1/72 Last Exile, Vanship by Hasegawa

Since I bought a load of new parts for the very annoying Neo airbrush I thought I would give it one more chance to redeem its self, so I have re-started my Vanship build. This really is a very nice kit and I have been working on the wiring and drilling for the LED`s for ages now, so though I would try some paint in a plan to motivate myself into getting it finished.

I should say the LED`s are pre made buy the lovely people at smallscalelights.

Work I have completed so for , I have hand painted the cockpit and added some seat belts, drilled out all the holes for the lights and wires and made a start on the pilots.

These are the parts from last nights efforts, I pre-shaded with black then I went over with gun metal in versus levels to give it some interest and in a moment of madness I then added some clear smoke to the forwards section and more around the vents and then added clear yellow over the round ball parts. I had no idea if this would work but I`m very happy with the results, especially the clear yellow.

20160229_061919_zps802txen1.jpg

Sorry about the seam lines I did a crap job with them. Added a bit of AK true metal on the turbines inside the engine parts.

20160229_061949_zpsk1zcc4wj.jpg

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 2

Nice going. The paint looks real nice on the Claudia drive. And I had trouble with those seems lime too...

Claudia drive, I had forgotten what they called them, thanks.

Fitted all the LED`s last night, so going for a sub build tonight. I`m still undecided on colour, red or aluminium?

20160301_055401_zpsx1tyvkou.jpg

Ok so i have had a bit of a nightmare with the red clear. First 2 light coats whent down ok but i went for a third in an attempt to get a deeper red and its all gone orange peal like. I thought i could live with it so i glued to kit together. Then this morning i have decided i can not even look at it in this state, so even if a make a mess of trying to clean it up it will be better than it is now.

So i have cut some the paint back with tcut and then clean with alcohol wipes. Its looks like quite a nice weathered kit at the moment but im going to have a go at masking it all and give it 2 more coats of clear red.

Wish me luck.

20160305_115057_zpsbwdab0jt.jpg

• Like 1

Good luck. Both my builds of this died with the red coat. Orange peel galore!

Though if it's not to late, one of the things I did was to open the port holes on the sides. It creates a nice effect and you can use Micro Kristol Clear or some equivalent for glass.

Good luck. Both my builds of this died with the red coat. Orange peel galore!

Though if it's not to late, one of the things I did was to open the port holes on the sides. It creates a nice effect and you can use Micro Kristol Clear or some equivalent for glass.

I like the open port idea i will try that on the next one i build, after this one goes in the part bin......

I think the orange peal is down to me not thinning the clear red enough and spraying at a higher psi than i normally do. For some reason my brush is now spraying of center unless i spray at 22-25 psi with a brand new nozzle and needed fitted.

I have spent most of mother's day (yes im in the mother of my 2 childrens bad books) buffing, cutting, sanding, painting more sanding and re painting my first crap paint job, so im now finished my second paint job there are a few ruff patches and marks but if this kit really wants to be weathered kit then i will roll with it. It looks a lot better what ever else i do with it. Few!

Thanks all much appreciated. I'm really happy with the red as well and glad you all like it.

There's still time for some more drama as i need to gloss it now before decals and i had intended to paint in the bigger decals (white wheel arches and whitw strip) but i may have chickend out. I also need to do some weathering as well but im not sure how to go about that yet.

Thanks for all the nice comments about the red, but after looking at it for a few days I decided that the finish was still very ruff and the overall look was not right and the colour was a bit to much for this model. So I have given it a much more warn and weathered look, I've not really attempted weathering on this scale before and there is still a few more washes and muddy to add but its starting to come together.

its a terrible photos as well.

This one was just as I started on the brown wash.

20160310_232728_zpshhze68v6.jpg

20160310_232814_zpsubmsp1nv.jpg

• Like 5