1/144 BAe 146, 32 (the Royal) Squadron

I finally decided on a build for this GB.

By chance in fact, I was scouring the stash for another kit and found a bagged Revell BAe 146 and remembered a decal sheet I got from MODeller for 32SQN. It will fit nicely into my VIP aircraft theme.

I have a couple of these kits but never attempted one. I will add pictures when I find the decal sheet.

• Like 1

What a great choice Ray. Brings back happy memories of many flights on Jersey European (et.al.) 146s. Not sure they were VIP though :winkgrin:

Cliff

• Like 1

I did a bit on Queens,as a contractor not staff. Can't wait for this. BTW dont forget the two (anti missile) reflectors

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

I did a bit on Queens,as a contractor not staff. Can't wait for this. BTW dont forget the two (anti missile) reflectors

Looking forward to starting it, I have some instructions on how to scratch build the 'reflectors' so all is good there.

• Like 1

Great choice Ray, this was my last aircraft project when I worked at the Chadderton site - Rear Cabin, Vestibule Drum and Tail Fuselage, so the section 6 windows forwards of the rear door back to the Airbrakes . A change in role then saw me move across to monitoring the site headcount and the balancing of departmental skills to workload - yawn, not half as much fun.

• Like 2

I plan to make a 146 in a similar scheme at some stage. Could I ask for details of the anti radar reflectors please?

Thanks,

John

Good one Ray

One thing is I thought they were 146-100's, am I wrong or are you going to cut it down, or were there some 146-200's?

I have the IPMS sheet that Jennings did way back at the start of the Century, and that's for -100

I can probably sort you a -100 if you don't have one or two :coolio:

• Like 1

Cheers Graeme,

I have the Jennings instructions for the cut and shut to go with the Air Decal Sheet above. Not sure of the difference between the CC1 and CC2 on the sheet. Will have to do some research.

BTW I PM'ed you about some of you kits over at ACAM.

• 1 month later...

So I started on it last night, boy the parts are small. I thought I was used to working with 1/144 aircraft

Nose Wheel well, (the plastic has miraculously changed colour! :D)

144_Rev_146_CC2_03_zps2cpomefk.jpg

Main well started

144_Rev_146_CC2_04_zpsvaqldnzj.jpg

Engines

144_Rev_146_CC2_05_zpslzdqt2vp.jpg

and engines with a 1/144 B777 RR Trent engine for size comparison.

144_Rev_146_CC2_06_zps1tzwcax9.jpg

• Like 2

Some progress for tonight.

I have filled the cabin windows with superglue and am waiting for it to set (I will leave it a couple of days I think).

144_Rev_146_CC2_07_zpsmcpjqlop.jpg

So I turned my attention to the counter measures pods.

144_Rev_146_CC2_08_zpsb9bes9qg.jpg

I started to make the first pod to the dimensions on the Liveries Unlimited decal instruction sheet but found the shape to be too basic compared to the actual items. I chopped up an AIM7 missile as it was close to the diameter I needed.

So I used this picture as my main reference, since over the years the shape of the pods and sensor heads have changes so much. I suppose this means I will have to do the later scheme then.

After fettling the missile and adding some bits of styrene rod and stock I ended up with these:

144_Rev_146_CC2_10_zpsf5swkxhf.jpg

Yes, those are mm and the length of each pod is about 10mm.

Still some reshaping to do once the glue sets and then I can paint them and set them aside until the model is close to finished.

• Like 3