Airfix 1/48 Fury

You've turned a sow's ear into a silk purse. very nice. Having just finished one (in SAAF camo) I know what you had to deal with. My hat is off to you!

I read somewhere that the kit is actually an original un-released Merit kit from the dark ages, touched up a bit and released by Airfix in the the not quite so long ago. It would be nice if Airfix did a retouch again - the basics are there but there are areas that need work - you know what I mean.

Kudos for a suprlative build.

• Like 1

Fantastic - indeed a brilliant job done of a beautiful aircraft. Would be amazing if Airfix did a new tooling for us (wishful thinking I suspect)........

BillyD

• Like 1

You've turned a sow's ear into a silk purse. very nice. Having just finished one (in SAAF camo) I know what you had to deal with. My hat is off to you!

I read somewhere that the kit is actually an original un-released Merit kit from the dark ages, touched up a bit and released by Airfix in the the not quite so long ago. It would be nice if Airfix did a retouch again - the basics are there but there are areas that need work - you know what I mean.

Kudos for a suprlative build.

I have the old merit / pyro kit and they would appear to be the same, although the merit / pyro kit is in shiny silver plastic, as was all the rage in those days no doubt !

Cheers Pat

That is a very good job, and it's such a lovely aeroplane! Were the kit decals good? They look cracking on, but you might have had to sweat blood...

This is a warmed-over unreleased Merit tool. The Inpact/Lindberg/Pyro mould is a different beast. Similar, but it's different in dimensions and shapes here and there. It's got very nice crisp detail. I've been pondering cross-kitting them, because the main flaw with the Inpact original is that it's too short, but I think with some cuts at the interface between the metal panels and fabric covered area that problem could be corrected with the Airfix bits...

bestest,

M.

I have the old merit / pyro kit and they would appear to be the same, although the merit / pyro kit is in shiny silver plastic, as was all the rage in those days no doubt !

Cheers Pat

Not quite. The Airfix kit is supposed to be related to a Merit kit but the Inpact / Pyro kit is completely different.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234931354-airfix-148-hawker-fury-i/

Edited by Work In Progress

That is a very good job, and it's such a lovely aeroplane! Were the kit decals good? They look cracking on, but you might have had to sweat blood...

This is a warmed-over unreleased Merit tool. The Inpact/Lindberg/Pyro mould is a different beast. Similar, but it's different in dimensions and shapes here and there. It's got very nice crisp detail. I've been pondering cross-kitting them, because the main flaw with the Inpact original is that it's too short, but I think with some cuts at the interface between the metal panels and fabric covered area that problem could be corrected with the Airfix bits...

bestest,

M.

Hi M

Thanks for the Intel, it sounds like you are talking yourself into a project there !

Not quite. The Airfix kit is supposed to be related to a Merit kit but the Inpact / Pyro kit is completely different.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234931354-airfix-148-hawker-fury-i/

Thanks WIP

I've never put the 2 side by side,

Lovely job Alan

Cheers Pat