best 1/72 Mig-29

periklis_sale

Would be great if Zvezda released a 9.12. Where's your evidence for this?

Kotey is "Mr. Begemot Decals" and as such has business relationships with Zvezda. Just believe him, he is a trusted source.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, that is great news. Hope they don't take too long since they are not known for cranking out variants one after another.

I am currently building a Trumpeter MiG-29 for the 80's NATO/WP group build and despite some annoyances, its coming out great and not so sure that Zvezda's is really the definitive Fulcrum. I am increasingly frustrated by their choice not to include *any* rivet detail which gives the Trumpeter a clear edge in surface detail. Zvezda's decision to mold the top air intakes closed is also puzzling. Yes, they're closed when the engine is not in operation but it's one of the distinctive features of the Fulcrum and they could have at least given an option to do it open or closed.

Sadly it seems that we still do not have "the" MiG-29 in 1/72, but at least have two very very good options.

I am increasingly frustrated by their choice not to include *any* rivet detail which gives the Trumpeter a clear edge in surface detail.

I actually prefer this. On a picture of a real MiG-29 that scales out to 1/72nd, how many rivets do you see..?

I'd have to agree with you on the intake louvres, though. It could have been an insert.

Cheers,

Andre

I actually prefer this. On a picture of a real MiG-29 that scales out to 1/72nd, how many rivets do you see..?

I'd have to agree with you on the intake louvres, though. It could have been an insert.

Cheers,

Andre

Most 1/72 kits should not have rivets then, but they do. There seems now to be a divergence into extremes: Zvezda's no-rivet route vs Trumpeter/Eduard's mold-every-rivet-it-has.

Frankly I prefer the Hasegawa/Tamiya style of having rivets only where they add to the detail but are not overdone. Still, I prefer many rivets to no rivets, if they are fine enough to not be intrusive. I think Trumpeter's MiG-29 surface detail is fantastic in this regard.

• 2 years later...

Reviving this older topic, but I can’t seem to find any info on a Zvezda MiG-29 (9-12).

As it now is 2019, has their kit been released?

Looking for the best 1/72 scale standard MiG-29A and Zvezda seem to offer the better kit of this subject, but of other versions... 🤔

40 minutes ago, Anders_Isaksson said:

Reviving this older topic, but I can’t seem to find any info on a Zvezda MiG-29 (9-12).

As it now is 2019, has their kit been released?

Looking for the best 1/72 scale standard MiG-29A and Zvezda seem to offer the better kit of this subject, but of other versions... 🤔

No, still no sign of the basic fighter version from Zvezda, even though the basic mold is obviously set up to accomodate at least the 9.12 and 9.51 UB.

There have been three boxings so far: 9.13, 9.13 Swifts and 9.54 MiG-29SMT. 

For a 'vanilla' 9.12, until Zvezda releases one the Trumpeter seems the best at the moment.

Edit: caveat empor, Zvezda did release a 9.12:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/zvezda-7208-mig-29--1139279

, but the box could contain either an Italeri (not bad for its day) or (oh, the humanity!) the awful Nakotne thingy. 

Cheers,

Andre 

Edited by Hook

That's not a new mold, it's the old one.
If you wanna do MiG-29A , 9.12 take Trumpeter's.
It's nice, there are aftermarket products available for more details.
Only one thing I have to complain: opened auxiliary air doors.

For S and SMT take Zvezda, coz aux doors are closed and SMT includes correct bigger center line tank.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

Just curious, being no MiG 29 expert, externally, is there any difference between the 9-12 and 9-13 variants?

Yes. The 9-13 "fatback" has an enlarged and bulged spine, containing more fuel as compared to the 9-12, as well as a Gardenya ECM suite.

In addition, the ECM on the wing tips differ: on the 9-12 the bumps are in the middle of the tips, on the 9-13 these are enlarged /swollen and moved aft.

HTH,

Andre

• Thanks 1