Jump to content

Airfix1/72 RAF BE2c


stevehed
 Share

Recommended Posts

412237947.jpg

412237946.jpg

While enjoying the quiet life after the Elephant I was prodded back to life by a devotee of the Gypsy Moth. About the same time a package arrived which contained examples of a Stability Jane and a Quirk. Intrigued I opened the box and was presented with the Airfix BE2c, their first WW1 kit, for 40 years or so. It looks great in the box and has easy to follow instructions. With an enforced lay off of between 4 to 6 weeks from modelling commencing from April 1 it has to be what the heck let’s have a go at the newby. So here’s another first for me my third entrant into a GB.

Regards, Steve

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had one of those infrequent days where I could fit plenty of modelling around the chores. Painted the wings cdl and the struts wood and while paint was drying I assembled the cockpit interiors. Fuel tank, seats, IP and struts attached and control column, it’s all there and an easy build. I had my doubts that the crew would fit but they fitted as snug as a glove. Very impressed. Painted the interiors and then joined the halves. Going to add the roundels before any more construction. This one is going to be a two seat army co-op type so I’m going to use roundels from the spares that are without the white ring. The kit options are for two night fighters. TBH I’m not sure white rings were used during 1916 on PC10 doped aircraft but I’m willing to be proved wrong. Anyways, here’s the progress to date.

412241120.jpg

412241118.jpg

412241119.jpg

Regards, Steve

PS Lay off due to Carpel Tunnel Syndrome in left wrist. Semi permanent tingling which is getting worse so we decided to sort it once and for all. Six week job I've been told but I've always been a good healer and modelling in 1/72 can't be construed as heavy lifting so hopeful of an earlier return.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're off to a flying start with this one Steve. Been thinking of adding this one to the stash so will be paying particular interest to your progress.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Guys. Have been plodding on and have the lower wing on. There are cut outs and a guide ridge to ensure there is a proper gap at the wing roots. Eliminates the guesswork. Roundels are Almark without the white ring. I've discovered there is a camera on the sprues and the Lewis gun is moulded as a rear facing weapon. The DFD must be a two seater with the Eindekker which makes life easier for me. I added magazine holders to the fuselage sides when I built the Pegasus Bee so after consulting the DF I made a couple from plastic strip and cut small circles from the sprue for the magazines. In addition the BE2c often sported extra mountings for the Lewis gun. These MK 1 fittings were attached to the front cabane struts and allowed a limited area for forward fire. These are short lengths of rod. When the paint is dry I reckon the top wing is next. I've positioned one side of the struts using the kit supplied locater and it appears to work. We'll find out for definite soon enough.

412254893.jpg

Regards, Steve

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I added magazine holders to the fuselage sides

Regards, Steve

Just had a subconscious flash of 'Home & Gardens'. Obviously natures way of telling me that I need my breakfast coffee.

Cliff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Flower pots on BE2's and curtains on Roland C11's. Shades of Oh What a Lovely War. But flowers can need a bit of shade so I've done my best to provide a little. The new Airfix guides are a help but not perfect. In fact, the most important requirement of the system is to get the cabane struts spot on and three hands would still improve matters. But the top wing is now on and straight with a start made on the rigging. The cabane wires were added before the wing and will be fully located once I've untangled them. Fun and games but it's going together ok.

412261616.jpg

412261617.jpg

412261618.jpg

Regards, Steve

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Nearly done. Engine unit required a little remedial filing along the guide lips to get a better fit. I also had to straighten the tail fin as I had somehow managed to knock it askew. Otherwise pretty much as Mr Airfix intended although I have juggled the reg numbers to make a new one. Next pictures in the Gallery.

412292268.jpg

Regards, Steve

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...