AlcadII Microfiller Grey Primer drying up

JamesP

I pulled out my bottle of Alcad II Microfiller Grey Primer after not using for a year ( very low build rate due to have young child ). It should have been 3/4 full but was had dried out to a 1/4 full bottle of stodge. The top was screwed tightly on, I've got plenty of other volatiles (including Alclad II metal lacquers) that hadn't evaporated. Anyone else had similar issues?

I have had the same problem, just add some cellulose thinners, give it a real good stir and you should get it working again.

I would say it has to be either that the bottle itself does 'breathe' or the seal of bottle lid is defective. I notice looking at my primer bottles that there is no separate seal in the lid, just the design of the lid itself. Might be an idea to tape up the lid if the bottle is to be left alone for any length of time and make sure that the rim of the bottle is clean to get as good a seal as possible with the lid.

Cheers, thankfully my cellulose thinners haven't evaporated. My wife (a chemist) suggested that the plastic bottle itself could be porous to the carrier medium.

Ha !, I never thought of that, The primer used to come in screw top tins, but I just took delivery of some new at the weekend and that came in a plastic bottle.Because I use a siphon fed airbrush just for priming I decant what I need into a zero paints screw top jar which are very good because they have a separate airtight plastic cap as well as the screw top lid..

i doubt whether the plastic bottles Alclad use would react to cellulose thinners , the cheap stuff I buy from the DIY store is bottled in plastic. However to be on the safe side I am sure your wife could find you a glass bottle.

if you are storing the primer for any length of time then its a good idea to put some cling film around the mouth before screwing the top back on.

if you are storing the primer for any length of time then its a good idea to put some cling film around the mouth before screwing the top back on.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I hadn't intended not to be modelling for that long it just turned out that way.