Link to RAF base 1940 pictures

Pete in Lincs

Well the Spitfires are clearly 65 squadron and some searching reveals the Hurricanes as 253 squadron. Both squadrons are linked to Manston in early 1940 so I would put that out as a suggestion for the location. Edit: The Blenheims are 604 squadron and there's a photo of John Cunningham. So Manston it is. All three squadrons were there prior to the battle of France. There's also a couple of photos of Bob Stanford Tuck among the faces.

Other than that the photos are superb.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

Great pictures.

I think that's Bob Stanford Tuck in the 19th row from the top and there's another one which looks like Brian Lane climbing from a Hurricane but I think he flew Spitfires in 1940 so I'm probably wrong

John

• Like 1

Ah, Manston. Thanks for that.

I thought I saw Tuck there but wasn't

totally sure.

Yes, they are great pictures though.

Anyone else notice the slightly wobbly

black/white demarcation on the Hurricane nose?

Found this link on hyperscale.

Thank you for sharing the link here Pete.

Full of detail, I especially love the images of the Blenheim. Something about Blenheim aesthetics that have always been a magnet to my eyes, especially the Mk. 1.

Well the Spitfires are clearly 65 squadron and some searching reveals the Hurricanes as 253 squadron. Both squadrons are linked to Manston in early 1940 so I would put that out as a suggestion for the location. Edit: The Blenheims are 604 squadron and there's a photo of John Cunningham. So Manston it is. All three squadrons were there prior to the battle of France. There's also a couple of photos of Bob Stanford Tuck among the faces.

Other than that the photos are superb.

604 moved to Manston 15th May 40. One of the picture captions (A Hurricane) reports the aircraft lost in early June 40 so that gives the Time scale as photos taken in the second half of May / first half June 40.

Further to this is John Cunningham in the photo set. He arrived with 604 on the 15th May but was detached to the AFDU on the 17th May so possibly putting the pictures as being taken between the 15th and 17th May! (Thats during the Battle of France)

Interestingly the Bowsers are camoflaged, I always understood that UK based RAF vehicles were camoflaged post Dunkirk?

Selwyn

• Like 1

Have you noticed other albums? - the one called "Singapour & Malaysia" shows Blenheims (of 27 Squadron - very interesting - with fin flash and second serial on rudder!) , Buffalos (huge set), Hudsons, Wirraway and Boeing 314...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1720693034843352.1073742296.1634742540105069&type=3

Thanks for sharing!

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?138089-Unknown-RAF-base-1940-amazing-photos

You might like to follow this link for other comments, the "Definitely Northolt" and the other links, especially if you like early Halifaxes being loaded with bombs...

Not definitely Northolt 65 squadron were based in in Hornchurch and deployed to Manston daily. 604 and 253 were at Manston at the same time. It doesn't take much googling to put all three together in Manston in May. If we knew the dates they were taken. That would nail it. Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

Quite a few of Stanford Tuck. I met him on a train in December 1970.