Spitfire PR Mk. XIX update Finished ### 15-4-2016 ###

Hi guys I will try to build the 1/48 Airfix Spitfire PR Mk.XIX.
I will build it OOB with only some PE seatbelts and some aftermarket decals for a Swedish Spitfire.

Pictures will follow later.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 3

And I just found out that the aftermarket decals are cr*p. :boom: So I will use the Airfix decals then.

Luckely they were only two quid.

Cheers,

And I just found out that the aftermarket decals are cr*p. :boom: So I will use the Airfix decals then.

Luckely they were only two quid.

Cheers,

Hate when these things happen, had a similar problem recenly and it was very annoying...

Fortunately the latest Airfix decals seem to be pretty good (should be as Cartograf print them)

• Like 1

OK guys here are the pictures of the box content. It will take some time before I start. I still need to finish a P-47 and a Halifax.

The model will be build OOB with only some etch seatbelts. The seatbelds are from MDC and are of the late Q type.

I will build it as a Swedish PR.

IMG_2889_zps5rvtqclh.jpg

IMG_2890_zpszjfeqrvs.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see the box opened up for this one Arnold. Next step is opening the bag ;)

Well Col. I opened the plastic. :winkgrin: I will start this one when I finish my Halifax and Thunderbolt. So hopefully the end of the week.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Already a month ago sins my last post. :fraidnot:

I did do some work on the model about a week ago. took some pictures, but didn't have the time jet to put them online. :banghead:

I hope to do that one of these days. Sorry for that. :weep:

The cockpit was made and painted, only needs some detail painting before the fuselage can be closed.

I will try to do some more work on it next week when I have the late shift at work.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

OK as promised the pictures.

The first one is the cover of the engine/exhaust where you can see a seam that needs to be removed from both fuselage halves.

This was quickly done by using a hobby knife and some sanding sticks.

IMG_2967_zpspourdheu.jpg

And here are some pictures of the interior without any paint.

IMG_2968_zpsdhitxsxb.jpg

IMG_2971_zpsovnjmbbg.jpg

and the seat with some etch seatbelts

IMG_2969_zps2sb7d85s.jpg

And the fuselage closed for some test fitting.

IMG_2970_zpsbnhvlce8.jpg

It is already painted, but no pictures jet. Will do them when the cockpit is all detail painted.

The interior was first painted black and the cockpit itself was painted interior green. I left the camera bay black, because when it is closed not much can be seen of it.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 6

I like the camera bay shame its going to be coverd up. Are there any inspection hatches that could be opend ?

Thanxs.

The inspection hatches are in the kit. So you can decide for yourself if you want to put them open or clossed.

I have decided for this build to close everything up to let those sleek lines of the spitfire to be seen.

Cheers,

And here are some pictures after painting.

IMG_2972_zpse2fb6ofo.jpg

IMG_2974_zpsffkpuhhf.jpg

IMG_2976_zpsnbrqnpor.jpg

And here is the fuselage put together. I also put the wing together, but forgot to take a picture.

IMG_2977_zpshn5jnpxh.jpg

I have got a club meeting tonight and hope to do some work on the seams. When these are done I can mate the fuselage to the wing and before you know it it will be time to paint. I hope to start painting the model next week.

Cheers,

• Like 3

Well I have put all the parts together and it's nearly at the stage of painting. I still need to mask and then glue the canopie/windshield on.

After that she will be ready for some paint. :thumbsup:

Hope to put up some pictures tomorrow.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Thanxs Col.

Here are some pictures of what has been done the last few days.

The pictures of the work done yesterday.

IMG_2991_zpsgiocgcld.jpg

IMG_2989_zps764pwksu.jpg

IMG_2990_zps3prukabx.jpg

As you can see in the last picture I needed a piece of plastic card to fill a seam. That was the only trouble I had with the kit sofar.

Here are two pictures from today, after putting on the PRU Blue from Xtracrilics. I thought I would have a fight with the paint, but this went on quite easely.

O, I managed to lose two of the glasses for the cameras when masking it with some tape. They just popped in. :weep:

Will see if I can make some new ones and fit them from the outside. I was already afraid that this would happen. :banghead:

IMG_2992_zpshtsjuqsz.jpg

IMG_2994_zpsoqz4ksb4.jpg

That is it for today. I hope to put on the decals tomorrow.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 2

Now looking like a Spitfire, shame about the camera ports. On my PR 1G I have used the parts from a Quickboost conversion and made them a tight push fit and will put them in after painting, or at least that's the plan. We shall see.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

PRU Blue :wub:

You look to have achieved a solid and smooth paint finish there but a pity the camera windows decided to bail out (or in as the case may be). Good luck getting them replaced.

• Like 1

Thanxs guys.

I have also put on the decals today. This evening I will give it a coat of Klear, so I can put in some panel lines tomorrow.

I will try to put up some pictures tomorrow.

Good to see the model is almost completed. Sorry about the camera windows, these things are very annoying. Cutting new ones from acetate or clear plasticard should sort the problem though

That was my plan as well. I have a few punches in my toolbox and will see if I have the good size for it.

But this will be done after everything is done.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Panel lines done, just need a coat of dull clear paint. Tomorrow I will finish the model.

I will post tomorrow some pictures.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

She is finished after doing the last things today.

Here are two pictures of the model after putting on the decals, but before the panel lines.

IMG_2995_zpscz2rx7kg.jpg

IMG_2996_zpswrbjzhv5.jpg

And here are some pictures after finishing the model. The rest will go in the gallery.

IMG_3001_zpsndrw7jvn.jpg

IMG_2999_zpspao3mtbh.jpg

IMG_3004_zpsz0juzsju.jpg

IMG_3005_zps9nxep4kd.jpg

I enjoyed this model very much. I had a few hitches, but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

Cheers,

• Like 5