Rothmans Porsche 956 in the pits ( adapted from the Tamiya 1/24 kit )

Borez

3 am ??!! Good grief, I don't think my eyes would focus on a real engine at that time these days! Doesn't look like you have any problems in that regard though, because there's some lovely neat, intricate, work going on there!

Looks lovely!

Keith

What he said!

Stunning workmanship

Roger

• Like 1

3 am ??!! Good grief, I don't think my eyes would focus on a real engine at that time these days! Doesn't look like you have any problems in that regard though, because there's some lovely neat, intricate, work going on there!

Looks lovely!

Keith

What he said!

Stunning workmanship

Roger

Wow, thanks guys, I really appreciate that. ;)

OK, the engine is pretty much on hold apart from a bit of detailing and painting I'll probably do tonight as I'm waiting for wiring and plumbing schematics and pictures for this engine to arrive from the US. I've tried working it out from on-line and walk-around pics but it's difficult to see what's really going on around the assemblies so I'll refer to some proper documentation and do as much as I can.

Here's where I'm at with it though with a test fit of the fuel injectors and air-intake:

DLVnV6O.jpg

2utkk4n.jpg

So today I've started on the bodywork with Zero Brilliant white paint. I've gone for the imster school of many light coats and it's worked out very nicely indeed, around 8 coats in the end on this as it's pretty much solid white.

Very pleased with the results so thanks imster :thumbsup:

Difficult to capture brilliant white under Led lighting with my camera phone so you'll just have to take my word for it. It looks grey here, but it's most definitely white.

br5LLme.jpg

JykwHgh.jpg

I'll mask next for the Rothmans dark blue.

My only dilemma is do I 2K clear coat it in gloss or satin? I'm leaning towards satin to make it more authentic to be honest.

And that's it for now, Happy Easter people

:)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 2

So, I'm back off tour for a couple of days so got to building

Went and picked some goodies up from the post office:

9hjrYDK.jpg

Which gave me the piping to plumb, wire and install my scratch-built bulkhead section of the car

h0j7yEG.jpg

Paint cleaned up and installed on the chassis

2C7itT2.jpg

SaBMNxD.jpg

And once that was installed I installed the pieces of my aluminium front housing, tricky this bit as I needed to prop it all up with blutack supports to get the internal angle right for the top section. I was kinda dreading this job in case it didn't fit together properly

All fits into place nicely though:

ammQTgo.jpg

ibvvrLX.jpg

And then a quick test with the front duct assembly:

939iAju.jpg

XMtwojg.jpg

I need to start work on the front frame work and then it'll be the disks, axles and detailing but it's definitely getting there.

The Rothmans blue on the bodywork is also drying after being sprayed this morning too:

fr0KcU8.jpg

Productive day all in all.

Oh and nearly forgot I've bought myself a decent Canon EOS DSLR so expect better pics from now on once it arrives in the post. Been after one for ages now, modelling is as good an excuse as any to actually buy it.

Quite excited. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for looking in. :)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 1

Lovely neat clean work - I really like the fluid bottle tops & pipework!

Keith

Thanks, that pipework was really fiddly to do, the 0.4mm pipes are quite elastic and have a tendency to want to twist straight so getting the glue to hold on anything bent was a PITA to be honest. You literally have to sit holding them until the glue starts to set. Got there in the end though. Also my gluing techniques has come on in leaps and bounds since building the Sauber C9, that car just looks messy to me now :(

Edited by Borez

Looks great!

As for the gluing the tubing, if its the MFH tubing you are using then they do not glue well at all. I usually use a 0.25mm metal wire and drill into the part that will be needing the tubing, I glue the metal wire into the drilled hole and push fit the MFH tubing on, your work will look much cleaner and then you can manipulate the tubing as much as you like without having to worry about it coming off on the glued end.

For the blue, are you using Zero Rothmans Blue?

I'm really enjoying this build, keep up the good work mate :)

Looks great!

As for the gluing the tubing, if its the MFH tubing you are using then they do not glue well at all. I usually use a 0.25mm metal wire and drill into the part that will be needing the tubing, I glue the metal wire into the drilled hole and push fit the MFH tubing on, your work will look much cleaner and then you can manipulate the tubing as much as you like without having to worry about it coming off on the glued end.

For the blue, are you using Zero Rothmans Blue?

I'm really enjoying this build, keep up the good work mate :)

Thanks for the tips on the tubing, yes it's MFH. I've already been drilling holes out to insert them but that inner wire tip makes a lot more sense. :thumbsup:

And yes I'm using the Zero Rothmans Blue. I had a bit of a disaster this morning when I unmasked as I forgot about the underside air intakes and, of course, the sprayed blue had aerodynamically shot up through them spotting the damn bodywork underneath the plastic covering.

I've had to re-mask the blue and touch up the white again today which seems to have done the job. I hope?

I need to take my time watching out for stuff like this, it's so easy to miss, it's not the first time I've done it either. I ruined one of those fixed windscreens on the Tamiya Porsche 962 doing exactly the same thing and had to buy another body shell on my first model. :mental:

• Like 1

Back to the engine today and the exhaust and turbo prep:

Basically requires some drilling and inserting brass rod pegs to hold the turbo and waste gate assemblies together

First some holes in the waste gate branch pipes and valves and some test fitting of the brass rod:

mwnHrJZ.jpg

Then the pipe is cut into small pegs to hold the bits together:

DjwpDqz.jpg

Then a test fitting of all the parts into what will eventually be the waste gate assembly:

FWyS5j9.jpg

In next weeks episode I will be splitting an atom to create a 1/10000th scale Porsce 959 dashboard screw :frantic:

And... at this point one of the wastegate branches went flying from the tweezers into the unknown and I spent 40 mins on the floor looking for the damn thing.

Also found were several photo etched parts and my missing manifold for the Sauber Mercedes C9 :wall:

Then once I was happy I dissembled and readied for priming. Also readied are the disc brake upgrades I'm using + a couple of other bits.

ewhvpXg.jpg

And the brakes:

viBYjbE.jpg

And primed:

iZLdqOe.jpg

And that where I'm at this afternoon really. Time for a cup of tea I'm thinking.

All good. :)

Thanks for looking... again.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 2

Received my new DSLR camera this morning, lovely stuff so just a couple of test shots of the engine really.

Have a macro lens coming too so I can get right in on the detail but this is with the Canon 18-55mm STM lens.

Engine first:

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

And the injector assemblies I painted and pre-plumbed last night:

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

Colours and depth are so much more vivid than that awful camera phone. :thumbsup:

Bodywork is also complete and ready for a top clear coat and then decals.

IMG_1137.jpg

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3

First look and mock up of disc brakes: ( loving this macro lens on the new camera )

These are just placed on the centre sitting on a cocktail stick, no fixing as yet so they're not properly centred.

FTR these are Porsche 917K brakes, the only upgrade kit I could find that looks similar to the 956 brakes with dual callipers. The PE on the standard Tamiya brakes looked awful. Out they went.

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

Been doing lots of painting of little bits lately ready for assembly + finishing off the body work paint ready for the first clear coat. Had to fix a couple of oversprays from masking errors but nothing major.

Talking of masking tape, my earlier ( in this WIP thread ) disasters with masking tape marking the undertray of the car was basically solved by chucking all the tape out and buying new stuff. The masking tape I chucked was proper vinyl car pin-stripping stuff too in various sizes. No idea what went wrong with it but every time I tried it on various tests it would leave gunk on the paint. So out it went and I bought some of those Tamiya sealed rolls with 100% better results.

I also had to buy some new decals too as the ones I bought from ebay were technically wrong for the Bell/Ickx No.1 car, so I ordered another set from Spot model.

I'm away touring up in the Alps for a week now though so have to leave this for a while.

I shall return. :)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3

Great build Borez dear chap.

Just read this thread and wow, some detailing you have put in mate.

Will tag along for the rest of the build.

Simon.

Thanks mate, I'm really getting into the tiny details with this one. :)

• Like 1

OK, back from a long week of touring around Europe and a 15 hour tourbus journey home yesterday so I have some time off to do some bits on the model again.

First pre-decalling 2K went on this morning. I'll leave for a good 24 hours at least now.

IMG_1952.jpg

New ( and correct ) Shunco decals also arrived in the post from SpotModel and I must say the quality is fantastic over the Ebay ones I bought.

Here's the ebay decals:

IMG_1951.jpg

Which, although very nice and perfectly usable, pale in comparison to these:

IMG_1949.jpg

But it's only when you get them in macro detail do you really start to see the quality:

Rothmans badge on original decals:

IMG_1927.jpg

Look at this beauty with the Shunko decals though, really stunning gold inlay here:

IMG_1928.jpg

Original decal numbers:

IMG_1944.jpg

Raised Shunko numbers:

IMG_1943.jpg

Night and day really.

Couple more pics, just pinpoint sharp these things.

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

Really nice stuff, just hope they're as nice to apply as they look.

Also this arrived from the US:

IMG_1956.jpg

So now I have a complete detailed spec on the 956 engine wiring and plumbing :thumbsup:

Plenty to be getting on with really, just hope I can do it all justice.

Thanks for looking :)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So this afternoons mission was to install the brakes air inlet frame and then scratch build the front frame and hook assembly from 1mm aluminium tubing.

Went a lot smoother and faster than I thought it would:

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

And then, of course, I couldn't resist dropping on the centre bodywork to see how it all looked together:

IMG_1975.jpg

Fits like a glove.

A couple more pics of the frame:

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

Considering most of this is scratch built I'm pretty damn pleased all in all :)

Next will be some work on detailing the tub and installing the front disc brakes.

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3

You have done a fine job up front Borez. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The stock kit is let down very badly in that aspect.

Keep up the great work.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, yes the stock kit really has nothing in this department under the bodywork at all. It's taken a lot of interpretation from the walk around pics I have ( especially on the angles and dimensions ) but well worth the hours put in to see it all coming together.

A long way to go yet though. ;)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 1

Installed the injector assemblies and managed to get a bit of plumbing in tonight on the engine, namely the 0.4mm injector lines to the central pressure collector.

Also in the pics is the plug to distributor wiring feeding across the block + the throttle linkage.

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

And the plugs themselves after painting looking like miniature speed cameras on sticks:

IMG_2002.jpg

Productive day all in all.

Thanks for looking. :)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 3