A Trio of Fouga Magisters - Red Devils, Patrouille de France, Silver Swallows

My first post in RFI.

I made 3 kits - all with out of box parts. The only extra things used were Tomcat Decals for Red Devils markings. The Red Devils and Patrouillle de France are both Heller kits, the Silver Swallows is an Airfix kit (which needs some very slight touch ups ...but I'm done with it for now). These are my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th models so they're not like pro level but I'm still pretty proud of them.

25242816625_12d035df52_z.jpg

24612161884_2cb50b990d_z.jpg

25149639081_91c66882c3_z.jpg

24875115059_93e9e892fd_z.jpg

24947182260_58e13d0301_z.jpg

25124512752_606b0fd3cd_z.jpg

25242829135_e4ec5b1b09_z.jpg

24947194300_8f35401b4d_z.jpg

25216517996_f99e97afb3_z.jpg

25124520262_9cff11ffc8_z.jpg

• Like 17

Well done on your Magisters - good efforts all of them :thumbsup2:

I'm very fond of Magisters and you've done the type justice - I need to get around to doing my AMK and Special Hobby kits when I get time (admittedly, the latter is a Zephyr but it will be built as a Magister).

Do you have a link for Tomcat Decals?

Wez

Edited by Wez

Well done on your Magisters - good efforts all of them :thumbsup2:

I'm very fond of Magisters and you've done the type justice - I need to get around to doing my AMK and Special Hobby kits when I get time (admittedly, the latter is a Zephyr but it will be built as a Magister).

Do you have a link for Tomcat Decals?

Wez

Sure. http://patrouillesacrobatiquesenmaquettes.e-monsite.com/

I actually got mine through eBay. I will say I used the Belgium roundels from the Airfix kit, white stripes from the Heller kit, and then the 50 from Tomcat, and the RD logo from Tomcats. They're a cottage industry set of decals - on white paper but they're still ace :)

Sure. http://patrouillesacrobatiquesenmaquettes.e-monsite.com/

I actually got mine through eBay. I will say I used the Belgium roundels from the Airfix kit, white stripes from the Heller kit, and then the 50 from Tomcat, and the RD logo from Tomcats. They're a cottage industry set of decals - on white paper but they're still ace :)

thanks!

Wez

Very nice Fouga Magister Trio!

Remember the Airfix kit as one of the first models I have ever built. Are the Airfix and Heller kits different or just a reboxing?

Cheers,

Mario

The originals were different kits, the Airfix was covered in rivets, the Heller wasn't and was IMO the better detailed of the two kits. Both had raised panel lines.

I don't know if the current Airfix kit is the Heller kit reboxed.

The new Special Hobby kit is a big step up from either of these two kits - time will tell how it builds up.

• Like 1

The originals were different kits, the Airfix was covered in rivets, the Heller wasn't and was IMO the better detailed of the two kits. Both had raised panel lines.

I don't know if the current Airfix kit is the Heller kit reboxed.

The new Special Hobby kit is a big step up from either of these two kits - time will tell how it builds up.

I can confirm that the Airfix and Heller kit are BOTH different and the Airfix is a new tool.

The Airfix one builds *way* easier but has less detail and doesn't give you as many options.

The Heller decals are not great. I mean they are really good quality but just fall apart really easy compared to any decals I've ever used.

Edited by Lexicon
  • Like 1

I can confirm that the Airfix and Heller kit are BOTH different and the Airfix is a new tool.

The Airfix one builds *way* easier but has less detail and doesn't give you as many options.

The Heller decals are not great. I mean they are really good quality but just fall apart really easy compared to any decals I've ever used.

Actually, the Airfix kit is well old, from the 1970's, I made it back then, the Heller kit is newer, but not by much. The Airfix kit was re-released with new decals last year.

Thank you for the description. Often Heller and Airfix boxes contain the same sprues as in case of the Skyraider for example. Have heard about the new Special Hobby.

Cheers!

Which is why I asked the question, there was a lot of cross-boxing between the two manufacturers and they had similar subjects in their ranges, it would be easy to pick up a kit in one manufacturers box only to find the other manufacturer's plastic inside.

I think it will happen less and less now as Heller is owned by a French toy giant, and Airfix is Hornby...but I love Heller as they do some interesting subjects :)

You're right about it happening less and less, I do fear for Heller as I love their kits, I would hate to see them disappear.

Anyway, as the pictures in the original post show, both manufacturers Magisters make up into lovely models.

Well done again Lexicon for your efforts!

A great looking trio of Magisters. I've always thought this an interesting and attractive aircraft. My personal favourite is the IAC one as I like workaday schemes but the aircraft certainly lends itself to colourful aerobatic schemes.

Ah, my mistake. Apparently the Airfix kit is just some new parts, not new tool. Overall, I think I'd recommend the Heller one though (plus it's nearly half the price a lot of the time).

And thank you for your kind words all. Definitely and encouragement!