Avro Shackleton AEW Mk. 2 Details

Radar

The interior is now complete.

The rear and main floor is Revell, raised cockpit floor and forward weapon bay bulkhead plasticard, forward compartment floor and all interior parts are Airfix.

All the seats are Airfix, rear half bulkhead Revell, other two bulkheads Airfix, cockpit all Airfix apart from the Revell main instrument panel, upper pilots panel and blinds Airfix.

Painting is a bit rough around the edges, but I knew I wouldn't be able to see it clearly when the fuselage was all closed up, having since closed it up you actually hardly get to see any of it!

One thing you do see, through the upper escape hatch glass, is the rest area bench seat, so I used two of the radar area seats, joined them together and fitted aft of the bulkhead.

When I build the next one I shall only detail the front gunners position, cockpit, flight engineers and signallers positions.

26167424266_643e9c2ee0_h.jpgRevell Shackleton AEW.2 kit by James Thomas, on Flickr

26193300295_8296d05993_h.jpg463 (1600x1068) by James Thomas, on Flickr

26167384796_8c130b62f7_h.jpgRevell Shackleton AEW.2 kit by James Thomas, on Flickr

All bits cross kit really well, I had to do some chopping on the front spar center section for the tactical desk and consoles to fit nicely, everything else dropped right in. The way the Revell fuselage breaks down helps a lot for trial fitting all the bits.

The main Revell parts fit staggeringly well, in fact I had to open the main entry door aperture out a bit as the door fits so precisely that after painting you wouldn't make out the door.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4

Not that expensive as I'm using all parts to build both kits, just that I want my AEW to be the superior build.

I have plans for the Airfix kit where a decent interior won't matter too much.

Just out of interest, I bet buying aftermarket parts to detail the Revell interior to above requirement probably wouldn't be far off buying an Airfix kit

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is dragging on longer than I'd hoped...

26655167646_fb25f9d6c4_b.jpg006 (1200x800)e by James Thomas, on Flickr

The red circle shows the the loop aerial adjusted for the correct shape and size, I kept the length the same but it is a lot narrower and rounded than the kit version. It is the kit part filed to shape. The yellow circles show areas to be filled, as they are MR.3 related.

26077812843_2570fba14a_b.jpg007 (1200x798)e by James Thomas, on Flickr

The red circles are various cabin air outlets that need to be added as they are missing from the kit. The stb'd lower aft, and port upper outlets in particular are quite large and noticeable. the yellow circles are as above, plus for blanking and filling the MR.3 only rear stb'd window.

The earlier post about the size of the Orange Harvest head prompted me to look at photos of them. I hadn't realised until now that there were at least two different types, you see both types fitted to MR.3s, but I can only see the larger/taller one fitted to AEWs, so as Rich suggested the Airfix one is the best version and I will use that on my build. the Revell and Frog ones are suitable for most MRs.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I decided to use the Airfix external cabin heaters as these reflected the two different lengths (longer one on port side) and look better than the Revell ones, and I sourced a Union Jack decal from the Revell/Frog MR.3 kit.

27244667844_37350870aa_c.jpgRevell 1/72 Shackleton AEW.2 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Thats it for my build - the first one anyway!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 10

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 09/04/2016 at 11:27 AM, 71chally said:

I don't seem to have that on the wheels in my kit, I do have mild sinking in the upper wing halves at the flap hinge line, and some in the stb'd fuselage half near the upper alignment pins.

I got that on my Airfix MR.2. The upside of that I suppose is the shrinkage should be easier to fill as there are no "rivets".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Airfix Model World magazine have done an interesting article this month - May 2017 in which Jen Wright has built an Airfix version of an AEW Mk. 2. But yet again they've jumped the gun and it appears that the author was given pre-production parts ( the new sprue containing AEW parts) and not the kit decals. The build is of one of the Pathos abandoned aircraft aircraft WL747 and has been built using practically all the aftermarket sets available for flaps, wheels, masks etc.

Personally I don't like the build, it looks horrible as the washed out bleached mess the aircraft now is, but that's just my personal opinion. I would have preferred an honest OOB build and and unbiased report of the production kit so that it could be compared side by side with the Revell version. Maybe another publication will do that once the kit is released!

Cheers all

Ian

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2016 at 1:15 PM, richw_82 said:

Undercarriage locks -

Large red telescopic items that you can see above each leg, going to the knuckle joint.

12745907_963338467094559_108182979375012

The tailwheel lock is a small red collar that fits around the top of the hydraulic ram.

Sorry to be asking this, but is there any way you can get your pictures to show?

If I try to open them in a new tab, I get this comment: URL signature expired

I just got my Revell Shackleton, so I am trying to get all the data I will need to build it.

Larry

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

While not an AEW I did mange a walkthrough of the MR.3 at Gatwick Aviation museum and it gives you an idea what the interior looks like if anyone needs any pictures.

Julien

• 3 months later...

What colour should this be? I was thinking 164 Dark Sea Grey - is it satin finish? Anyone recommend a good spray can for this? Hobby craft has sold out and the Amazon ones are over £20!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2017 at 4:10 PM, Lord Riot said:

What colour should this be? I was thinking 164 Dark Sea Grey - is it satin finish? Anyone recommend a good spray can for this? Hobby craft has sold out and the Amazon ones are over £20!

Dark Sea Grey is correct, I used Humbrol 164 (satin) brush painted.  A couple of top coats of Kleer gives it the most realistic finish for an AEW in my opinion.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...