After decades, rewatched all 48 Space 1999 episodes.

aerofan

Following my viewing of Gerry anderson's UFO and Thunderbirds it was only fitting to see Space 1999. I haven't watched this since I was a small child. It was really nice to see it again and to now fully appreciate the story of each episode - was too young to understand it the first time. The scenes of the Eagles reminded me of how I was so facinated by it's design when I was a wee lad.

I still remembered how I was about to buy the 12 inch Eagle transporter model but only to be dissuaded by my brother, my model building assistant, on the basis that it was just a shell with no interior cockpit. The Dinky diecast was a bit too expensive and just out of the range of my meager avaliable savings - Dad would make sure most of my money went into the bank.

Rewatching the series was really fun. Seeing the so 70's equipment, furniture, wardrobe and shoes. Good thing I watched the boxset because the bonus features gave light to many questions like the signifance of the colour of the sleeves and finding out that everytime the Eagle makes a vertical takeoff the gas shooting out the the nozzles was freon. I found this very ironic because the show had a seriousness about stopping / reducing pollution in our environment. Brian Johnson even made light of this irony in his bonus featurette. The bonus segments were very informative on the production of the series and the commentary of Christopher Penfold and Johnny Byrne in the Dragon's Domain episode was very informative even the part of how Johnny fancied a certain female Alphan that even surprised Chris. The commentary of Sylvia Anderson in the Testament of Arkadia episode was also informative in giving light to how the main leads were selected and how she wanted to play the commander and to why that actor was dropped.

The short fan flim "Message from Moonbase Alpha" is nice but I wished that they could have also included "The Return of Victor Bergman" .

• Like 1

Martin Landau and that foxy chick who could turn into creatures. You what she was going to change into when you saw it in her eye. An often overlooked Sci Fi series.

You must be referring to Maya (Catherine Schell). In the Beta Cloud episode she couldn't change into a Cloud creature because it was a robot; this creature was played by David Prowse before he became famous for Darth Vader. However in later episodes she was able to take the Cloud creature form.

Another thing I saw in the bonus featurette was a tv commercial for Lyons Maid ice lolly with Space 1999 trading cards. I never seen it before but I found it very 70's trippy.

Edited by aerofan