Zvezda 1/72 Ju87 R2 White H of 1/StG1 1941

Hi Folks, here is my Zvezda Ju 87 painted up as an R2 White H from 1/StG1 based in Krainici in Bulgaria during the Balkans campaign of 1941.

This is a snap together type of kit but don't let that fool you as the engineering and fit of this kit is excellent. The only detail missed that I could spot were the lack of aileron mass balances. My only concern was that the clear plastic didn't like being polished and was a bit awkward to fit together but other than that this was an enjoyable, stress-free build.

i wanted something a bit different from the kit supplied options so used some Tally Ho decals from the "Achtung Stuka!" decal sheet. This was my first time I have tried the 'Mr Paint' range of acrylic paints and I have to say that I am very impressed both with the way they sprayed and the colour match too, I will definitely be using them again and can recommend them highly.

thumb_IMG_1952_1024_zpsidggszm5-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1946_1024_zpsvcmrrkqr-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1942_1024_zpskfmj71is-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1943_1024_zpsuacz9neq-L.jpg

thumb_IMG_1954_1024_zpsrprzpkvm-L.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 34

Housesparrow, all the photos I studied of Ju87s showed that they could be anything from pristine to very faded and covered in mud during the Balkan campaign so I opted for the middle ground with a bit of weathering but not over the top. (Plus they are easier to dust if they have a bit of a sheen to them!)

I forgot to mention in the original post that I did a re-scribe of the fuselage and wings as the detail was a little soft in places.

Duncan B

• Like 1

This is a snap together type of kit but don't let that fool you as the engineering and fit of this kit is excellent. The only detail missed that I could spot were the lack of aileron mass balances.

Duncan B

Hi Duncan

that's very nice indeed. I've done all the Zvezda snap-fit so I guess I'll be getting this one..opted for the new Airfix Stuka first... gotta get the Blenheims off the bench

• Like 1

I've built a couple of the Fw190s and one of the Bf109s but the Stuka is the best of those at any rate. The detail is far better on this kit, for example, the oil cooler and air intake have mesh detail moulded on.

Duncan B

Forgot to ask over in the other place Duncan, but where did you get the Mr Paint from?

Ta

Keith

Keith, I got the paints directly from the Manufacturer's website and had no problems at all with either them or the Post Office.

Duncan B

• Like 2

On contrary to your Nardi this Stuka is in very colorful scheme - the whole yellow tail is not common indeed....

Also very nice result :)

Jerzy-Wojtek

Hi JW, yes this has a lot more colour than the Nardi. The yellow nose and tail were applied for the Balkans campaign in 1941. There are various versions of the campaign markings but more usually it was just the rudder and forward part of the engine cowls that were painted yellow so this one is very colourful. It also goes to show how confident the Luftwaffe were that they would have air superiority over the Balkans.

Duncan B

The Yugoslavs operated both the Bf 109E and the Do 17, so there was a good operational reason for the high visibility Luftwaffe markings.

Indeed there was Graham and the Luftwaffe took no time at all to sweep the Yugoslavs from the sky despite a valiant resistance from them.

Duncan B

Nice Stuka and yes the yellow make a big difference in separating it from the boring 70/71 schemed aircraft.

Mr Paint is MrHobby? is it the lacquer or alcohol based Acrylic? I'm assuming these use to be the Sangyo paints?

• Like 1

Nice Stuka and yes the yellow make a big difference in separating it from the boring 70/71 schemed aircraft.

Mr Paint is MrHobby? is it the lacquer or alcohol based Acrylic? I'm assuming these use to be the Sangyo paints?

Thanks for your comments.

No the paint is not from Gunze but from a Slovakian company called, rather confusingly, Mr Paint. They are a lacquer based acrylics and come in glass bottles pre mixed for airbrush use. Link to website here http://www.mrpaint.sk

Duncan B

• Like 1

I was going to ask same question. where did you source Mr Paint from, as I would like to try it myself.

I bought them directly from Mr Paint's own Website, http://www.mrpaint.sk . I believe there is a UK based supplier now however when I checked a few days ago they didn't have anywhere near the whole range.

Duncan B

Maybe it is just me, but I think this could use a layer of matte varnish. The satin like varnish here seem a little strong imo. :)

Looks fine to me. I think some models are just too matt and it robs them of life.

I very much like the colours and finish on this one.

Nick

• Like 2