Eduard Spitfire Mk.XVI - 17 Sqn Farnborough 1950 - Finished...

This morning I have masked up and sprayed the registration codes. The Miracle Masks are really simple to use and apply. I went very overkill with the masking around the mask which I will not do next time. It just isn't required.

25915378454_61db6404ba_h.jpgIMAG0531 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

26494375316_1487c9e3a2_h.jpgIMAG0532 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Very pleased with the result so far.

26427989712_9458fbf2ea_h.jpgIMAG0533 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

26494374706_efb39a1362_h.jpgIMAG0534 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Next up a late breakfast then on with the roundels...

• Like 9

Just found the thread Mark,Superb work so far that finish is Beautifully done and the codes look superb,I looked at Eduard's Mkix in U.S. colours

before deciding on Airfix,s Vb,looking at this kit I will definitely look to tackling Eduard's offering in the future.

Next on with the roundels and tail flash.

Everything masked up to go.

25919876593_e2c9adfb20_h.jpgIMAG0535 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Firstly we have the white, one of my least favourite colours to spray as I always seem to have issues with it. I switched from Tamiya which I used last time with white and gave Vallejo a go. Yet again caused me issues and I struggled to get a constant flow rate going. I found very low pressure and restricting the flow as much as possible worked best. This minimised any issues that came about.

26430430702_a51994e2c4_h.jpgIMAG0539 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Now I have to wait for it to dry before placing the mask over the white and carrying on with the red. Not sure how long I should give it to cure properly.

Masking up the spinner I tried 3M pinstripe tape but struggled to get a straight line around the cone shape.I am trying an M5 bolt with blue tac to hold it which is something I have never done before so we will see.

25919876163_a65cfbaccd_h.jpgIMAG0536 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

• Like 5

I like the idea of the bolt ( if it works ), perhaps a washer and blue tack would work as well. I've been tempted by the idea of using masks for the markings, but I don't think I would have the patience, at this stage of a build I just want to get it finished as quickly as possible.

John

Where did you order the Miracle Masks?

They are from Mal Mayfield of Miracle Paint Masks (see post #70 of this thread) I messaged him through the Facebook page where he asked me to continue messaging via email. He requires a decent 1:1 scan of the decals or whatever you want stencils for. He was extremely helpful with my questions while maintaining constant communication as the design was being finalised and beyond. Payment via PayPal. Quick service. Quality product.

Highly recommended and a I will definitely be using his services again in the future.

I will pm you his email address if you are interested.

• Like 1

You won't have to wait long. The blue is down, masks removed and pictures taken. Now just waiting for my computer to do some stupid update. One word. Sexual.

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 1

Right guys, prepare yourselves for explicit content below. :popcorn:

A couple of minor paint bleeds to take care of but otherwise all good.

One minor issue is the masks and even a couple of bits of Tamiya tape have left a few bits of sticky residue on the paint work. I emailed Mal about this yesterday. He said he had not had this issue before and could be a reaction to the paint. Not 100% sure but once the paint has had a bit of time to dry I will go over it with some masking tape to try lift the sticky bits. They are not very visible and will disappear once a klear coat is down.

26265011530_a9b42980f2_h.jpgIMAG0550 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

26445564482_1e445ddb49_h.jpgIMAG0551 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

The spinner didn't come out too bad either. The camera just wouldn't focus on it though..

25934981213_728c7cec06_b.jpgIMAG0552 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

26265010790_69d1f27055_b.jpgIMAG0553 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Right, back to the bench.... :evil_laugh:

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 5

For the port side wing walk area I wanted a worn look but not too worn as all pictures I have of this aircraft are very clean. I masked up the area then gave it a couple of coats of work effects followed by the black. After looking at a few reference pics I chipped away. I'm not sure if I like it or not. I might come back to this bit..

26266212540_2ddca18870_h.jpgIMAG0554 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

26446757702_d0770aae47_h.jpgIMAG0555 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

• Like 6

Thanks guys

On with the prop. The prop had already been sprayed with AK black base when I sprayed the fuselage last week as I thought I would need to metallic the inner hub. After looking at reference pics this is not the case and the black carries all the way into the spinner. Firstly the tips were sprayed white (Vallejo again) which performed flawlessly for once. Then they were sprayed yellow.

Masking them up to spray the props black here is a little trick I use. Work out the distance from the tip to where you want the prop colour to start. This case 2mm. Take a strip of tamiya tape long enough to mask all the tips and place on the cutting mat. At each end mark a point on the tape (2mm) in from the edge. Then draw a line along the tape between the two points. Cut the tape with a knife into equal sections. Wrap the tape around the tip so the tip goes to the line on the tape. If you struggle to see the tip and line through the tape place your phone on the bench with the torch on staring up at you. This makes it a lot easier to see. All you need to make sure is that all your masking is 90 degrees to the prop blade. Simples. All your tips should be the same depth.

26475392511_3703bd4574_b.jpgIMAG0557 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

25936481744_779cd18d51_h.jpgIMAG0558 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

26475391771_050c84aa0f_h.jpgIMAG0559 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Now the prop just needs weathering.

• Like 5

This is looking really good Mark, I look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Stuart

Unfortunately I will be on a night shift next club night so June will be my next one. I was over your way they other day visiting SnM Stuff. I should have given you a call.

Today I have carried on with the prop which is now finished and ready to install when required.

Firstly a little tip I picked up somewhere regarding decals on prop blades. Probably more useful for the American Hamilton Standard ones but the principle is the same.

Take a small square of paper or card. Place a small hole for the prop shaft to fit through. Place you first prop decal so you are happy with its location. Mark this place on the card. Twist to the prop to the next blade and you can easily see exactly where to place it. Simples.

26557056725_7e1fc0fa9d_h.jpgIMAG0562 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Not including paint here is everything I used to weather the prop and spinner. I struggle to see where half of them have been used now its done to be fair.

26531057176_1e617e90e8_h.jpgIMAG0563 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

Unfortunately it is quite difficult to photograph.

26284177250_11e353290f_h.jpgIMAG0564 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

26284177060_39a03dc30e_h.jpgIMAG0565 by Mark Inman, on Flickr

That's all till next week when I am off work again... Happy with this weeks progress. :bye:

• Like 4