resin primer. I am always impressed to see all these detail in the resin after some paint is on.

B-Spit-20.jpg

B-Spit-21.jpg

Hi Peter, glad you found the pictures, and thanks for the other link. You're right about the push/pull pitch control, it was used on the early three bladed props. There are also good close ups of the landing lamps control and it's mounting should you be tempted to build it.

Cheers

John

John, eduard did a rather good job with the landing lamps control.

B-Spit-22.jpg

The only thing missing was the leaver so I added one from an Airscale PE set.

And here are the remaining parts making up the cockpit :mental:

B-Spit-23.jpg

Still a bit of work ahead in painting and assemble all.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Yes the Brassin resin parts are some of the nicest cast resin part, but aren't the best researched parts unfortunately.

They look even better with some paint on and slight weathering and chipping.

B-Spit-24.jpg

B-Spit-25.jpg

B-Spit-26.jpg

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...