245 Sqd Mk.I ~ Airfix 1/48 new tool kit. **Finished**

Black Knight

I was reminded the other day that I have to put some models on show from April 1st or 2nd.

One model being the Mk.I of 245 Squadron as used by Sqd Ldr Simpson during April/May 1941.

I have decals for P3101 which I'll partly use to make W9200. It'll be painted up as post April 21st '41

The kit comes from this set:

Ready%20for%20Battle%20set%2001s_zpscclw

Bought in the Airfix sale last November just for this display.

The parts; except for the canopy, which are set aside for safety.

Simpson%20Hurricane%2001s_zpsq0yva1nd.jp

Simpson%20Hurricane%2002s_zpsopmiaoc4.jp

This goes together quite quickly despite the number and complexity of the parts.

The cockpit section, just about finished;

Simpson%20Hurricane%2003s_zpstehboygw.jp

A sample of some of the sub assemblies, nearly ready to add. I'm replacing the kit exhausts with the resin set on the front left. The seat gets PE seat belts before it goes into the cockpit. Airfix have left out the slot on the back of the seat through which the seat belts come.

Simpson%20Hurricane%2004s_zpshv5jjkab.jp

I've started cutting the gun loading panels off the starboard wing. Not so easy as it looks.

Sometimes I feel like the State Governor in Blazing Saddles.

I always get the freakin broken ones.

I had problems with the top wing halves. I had to shave the internal structure down to get the tops down to meet the lower half. The chord of the starboard top was about 0.75mm less than the lower part along the flap section area.

I got the wing unit mated to the fuselage. It was a tight fit. Everything was in its proper slot.

But when I put the front lower engine panel on there was a big step, the same with the rear fuselage fillet. The front panel was also too narrow.

I balanced them so they were level then filled in the gaps with vallejo putty.

With the main bits built up it was masked up, a coat of Halfords White plastic primer sprayed on and then Humbrol 90 Sky was sprayed on from a rattle can, then that some coats of gloss varnish. Wheel doors, carb intake, radiator unit and pitot got sprayed as well, so they just need stuck on.

So far I've not mucked up the spray painting.

Simpson%20Hurricane%2006s_zpsdpjjqomu.jp

Simpson%20Hurricane%2005s_zpslgopyld3.jp

I'll let this harden up for a couple of days then I'll mask up for the Dark Earth to be sprayed on, by rattle can or airbrush

Before all this I cut the slot out at the base of the head armour and the slot in the seat for the seat belts. PE seat belts added.

Prop, wheels, u/c legs ready to put on when required.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't up-dated this as I don't think anyone was interested.

However, in the interests of completeness:

Over the last two weeks I;

Masked it up and sprayed the Dark Earth, Humbrol 29, then the Dark Green, Humbrol 163, both from Humbrol rattle cans.

After glossing up the decals were applied. Stencils came from the kit decal sheet and squadron marking from a sheet by 'Owl'. The W9200 was made up from a sheet of numbers.

I used resin exhausts, photo-etch seat belts, added an oil collector ring, exhaust glare shields, the bead sight and a rear view mirror.

Simpson%20Hurricane%2007s_zpsbupicozy.jp

Simpson%20Hurricane%2008s_zpswtsm9shq.jp

Simpson%20Hurricane%2009s_zpsoihuo2mk.jp

Simpson%20Hurricane%2010s_zps10jxcskg.jp

And its done;

Simpson%20Hurricane%2021s_zpsigcgvnvt.jp

Simpson%20Hurricane%2014s_zpsb2z2cvte.jp

Simpson%20Hurricane%2015s_zpsrvaezl2v.jp

Simpson%20Hurricane%2016s_zpsazloidxe.jp

Simpson%20Hurricane%2020s_zpsbekwftwp.jp

Simpson%20Hurricane%2017s_zpsdhg9tslw.jp

Simpson%20Hurricane%2019s_zpsgd3obajo.jp

Simpson%20Hurricane%2018s_zpsh62lase1.jp

• Like 2

Well done it is too :goodjob:

Wow, a whole thread to yourself, know it can seem as if no-one is paying much attention to what I'm doing sometimes but this has to be a first!?! Know I've not been paying much attention to this GB due to moderating another two but feel bad I didn't comment; with two examples of the Airfix kit in my own stash it seems I can learn from your progress with the fitting issues.

• Like 1

Very nice indeed. must get mine from the stasI was surprised by the wing problems - I can't recall any hard-print reviews mentioning anything. Perhaps yours was a rogue moulding?

I had similar problems with my Hurricane from the same boxing. Took all the fun out of modelling one of my favourite types and has made me wary of buying another. . Sorry you had the same issues but the end product is lovely.