4 inch Mark IX Breech loading gun on CP Mark I mounting

Whilst I'm messing around with the workshop upgrades I thought I'd carry out a feasibility study on scratch building in 1/144 for what I hope is an upcoming model

Started with the barrel 5 diameters of brass tube soldered together, bit of car filler voila

Underside with recoil cylinder fitted

Work started on the base plate

Quick tip for cutting bolts etc to same length
Drill a hole slightly bigger in a piece of scrap, slip over the rod and slide scalpel across simples

Thanks for looking

Kev
Edited by longshanks
  • Like 5

Been making progress on the gun shield

Hopefully the pics are self explanatory. Feel free with your questions or critique

Thanks for looking in

Kev
Edited by longshanks
  • Like 5

Cheers Guys

Vosper bolts rather bigger at 1/35 :analintruder:

Smallest hex punch I have is 0.7mm, above are 0.4 diameter

Kev

Yes, think I could manage it with the smallest diameter punch at a pinch though. This is the main gun from a corvette isn't it? I fitted one on my 1/72nd Corvette with the GLS flare launcher rack on the sides, I'll see if I can find it. Great job you are doing as usual Kev.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys

Well spotted Julian! I wondered how long it would take to be recognized. Always interested in seeing your builds mate.

I've long had a desire to build a Corvette but the 1/72 Matchbox/Revell kit leaves a lot to be desired in my book. The 'Great Little Ships' etch is great but would stretch my modelling budget. Space is also a consideration.

The announcement of the forthcoming Revell 1/144 Corvette lit the flame. So I thought I would have a play and see what I could do to enhance the kit. Hopefully my attempts will be an improvement on the kit part. :hmmm:

Hi Frank, hope to see the Victory underway soon. I'm missing your posts.

Scratch building certainly floats my boat if you'll pardon the pun.

As you say there is quite a bit in the way of books, plans and pics available.

Kev

• Like 3

I only bought a few of the GLS sets to accentuate some of the more "juicy" details. Warren has gone mad and is replacing just about everything plastic with brass PE. It's a very good looking build though, a big improvement on an OOB build.

• Like 1

Progress on the gun...............

Added spring case, breech & lever plus elevating arc

Also rebuilt gun shield having the sides made from 0.2mm card proved to thin as the shield is only supported above and to the front.
So re built in 0.3mm card and glued all the reinforcing bars whilst the card was clamped to a flat surface

Result

Strap across the sight ports left at this time for support

Thanks for looking in

Kev
Edited by longshanks
  • Like 6

I have dug the "Snowberry" out of the "place where my flops go to die" AKA the "Shelf of shame/doom". Not wanting to hijack your thread thought I would check with you first if it's ok to post a few pic's of the artillery piece you are building here :coolio:

• Like 2

Thanks Kev, ok, here from the temple of doom some snaps of my "state of the art" in 2006:

P3050436.jpg

P3050437.jpg

P3050438.jpg

P3050440.jpg

P3050445.jpg

P3050449.jpg

P3050451.jpg

Looking at this 10 year old relic really made me cringe. The photos of the main gun are quite interesting though, showing clearly the rocket flare launchers fitted to the sides of the gun shield. There are two lockers containing rockets on the port side of the band stand. The Hedgehog is quite nicely done considering the combat that took place with super glue and photo etch 10 years ago.

Okido, thanks for the time and space Kev, back to your build :winkgrin:

• Like 4

:hmmm: What can one say...................

Well,...............................I thought it was pretty dreadful and certainly not as I would build it now :winkgrin: The rocket flair mounts are easy to transfer to your 1/144 build though.

My 1/72 Matchbox/Revell corvette will be binned shortly :yahoo:

Proves one thing Julian

You haven't wasted the last 10 years, in fact I would say they have been well spent. You would never be satisfied with that today and that to me is the basis of modelling. Anyone can churn out a kit in a weekend but ..........

Have you learnt anything? Have you learned a new skill? Have you developed an existing skill? I could go on.........

Another question, was the after market available in such profusion? I don't know I wasn't doing plast

There is little wrong with your corvette, many would be rightly pleased to produce it. Time moves on and your skills certainly have :thumbsup:

Interesting to see the rocket launchers. Going to be a challenge Bu**er to produce in 1/144. Never seen / noticed the ready use lockers, obvious when you think about

As a point of interest here is the original OOB

Thanks for posting Julian

Cheers Kev
Edited by longshanks
  • Like 3

Working on barrel........

Needed to make a curved piece for sights so I thought I'd try and laminate it

Made a jig and

Using 3 x 0.1mm card I came up with this.
with the addition of a bit of Gizmology I came up with this

Happy days

Thanks for stopping by

Kev
Edited by longshanks
  • Like 8