As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
GazB

1/72 Bandai BTL-A4 'Y-Wing' - Complete

All done! My first completed model in several years, and the first I've ever weathered up! :D

Took nearly three months of restocking paints and whatnot, but I think it turned out quite nicely :) Did my best to match the griminess of the movie model :D

1_by_moab23-d9tnrjp.jpg

2_by_moab23-d9tnrme.jpg

3_by_moab23-d9tnrnl.jpg

4_by_moab23-d9tnrsh.jpg

5_by_moab23-d9tnruq.jpg

6_by_moab23-d9tnrw6.jpg

7_by_moab23-d9tnrxe.jpg

8_by_moab23-d9tnryh.jpg

Gaz.

Edited by GazB

That's a fantastic looking Y-Wing. If it's the first model you've weathered, then you've certainly hit the ground running. Excellent work

Andy

Edited by AndyRM101

That's a fantastic looking Y-Wing. If it's the first model you've weathered, then you've certainly hit the ground running. Excellent work

Andy

Wow, high praise indeed!

Thanks, Andy! :D

A little too dirty for my taste, but I can't complain about the model. :)

Heh :D

Thanks, Housesparrow!

Fantastic weathering! You captured the look exactly.

Thank you, Jake! :D

Good work for a first go at weathering. It sure looks like one that's been around since the Clone Wars and has got a real battering!

Good work for a first go at weathering. It sure looks like one that's been around since the Clone Wars and has got a real battering!

Hehe! Thanks, fernwood! ;)

Looks fantastic! Love me some Y-Wing!!!

Thank you very much! :D

hey- that's 3 months worth of good work - I love the old Y Wings and your kit looks the part - top marks

hey- that's 3 months worth of good work - I love the old Y Wings and your kit looks the part - top marks

Thank you! Was always one of my favourites as well :D

This turned out great! Excellent finish on this, one to be proud of :)

Thanks, Hunter! I kept delaying it a bit because I was terrified I was going to get the dreaded frosting when I applied the Matt finish. Luckily, doing it in a warm room seems to have kept that at bay :)

Cool, congrats on a really battered Y-wing, which means the pilot must be good or hed have been blown to bits a long time ago!

Whats the dreaded frosting? youve got me worried now haha!

Cool, congrats on a really battered Y-wing, which means the pilot must be good or hed have been blown to bits a long time ago!

Whats the dreaded frosting? youve got me worried now haha!

Thanks, Bob! :D

I believe its a nightmare scenario that can occur with varnishes, somehow tied into moisture and temperature (I think). If its too cold or humid it can have an effect on it. I sprayed mine in a warm room (back door was cracked open a bit), with a bit of warming up in water followed by a good shake of the can. I then sprayed from about 30cm away, doing my best to keep it light. Once I was done, I plonked the model down near (but not too near!) a radiator to let it dry off, and then repeated the previous steps :) Seems to have worked on all occasions I've used it so far (did the base separately a few weeks earlier as a test).

Looks great Gaz, this model is next on my list. I can't believe how much they have jumped in price since the movie came out! I love Y-Wings and this one looks like it's had it's fair share of scrapes with the empire. Fantastic job!.

Looks great Gaz, this model is next on my list. I can't believe how much they have jumped in price since the movie came out! I love Y-Wings and this one looks like it's had it's fair share of scrapes with the empire. Fantastic job!.

Thanks, Tommy! :D

I've noticed a few of the Bandai kits have really gone up in price since Christmas, too. My Y-wing only cost me like, £17 at the time. When I last checked it was nearly £25! :o