Practice plastic

stoutdave

Good advice from Radleigh, Dave. I use an old kit that wasn't built to a great standard and that is used as my 'paint queen' - in my case it's a Monogram P-40B

• Like 1

Plastic household waste, bottles etc.

Edited by Stuck

Having said that I am about to embark on something slightly different, trying out some new spray enamels from the Alclad2 Mil-Spec range plus a whole load of Alclad metal finishes I have bought to try out, and I have decided that a couple of kits (cheapish) that were part-built and put away for later completion are going to be test beds for these. The kits I will be using are an old Airfix 48 scale mustang and a Hasegawa Hurricane that had an unfortunate accident.

Any large city should have a plastic supply store (any small city should, for that matter). You should be able to buy a 4' x 8' sheet of .020" high impact polystyrene (HIPS) for just a few pounds. ABS will also work, though it's slightly different from HIPS.

If you don't have a plastic supply store, try looking for places that make signs. HIPS is commonly used for signage (outdoor ads, buses, etc.). Anything to do with manufacturing would be worth a look, too - architectural model studios, plastic molding shops, etc.

And barring all of that, you can get Evergreen or Plastruct sheets from most hobby shops. You'll pay a lot more per pound, but you'll get a lot more paintable surface than an old kit. You can also get speed shapes from auto body suppliers. Or go the old plastic bottle/container route.

If it is acrylics packet of 200gr. heavy weight inkjet paper provides 250 chances.

In my spray booth I cut up into half pages a bunch mounted on

a cheap brochure stand held with a spring clip.

Great for an initial spray before the real thing.

Laurie