1/35 Tiger I, Dragon or Tamiya?

IanF

I'm quite fancying building one of these, and after having done lots of research, I'm stuck picking between the two.

I quite like the idea of Tamiya, I know it will go together relatively easily and I can pick one up at a reasonable price. However after looking at some Dragon Tiger reviews, I'm quite liking the idea of one these more, what with the extra detail/options included.

So, I've never built a Dragon kit before, can anybody offer any insight into ease of build, fit issues etc. on their Tiger I family. I am aware that their instructions can be a little vague in places.

I'm not too worried on which version, however, I do prefer the look of the late production wheels.

I guess my worry is, I go for the cheaper and simpler Tamiya, and then end up thinking what I'm missing out on with a Dragon Tiger!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ian

I think your research is thorough, and are correct about what is available with either choice. Some say you can never have too many Tiger tanks to build, but if you believe you will build only one - then I think the determining factor could be what particular markings/finish tickles your fancy?

I have yet to build the Tunisian Tiger from Cyberhobby that was released many moons ago, but do have the old AfrikaTiger from Tamiya. Built decades ago, I don't recall any fit problems. Compared to the parts seen in the box of the former mentioned kit, the Tamiya does look a bit simplified.

regards,

Jack

Ian, I would always recommend a Dragon Tiger. The quality of the detail way exceeds anything from Tamiya, Academy etc.

Fit isn't generally an issue - not all Tamiya kits are 'shake n bake' & some Dragon kits need a little bit of fettling here and there.

Dragon instructions are well known to be vague, but careful checking & dry-fitting will overcome this.

The Tiger kits with zimmerit are excellent, the zimm is perfectly moulded & has the correct pattern on the hull and turret. Something that Italeri got wrong!

Cheers

Patrick

Guys, many thanks for your replies. This has given me so much more to work from.

Reading kit reviews is all well and good, but it's good to hear about individual build experiences etc.

Maybe I should by one from each available manufacturer!!

Edited by IanF

Where can one get aftermarket tracks for the Tiger tanks?

I prefer resin tracks from MasterClub as they are the most accurate and have the proper look to them. I only buy the pinned series. MasterClub are now releasing them in metal. LionMarc Model Designs (LMD) had a resin set but it is now out of production. Also out of Production but extremely nice (and a great value if bought as part of their detail set) were Anvil Miniatures resin tracks. They re-appeared as WW2 Productions but are gone again. Friulmodelismo makes metal tracks but they are too thick and it becomes obvious when comparing to actual photographs. Metal tracks are also available from Spade Ace and Karaya. Avoid the latter. Polystyrene tracks are available from AFV Club, ModelKasten and one more but I only have experience with the named products. The AFC Club tracks are delicate but assemble easily while the ModelKasten has you adding the teeth separately.

Reading kit reviews is all well and good, but it's good to hear about individual build experiences etc.

Well, I stated I have build Academy, AFV Club, Dragon, Idea (a poor copy of the Tamiya kit), Italeri, Rye Field Model, and Tamiya. I have also had the opportunity to use many of the aftermarket items such as barrels, tracks, detail sets, design for each of the kits. If you stated a subject tank, then we can narrow the options to something less than three. Mention a budget and we can then discuss what detail sets, if any, to use.

Regards,

So, I've never built a Dragon kit before, can anybody offer any insight into ease of build, fit issues etc. on their Tiger I family. I am aware that their instructions can be a little vague in places.

I guess my worry is, I go for the cheaper and simpler Tamiya, and then end up thinking what I'm missing out on with a Dragon Tiger!

My personal preference is for Dragon, which is what I recently bought in a 1/35 Tiger I. I specifically wanted a Normandy Jun-Aug/'44 Tiger. Pre-purchase, I did the same triage, albeit with a pre-bias for Dragon in that Tamiya would have had to offer something magical to sway my favour. They didn't, but Dragon did.

Given what you've said above, buy the Dragon or you'll end up wishing you had for the reason you state in the second sentence - unless your aftermarket 'goodies' budget is unlimited.

IMPE both Tamiya's and Dragon's new tool model moulds of this decade are superb. Methinks it'd be hard to go wrong with either. They key decider is buy the one which meets your criteria.

Tamiya are invariably good fitting and the easier build.

Newer mould Dragon fit is right up there too, and the Smart Kit is their admission the average kit buyer today doesn't kits with zillion part counts. I do miss the Magic Tracks, but Dragon's DS tracks are every bit as good as Tamiya's current continuous section.

Weighting often comes down to individual subject and/or price.

Tamiya usually come with crew figurines supplied in the box. If budget is important, and you want other than to present the model buttoned up, that's something to take into consideration as Dragon's don't.

OOTB Dragon newest slide moulded Smart Kits are hard to beat. Nothing really extra necessary to buy to effect an already superbly detailed model once dressed in its war paint. Dragon's slide moulded barrels are superb. Even if the time frame requires Zimmerit for suspension of disbelief authenticity, the new "with Zim" Smart KIt mouldings are excellent. e.g. Panther, Tiger, early-mid Brummbär.

For me, Dragon's inclusions represent the level of 'everything' I'm looking for generally without requiring what I consider an inane spend I don't want to outlay on aftermarket accessorisation generally.

Trust the above assists.

Thanks guys, some excellent suggestions and responses here.

Budget isn't what's driving my decision, I don't mind paying more for the Dragon option.

However, from past experience, if I start a build and then get bogged down in fit issues and have to start fighting the kit to get it together, it just ends up back in the box and on a shelf, never to see the light of day again. Kittyhawks 1/32 F-86D being a good example of this! I realise some will think I'm not a proper modeller because of this, but I can live with that, it's just what the hobby is to me.

Bigglesof266 many thanks for your input, that is exactly what I was looking for and more. I genuinely believe now that if I dont go for the Dragon option, I will end up wishing I had.

I think once I've scratched the Dragon Tiger itch, I will be exploring all other suggestions from here!

So, now the search begins!

Regards

Ian

Edited by IanF

Ian I'm a 'returnee'. Been at this game off and on for almost 55 years. My fit expectations weren't and probably still aren't as high as some conditioned to today's moulds which are almost basically 'take out of box, apply cement'. However, since a gradual disappointing start with a few Airfix kits several years ago which I discovered were very attractive new boxes containing 50 year old flash ridden moulds, I have since been astonished by the level of detail and precision fit of truly contemporary kits, Dragon's being among them.

I've since bought more boxes than I should have. I am constantly surprised by the level of detail and attention to minutiae in the most recent kits. Don't disregard the "new parts" assignation for mould that was tooled a decade ago either. Dragon will for instance replace the road wheels on say the Brummbär in their newest more expensive tier Smart Kits so the level of detail right down to the nut and bolt being a recessed concave or proud convex fit is correct. One notices this when researching museum examples providing hi-res images sufficient to note such detail. Compared to the older mould which you can find in a Cyber-Hobby Orange Box, you'll discover the new detailed road wheels sprue missing from that kit. A case of getting what you pay for and clever segment marketing which I am glad Dragon do. Similarly the casemates etc. New mould for early & mids with Zimmerit.

The Tiger I (6383) I have is as good a fit as the Tamiya kits I've built, if not better. Even though 6383 comes supplied with DS tracks, I like them if one must be supplied with continuous. For the Tiger and Panther with large road wheels, it's not an issue getting the sag look right with DS. I haven't tried them on a PzKpfw III or IV chassis yet where I think they'd present more of a challenge over return rollers than Magic Track. A huge plus AFAIC is Dragon Care. Support second to none. There's an excellent build thread on a current Dragon Tiger I build in this forum. Do a search.

My take is this. Know thyself. I do think one has to have more patience and persistence with Dragon kits because of their level of detail. While Dragon have reduced parts counts drastically with their Smart Kit approach, they aren't really for anyone a 5 minute attention span who wants to open a new box within a couple of days once project "I'm 'boreditis'" sets in after the initial excitement and novelty has disappeared as afflicts many. I make a point of applying a self-disciplined approach to continue with and finish any commenced project before I start another, otherwise ....well we all know where that leads don't we? :suicide:

For a Tiger I, as long as a quasi ADHD personality build approach description doesn't apply, verily I'd recommend pick your 'flavour' and go with Dragon. You'd be difficult to please if disappointed with either detail or relative fidelity.