Revell 1:24 scale Iveco Stralis Truck Cab with lights

Hi everyone :coolio:

At last I have finished a project that I started in November last year, due to the fact that I broke off to make the Revell Boxer (posted elsewhere).

As I mentioned before, I have a new airbrush kit and making this model certainly taught me a lot about going from painting by hand to using an airbrush.

The main annoyance is that I actually bought a Revell spray can for the main cab body and then ran out of it half way through, only to have to pay almost £14 to buy another one. The courier charge was more than the can but as there is not a Revell supplier near me, I had little choice. Next time I will try airbrushing the actual model body rather than using a can. Also, there were slight colour differences. Still, I learn......I learn (as Manuel would say). :banghead:

The lights were a bit of a nightmare as there was so little space to work in. I'd like to have added some more but my patience was getting very thin and thought it best to quit while I was ahead. Will anyone notice the actual tea in the cup on the dash?

Anyway, I'm taking a chance and posting the results below. I may go back to it at some point to just finish it off to what I think is a more suitable standard or to improve it with any suggestions from any replies.

Thanks for looking. I hope it will inspire others to push the boundaries a little.

More pictures and pictures of the actual build can be found HERE. There is also a video there too.

Iveco01 Iveco10 Iveco13 Iveco14 Build24

Edited by ukmodeller
Updated links
  • Like 5

Very nice. Could you elaborate on the LED's and circuitry you're using there?

Love the Tower bridge picture in the cabin there too.

Also there's no tea in that cup and your driver looks like Frankenstein?

;)

Edited by Borez
  • Like 2

Very nice. Could you elaborate on the LED's and circuitry you're using there?

Love the Tower bridge picture in the cabin there too.

Also there's no tea in that cup and your driver looks like Frankenstein?

;)

Thanks. I have added a few drawings showing how I managed to route the wiring, etc, on my Photobucket page (link at the top). I'm not so hot on electronics so just used basic circuitry on connecting all the earth wires together where possible to cut down the amount of wires I had to try to hide within the chassis body. I used Kynar wire which is very thin and all of the LEDs were 2mm (except the internal cab light which was 3mm). I used from Bright to normal LEDs. If I wanted to dim an LED down then I joined the corresponding live wires together and added one resistor. To keep a light bright I used a resistor on each live wire.

As for Frank, yep, I think I created a monster there...........In reality he actually looks Chinese.........

I did add tea to the cup but it is not so clear on the photo's. I used a cut down toothpick which turns out to be the perfect colour. I will have to try to get a better picture of it.

I don't know where the idea of the Tower Bridge picture came from but I just thought that if it was my cab I'd rather wake up to a nice picture of home than a blank cab wall. To be honest I would have a much better picture, but as this is a family site, I thought it best to tone it down..........

Lovely build. One thing though the numberplate in the uk there is no 42 reg

Rodders

Thanks, Rodders. Alas, I'm not up on number plates anymore. Last time I took any notice was when a number plate ended in S or R or something, but appreciate your comment. :thumbsup2:

Edited by ukmodeller

• 1 month later...

I have now added links to more pictures of the finished model and also pictures of the work in progress.

These can be found at the top post.

Edited by ukmodeller
Updated links
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Good evening, apologies for raising an old thread but this subject is on my next build list. 

My boss is a huge stralis fan, and I would like to make him a version of this truck for his home office desk. It's his birthday at the end of November so I have a month to get the build underway. 

Would you be able to repost the photo bucket images, or pm them to me so that I can work out how you did the working lights please? ... The indicators are genius! What are your thoughts on the kit? Is there anything to look out for? As far as I can tell there are another 3 offerings of the stralis from Italeria, research suggests that the revell kit is a reboxed italeria kit... Which leads me to ask which version of the stralis is this one? 

Thanks for any advice... 

Best regards, 

James

1 hour ago, The_Rascal said:

Good evening, apologies for raising an old thread but this subject is on my next build list. 

My boss is a huge stralis fan, and I would like to make him a version of this truck for his home office desk. It's his birthday at the end of November so I have a month to get the build underway. 

Would you be able to repost the photo bucket images, or pm them to me so that I can work out how you did the working lights please? ... The indicators are genius! What are your thoughts on the kit? Is there anything to look out for? As far as I can tell there are another 3 offerings of the stralis from Italeria, research suggests that the revell kit is a reboxed italeria kit... Which leads me to ask which version of the stralis is this one? 

Thanks for any advice... 

Best regards, 

James

Hi James. Thanks for letting me know about the missing links. I have now updated them all and they can be found on my first post at the top. 
This kit is the Revell one. I have done other Italeri truck kits and they are very similar quality wise. With the Revell kit I had no problems with flashed parts or bad fitting but, like you, I study the Internet for reviews, previous builds and content examination. From what I can remember I used 3mm LED's for the front main lights and for the side panels and rear lights I used 1.8mm LED's. The wiring that I used was Kynar wire as it is very thin and easy to route through tight places. You can get it on Ebay. 
The only other thing I remember is that I had to cut out part of the fuel tank (that goes behind one of the side panels) to fit the LED's in. I hope this information helps.

Kevin

Brilliant Kevin, thank you very much for updating your links. 

I have just been looking on the e-models site and put the italeria 40th anniversary edition in my cart... looks like it has a bit more detail in it than the standard highway one...

I'll check out your build thread and see what I need to do... I'm a plane guy at heart, but wanted to do something special for my boss as he's been good to me this year. 

Edit: - just looked through the flickr thread, the notes are amazing. Just one more question before I press the buy button on my cart... where did you put the battery and switch?

My hope is to build a mini diorama of a road section to put the truck on and hook up a container trailer to it (work reference) I'll be sure to post the progress as I build it.

Edited by The_Rascal

On 10/19/2019 at 10:28 PM, The_Rascal said:

Brilliant Kevin, thank you very much for updating your links. 

I have just been looking on the e-models site and put the italeria 40th anniversary edition in my cart... looks like it has a bit more detail in it than the standard highway one...

I'll check out your build thread and see what I need to do... I'm a plane guy at heart, but wanted to do something special for my boss as he's been good to me this year. 

Edit: - just looked through the flickr thread, the notes are amazing. Just one more question before I press the buy button on my cart... where did you put the battery and switch?

My hope is to build a mini diorama of a road section to put the truck on and hook up a container trailer to it (work reference) I'll be sure to post the progress as I build it.

Hi James, you are welcome.

Sorry for the delay but I have now updated all of my Flickr accounts and reorganised them. All of my truck pictures are now together HERE . I have now posted all of work in progress pictures with their respective models too. If you look at all my truck cabs you will see that they are very similar and it will give you more references to work from.

To work the lights I ran enough cable from the cab to a plastic enclosure box where I mounted all of the on/off switches. If you are going to make a diorama you could route the wires under the display board and mount the switches on the side perhaps? I always use 4 AA batteries and locate them in the switch box but you could use smaller batteries if needs be.  Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2019 at 6:15 PM, The_Rascal said:

I couldn't ask for more... many thanks Kevin. Kit should arrive tomorrow (I got the shipping notification this morning)... excited to get cracking 

Hi James

Did you get your kit? What do you think about adding lights? The main thing is to just take your time and look at the best ways to insert the LED's and where the wire will run. I painted everything black on the underside as this helps to hide a lot of sins (bits you have cut away, etc).

On 10/25/2019 at 12:56 PM, ukmodeller said:

Hi James

Did you get your kit? What do you think about adding lights? The main thing is to just take your time and look at the best ways to insert the LED's and where the wire will run. I painted everything black on the underside as this helps to hide a lot of sins (bits you have cut away, etc).

Hi Kevin, 

Yes, I got the kit and the container trailer to go with it. Apologies for the late reply... been building 😊

Just set myself up with a Flickr account so I can post in the work in progress section...

I'm now at the stage (17) where I need to cut holes in the wheel guards for the rear lights... just went to check your flickr and the saved link is no longer valid... have you changed the privacy on your album?

I'll post in there now.

1 hour ago, The_Rascal said:

Hi Kevin, 

Yes, I got the kit and the container trailer to go with it. Apologies for the late reply... been building 😊

Just set myself up with a Flickr account so I can post in the work in progress section...

I'm now at the stage (17) where I need to cut holes in the wheel guards for the rear lights... just went to check your flickr and the saved link is no longer valid... have you changed the privacy on your album?

I'll post in there now.

Hi James

If you click HERE it will take you to my Flickr page showing the finished cab and some diagrams of how I did things. It should work now but if you have any problems just let me know.

From that page you can also see the other truck builds that I did. I posted diagrams in most of them too. The cabs may be different but the concept for adding lights is basically the same.

Let me know what your Flickr page is as I'd like to follow it.