Meng Mk.A Whippet

Mk.A Whippet

Meng 1/35

This is Meng's version of the Whippet, built last December. I finished it as Sphinx, a White Army Whippet from the Russian civil war. The markings for this one are included on the kits decal sheet, but not mentioned in the instructions.

It's a nice kit, probably slightly better (and much cheaper) than the Takom alternative, although the tracks are much more fragile than Takom's.

24969763139_5c3c6f0447_b.jpg

24710658743_fcc8ec1c50_b.jpg

24969746599_8ecd193e6b_b.jpg

24969736519_523e4ef68b_b.jpg

24710628403_9336cb31af_b.jpg

25041775260_66377dcbdc_b.jpg

24710605813_26b5549def_b.jpg

24706732974_fc6d98ff3c_b.jpg

24969681579_ea038d7d67_b.jpg

25244250951_d6c5515884_b.jpg

24706706074_23713faf04_b.jpg

24969655039_2d601781f3_b.jpg

And a shot with its brother from Takom

25244207701_6d9cbe538c_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Love the dirt/mud, very realistic that. The whole build is extremely well done, and a very polished presentation.

Just a note for people that get discouraged, keep in mind you are viewinga lot more than just modelling skills here, there is also excellent photography and post photo/software work to consider.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone

Oh man. you've done it again, I'm throwing my whippet in the bin now.

Joking aside, you have done another outstanding job and something for me to aspire to reach in my own modelling skills.

:goodjob:

Thanks mate, but yours is one of the best I've seen. There's probably very little difference between mine and yours in reality. As Jack mentioned above, a good photo goes a long way in showing a model in a good light.

Really lovely work, you can't beat rivets.

Have you come to a conclusion on the better kit?

Dave

Thanks Dave. They both have their good points, but if I buy another it will be the Meng. As good as the Takom one is, I can't justify paying nearly twice the price for it.

In general, the differences are:

Tracks - They both look the same when assembled, but Takom's are far more robust during handling and painting.

Construction - Both similar. Meng use fewer parts for the hull, which makes aligning everything easier. They did make one minor mistake on the tooling. The hole for the radiator filler cap on the bonnet is only half moulded and needs opening up. I didn't do it on this one as it was a review piece and was built OOB (and also because I forgot).

Accuracy - Apart from the above issue, they're both pretty much correct.

Details - Again, both are good, but the Meng one has the on board tools. Takom only has empty clasps.

Markings - Probably better choices on the Meng decal sheet, but for some reason they only show two of them in the guide, so you'll need to do a little research. Most of the supplied options are shown in the New Vanguard books on the Whippet and the Russian civil war.

Andy

Edited by AndyRM101
  • Like 1

Thanks Dave. They both have their good points, but if I buy another it will be the Meng. As good as the Takom one is, I can't justify paying nearly twice the price for it.

In general, the differences are:

Tracks - They both look the same when assembled, but Takom's are far more robust during handling and painting.

Construction - Both similar. Meng use fewer parts for the hull, which makes aligning everything easier. They did make one minor mistake on the tooling. The hole for the radiator filler cap on the bonnet is only half moulded and needs opening up. I didn't do it on this one as it was a review piece and was built OOB (and also because I forgot).

Accuracy - Apart from the above issue, they're both pretty much correct.

Details - Again, both are good, but the Meng one has the on board tools. Takom only has empty clasps.

Markings - Probably better choices on the Meng decal sheet, but for some reason they only show two of them in the guide, so you'll need to do a little research. Most of the supplied options are shown in the New Vanguard books on the Whippet and the Russian civil war.

Andy

Thanks for the mini review Andy, It's always useful to get a genuine modellers opinion especially one whose done such a good job with both kits.

Dave

• Like 1