F-15D From Revell F-15E (1/48)

modelling minion

Hi guys,

Like the title says I am thinking of building an F-15D (probably an aggressor) and was wondering if I could use the excellent Revell F-15E as a starting point. If so is it as simple as leaving off the FAST packs and relevant aerials and adding those relevant to an F-15D. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Craig.

The biggest difference is the cockpit, the E has an entirely different layout to the D with multiple MFD's both front and rear. Yes, the FAST packs will also have to be deleted and there are several other detail items such as antenna etc.

There is a wealth of info at the following link- http://www.f-15e.info/joomla/en/home

-Dazza

• Like 1

The FAST packs COULD stay on the F-15D, although I'm not sure if units other than 57th FIS used them on a regular basis.

The FAST packs on the C/D have different weapons mounting points and pylons to those on the E, so no, the can't stay...

-Dazza

• Like 1

The FAST packs on the C/D have different weapons mounting points and pylons to those on the E, so no, the can't stay...

-Dazza

Good point, the difference between the types of FAST packs was completely forgotten. I can only plead "brain fade..."

The FAST Pack (Originally Fuel And Sensor Tactical)is a fuel tank that attaches to the sides of the intakes on the F-15. More commonly called "Conformal Fuel Tanks" these days. They look like a fairing on this shot, the FAST Pack on this aircraft has the 57th FIS unit ID on its side.

158.jpg

• Like 1

Once again the forum won't allow me to edit my post.

You can see the (at the time) AIM-7 Sparrow AAM mounts on the lower outside corner of this starboard side unit.

• Like 1

I'm surprised to hear the speedbrakes are different in size. I could swear I've seen pictures of an E with a C/D speedbrake, so I thought they were interchangeable...?

Sorry, poorly worded. The shape rather than size. The Hasegawa C/D misses the ridge lines and spine that run through the air brake almost completely. The Revell does much better but the ridge line could benefit from a little help.

Edited by Marcus.Q1000859
  • Like 1

OK, so that would give me an F-15D with sparrow-mounts of the FAST packs out of the box ......... can I simply fit those FAST packs to a Hasegawa F-15C kit to get my 57th FIS single-seater ?

Yes, the main fuselage sprues are the same.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

I have a Hasegawa F-15C, but managed to get hold of the Conformal fuel tanks from an other member here on BM. It should be easy to do the 57th FIS out of that?

Want to do a "Icelandic" Eagle as my dad was stationed at NAS Keflavik for 7 years. Norwegian NATO officer.

Cheers

Ørjan

I've got my 57th FIS decals from ASTRA (sheet 48-05), together with a Hasegawa F-15C kit (or three).

On Scalemates, I can see Hasegawa F-15E releases from 1986/7 onwards - which 'update' rendered the kit unsuitable for use as a F-15B/D ?

How early an F-15E kit do I need to source to have the old-style FAST packs in the box ?

Would my Academy F-15E be of use as a FAST Pack donor ?

Really quite keen now............ :-)

Unfortunately Astra are sold out of the 57th FIS decals in 1/48.

Not sure which boxing of the F-15E we would need but I imagine the earlier the better. I don't think the FAST packs in your Academy F-15E would be of any use as Academy got their parts correct for an E unlike Hasegawa.