Holy snowballs Lord Vader, an AT-ST on Hoth.

First of all, I would like to apologize to Patrick (dubster72) for calling him Richard in my video.

20160227_125348_zps5dhdy9hu.jpg

20160227_125336_zpsdmquhihn.jpg

20160224_143205_zpspfaaclow.jpg

20160224_143134_zpswbmewq1i.jpg

20160227_125417_zpsjhfoixja.jpg

20160227_125230_zpsgooaais6.jpg

20160227_125222_zpszpbikpct.jpg

Its finale time on my Bandai AT-ST on Hoth.

Starting back onto the finishing touches on the AT-ST itself, painting the second coat of the XF-80 light grey.

I started with the underneath of the head & the belly, than I black washed & using Humbrol's enamel rust wash picking out a few details here & there.

Not worrying about the stories I had read of enamel wash attacking the Bandai plastic, as I had already primered & 2 coats of the light grey to protect the plastic.

I then slowly but surely pushed the head onto the ball joint of the belly very slowly, not to do any damage to the head or belly & it eventually snapped into place.

I then did the same treatment of the 2 coats of the light grey, black wash & rust wash to the guns, eyehole lids & the legs.

Pushing the leg mounting pegs into the side of the belly very slowly, making sure not to snap the pegs & using my pressure clamps to help the push the last few mm's into place, then came the mounting of the completed AT-ST onto the base.

Putting a little glue onto the feet mounting area on the kit base & pushing the feet onto the mounting pegs, the primer had made the peg holes on the underneath of the feet a little tighter, but it was really easy & the gravity of the AT-ST held the feet into place whilst the glue dried.

Then came the snow effect, using the tip I picked off youtube about the PVA, white paint & bicarbonate of soda mixture, I couldnt get the crusty/crystalised consistency.

Asking about here on the forums, Patrick AKA dubster 72 (sorry I said Richard on the video) gave me an awesome tip.

Using hairspray & the bicarbonate of soda, I managed to get the perfect snow effect.

There was still some daylight when I got home from work, so I got my foldable table & chair and took them both outside & sprayed the hairspray onto the base & sprinkled on the bicarb.

Sprinkling the bicarb on the base, around & onto the feet & legs on the AT-ST, also a little more around the laser turret.

Left it to settle for around 10 mins or so, I lightly sprayed the hairspray onto my snow by pressing the spray cap halfway down to get a slow & consistant spray (instead of blasting the snow) & left it outside to dry for an hour or so.

Brought it back inside as the pungent smell of the cheap hairspray had gone & left it overnight to continue drying.

The tip worked a treat, so thanks to Patrick for that.

I then finished off the AT-ST with some Citadel Purity Seal, after I shook the can for a good five mins to make sure it didnt dry to the dusty effect I got on my Tornado model a couple of years back & the the purity seal dried clear with no problems.

I did go a little overboard with the rust wash & with the snow on the feet, but I still think it looks great.

Cheers,

Wayne.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/robinsongamingsupplies
Link for the Wizards of the coast minatures I bought.

Edited by Deadman Disciple
  • Like 7

very nice diorama and great video walk through

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there were scout walkers shown on Hoth

Right, but only very briefly iirc.

Nice Diorama! Where are the figures from if I may ask? From the board game?

Where are the figures from if I may ask? From the board game?

They are Wizards of the Coast miniatures from the board game/tabletop war game.

Very cheap too, they cost £2-£3 each apart from the snowtrooper with the laser turret that was £11.

The link to the ebay site is in the first post.