Mr Paint, lovely stuff.

Duncan B

A few months ago I went and bought the entire RLM colour range from Mr Paint. These are a lacquer based acrylic paints that come pre mixed in glass bottles for airbrushing only, similar to Alclad.

I have only just had the chance to try them out on a complete kit and thought I'd let you all know that they are superb paints to use. I used Mr Paint's white primer as a base and it went on very smoothly and only required a light buff with an old cotton T shirt (to remove the bits of dust I'd managed to miss) to prepare it for the top coat colours.

The colours I've used so far are RLM02, 04, 70 and 71 along with some of their basic white and black. All colours went on super smoothly with good coverage, even the 04 Yellow, and they all dried very quickly to a semi gloss finish (except the basic black and white). They were touch dry to a very smooth finish within an hour but I did wait for several hours before applying masking tape just in case they hadn't fully cured. The masking tape didn't lift any paint on removal and didn't mark the paint at all. I have also discovered that Gunze's Mr Color Thinners will work with this brand of paint if required, which is handy, if like me, you have a lot of this stuff already.

I'm very impressed so far with these paints and they will possibly even replace my current favourite paint, Mr Color/Hobby from Gunze. Today I will be spraying on a coat of Mr Paint's super Clear Gloss for decaling and weathering onto so I'll see how that goes.

Duncan B

• Like 5

Thanks for this Duncan, it is very interesting. I am not very up to date with paints, although I do use only acrylics, so could you advise me what RLM is please? I've heard it mentioned many times but not known its meaning.

cheers

Mike

So the "Mr" label makes them a Gunze Sangyo product.......? (thus ensuring quality and compatibility issues...?!)

No, I'm pretty sure Duncan is referring to the brand of paints made in Slovakia http://mrpaint.sk/

Thanks for this Duncan, it is very interesting. I am not very up to date with paints, although I do use only acrylics, so could you advise me what RLM is please? I've heard it mentioned many times but not known its meaning.

cheers

Mike

RLM (Reichs Luftfahrt Ministerium) was the German colour standard used during WW2.

Ah, that explains it. I didn't realise that they were colours for Luftwaffe aircraft only :banghead:. I've had a look on their site and see that they also do British and US colours so might give them a try.

Thanks

Mike

• Like 1

cheers

Mike

It's the formal 1930-40s Luftwaffe paint colours list number. RLM stands for Reichsluftfahrt Ministerium (State Ministry for Aviation). They standardized as many things as possible and one of these was paint colours, which were known by a RLM number.

It's the formal 1930-40s Luftwaffe paint colours list number. RLM stands for Reichsluftfahrt Ministerium (State Ministry for Aviation). They standardized as many things as possible and one of these was paint colours, which were known by a RLM number.

Actually, only RLM 02 was labeled such. The others were simply referred to by their number , e.g. "Lichtblau 76". But it's become customary among modelers to attach the "RLM" acronym to all German colour codes of the time.

• Like 1

Ant is quite correct, these are the Slovakian paints I'm referring to. I suspect they are aimed directly at Gunze users (like myself) as they are very similar as far as I can tell with the exception that they come pre thinned.

I bought mine directly from Mr Paint's Webstore a few months ago but I'll use Blackbird Models for future supplies of the stuff.

Mr Paint have quite a large and ever expanding line of paints for AFVs, aircraft etc, well worth a look at their website that Ant gives the link for in his post above.

Duncan B

• 2 years later...

What was your impressions of their gloss clear coat?  I have a lot of their color paints, and absolutely love them.  Best paints I have ever used.  But I have no experience with their clear coats.

Stephen

• Like 1

What about Mr Metal Color which I use it a lot, apply it by paint brush and then polish the paint, when dry!

Has anyone sprayed the stuff and if so, any tips and what do you use to clean the airbrush with, afterwards?

TIA

Could anyone post a picture close up of the gloss finish that can be achieved with the respective MRP clears? (In the interest of elimitating subjectivity) 

I'm still looking for my definitive gloss layer before decals, sounds like this could be it! How are curing time sand durability to weathering?

Does it beat Tamiya gloss clear with levelling thinner? I can get a good shine with that but it seems to take an age to really cure 100%. 

Cheers,

David

I suspect though that the MRP Gloss coats are Lacquer based aren’t they not? If so, I’d be a little hesitant to apply this over anything but Mr Paint, Gunze Mr Colors or even the new Tamiya range of Lacquers paints. 

Anyway - I’m also interested to follow this thread as I’ve used (and love) using MRP’s paints.

Cheers.. Dave 

4 hours ago, stephen17 said:

Also, not related and probably a dumb question, but how do I get the site to send me an email when there is a response to a thread I'm following (like this one)?

Stephen

Above the "Reply to this topic" there is a "Follow" button. 

@Rabbit Leader: they are lacquer. Haven't used their glosses but I've played with their Chrome (which is Acrylic Lacquer) over Revell's enamels. As long as you put thin layers you're fine, but if you mess up and get pooling it will start to dissolve enamels (and probably regular acrylics).

Edited by bmwh548
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1