Housesparrow's Millennium Falcon (Fine Molds, 1:144 scale)

There tend to be too much blue'ish light in my kitchen this early in the day, but I suppressed the blue a little as a post effect on the images, and hopefully the photos should look ok. :)

Edit: Hrm, nope. Too much blueish lighting here. Have to go take some new photos.

This model was airbrushed with Vallejo Air colors (USAF Light Gray and Nato Black). I used Humbrol Clear for the gloss coats (psi should ideally be at 5-6 I think). The four layers of gloss coat is ofc "hidden" by the final layer of Vallejo Matte varnish (diluted 50/50 with thinner).

20z71ht.jpg

2rrvs4h.jpg

16bzegx.jpg

2m2vtz8.jpg

ei2j2g.jpg

I'll post some more images later showing the stand that was painted with Vallejo's metallic 'Gunmetal Gray', once the battery on my digital camera has been recharged.

I really like this kit, though the kit seem to have one subtle flaw at the front and to the side a bit, where you can see the seams from the two big pieces that doesn't get covered by the parts on the side.

I used some photo etch and it was ok, though I had to mask the photo etch to paint the big parts both gray and black. I think ideally, the PE should have been made differently because of that.

The WIP thread is here.

Edited by Housesparrow
  • Like 3

Thanks! :)

I am glad I went for a dark gray panel line color, and not a black one, because that might have looked cartoony.

I *really* want to buy another IKEA Detolf glass cabinet, but I live on the 5th floor and I cringe at the thought of having to carry such heavy stuff down the stairs when I eventually move out of the place where I live. One of my chairs weighs 40+ Kg. :|

Edited by Housesparrow

Cool congrats! i never get tired of seeing this ship!

Do those ikea cabinets still have holes in the sides? I had one about 20yrs ago and it let dust in the sides, i thought about sellotaping them shut but it would have looked awfull haha!

@68 SQUADRON, I did hold it like a toy in my hands. :) As a kid, when traveling on a train, I could look out the window and imagine the Millennium Falcon fly beside the train dodging the obstacles. :D

The first thing I did when I got my Tetolf glass cabinet, was to try figure out how I could make it air tight. I never found a way unfortunately. there are gaps all around the door. Luckily, the door itself seem to prevent the biggest pieces of dust to settle inside, but I do see the fine dust is settling. It is unfortunate, but somewhat acceptable. I only hope the fine dust isn't settling onto the model in such a way that this fine dust can't be blown off.

I have to say, regardless of the sandpaper look of the newly painted surface after having airbrushed regular color onto the model, after a few layers of Humbrol Clear, and a final layer of Matte or Satin Varnish, the surface looks really smooth. :) I made an effort at not airbrushing too much of the Humbrol Clear liquid near the masks to avoid the stuff pooling up against the tape. As I peeled off the masking tape, I couldn't tell I had airbrushed some Humbrol Clear over the masking tape.

As mentioned in my WIP thread, the Vallejo Metal color was applied by filling half of the airbrush paint cup with thinner, and then adding drops of the Vallejo Metal color into it, worked great!

Edited by Housesparrow